Cardozo ($$$) v. Rutgers-Newark ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Rutgers- Newark ($$$) vs. Cardozo ($$$)

Rutgers- Newark
27%
Cardozo
73%

Total votes: 15

donewithannarbor

Re: Cardozo ($$$) v. Rutgers-Newark ($$$)

Postby donewithannarbor » Tue May 12, 2015 2:24 pm

The "places better in NY" argument is sort of fallacious, and also somewhat beside the point. Indeed, a higher percentage of Cardozo grads practice in NY than Rutgers alums. Might that be due to the fact that Rutgers is the state university of New Jersey, and Cardozo is not. It's a classic selection bias statistic, coupled with the differences in the NJ and NY judiciary (inasmuch as NJ hires post-grad law clerks in abundance, probably 150-250 a year between Rutgers alums, Seton alums, and out of staters, while the NY judiciary does not really offer these jobs for new attorneys). Whether one school "places better" in NYC is properly assessed by: 'what percentage of students seeking NYC employment end up with NYC employment?' Unfortunately, the ABA and LST do not provide us those statistics.

Having said that, the LST/ABA statistics do specifically identify the percentage going into BigLaw (firms of over 200, obviously just about all NYC firms) and, as OP saw, Rutgers has a slight edge there, and a more considerable edge in the overall employment outcomes. Ultimately, it's to be expected that every year about 75% of RU-N grads go into NJ-based jobs, and the remainder to NYC or elsewhere. That's hardly earthshattering, nor does it speak to your relative advantages to obtain an NYC-based job if that's what you seek out all along. My peers and I have lived these stats in recent years and it has not been our experience that people seeking NYC are getting turned away from NYC; I have classmates at various big firms, smaller firms, prosecutors offices, and public interest work Manhattan-Brooklyn-etc. Happy to share detailed anecdotes offline.

nj1412

Postby nj1412 » Sat May 30, 2015 1:17 pm

NJSplitter wrote:While some compelling arguments have been made, I'm seriously leaning towards Cardozo.

Does anyone know if Cardozo is willing to negotiate scholarship stipulations? While I hope and plan for it to never be an issue, I would feel more comfortable (especially for my 2L/3L years) if Cardozo's stipulation (2.9 gpa roughly top 80% of class) was similar to Rutgers' (2.67 GPA).

Thanks for all the feedback and I'm still greatly interested in anyone's thoughts/advice.

Cardozo 3L here. Its basically impossible to lose your scholarship. I don't think anyone's lost it in the past 2 years. You really have to try to get lower than a B-.

Happy to answer questions, procrastinating on bar prep.

FirmBiz

Postby FirmBiz » Sat May 30, 2015 2:15 pm

nj1412 wrote:
NJSplitter wrote:While some compelling arguments have been made, I'm seriously leaning towards Cardozo.

Does anyone know if Cardozo is willing to negotiate scholarship stipulations? While I hope and plan for it to never be an issue, I would feel more comfortable (especially for my 2L/3L years) if Cardozo's stipulation (2.9 gpa roughly top 80% of class) was similar to Rutgers' (2.67 GPA).

Thanks for all the feedback and I'm still greatly interested in anyone's thoughts/advice.

Cardozo 3L here. Its basically impossible to lose your scholarship. I don't think anyone's lost it in the past 2 years. You really have to try to get lower than a B-.

How is the student life at the school? Are the students overly competitive?

How do you feel about the quality of education you are receiving?

How is the job search going?

nj1412

Postby nj1412 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:01 pm

FirmBiz wrote:
nj1412 wrote:

The students here are not competative except for the one or two gunners in a few 1L classes. I've missed several classes for random reasons and people offer me notes every time, and the 2 and 3L's will ask you what profs you have and send you all their outlines which means I never actually made my own outline in law school. We get a pretty chill group overall and because the scholarship stipulation is so lax, nobody gets too bent out of shape. I didn't have friends in NYC when I moved here and now I have a close group of friends from school and its easy to meet people because when a group of people go out, especially 1L year, they'll post on the class FB wall and invite anyone who is interested.

I've personally had a pretty good experience with my profs. They generally have very interesting experiences (White House Counsel, Supreme Court Clerk) and don't get all stuffy about you stoping by and saying "Hey that thing you talked about in class today was way over my head". Also a lot of profs will help hook you up with internships and jobs.

I have a job as of a few months ago. I was one of the last people I know to get one which was stressful, but I guess that says good things about our job stats going up. I have 4-5 friends still looking but Dozo got all paranoid after the most recent rankings so they have been blasting us with posting for the last month which is also good.

FirmBiz

Postby FirmBiz » Sat May 30, 2015 9:08 pm

nj1412 wrote:
FirmBiz wrote:
nj1412 wrote:

The students here are not competative except for the one or two gunners in a few 1L classes. I've missed several classes for random reasons and people offer me notes every time, and the 2 and 3L's will ask you what profs you have and send you all their outlines which means I never actually made my own outline in law school. We get a pretty chill group overall and because the scholarship stipulation is so lax, nobody gets too bent out of shape. I didn't have friends in NYC when I moved here and now I have a close group of friends from school and its easy to meet people because when a group of people go out, especially 1L year, they'll post on the class FB wall and invite anyone who is interested.

I've personally had a pretty good experience with my profs. They generally have very interesting experiences (White House Counsel, Supreme Court Clerk) and don't get all stuffy about you stoping by and saying "Hey that thing you talked about in class today was way over my head". Also a lot of profs will help hook you up with internships and jobs.

I have a job as of a few months ago. I was one of the last people I know to get one which was stressful, but I guess that says good things about our job stats going up. I have 4-5 friends still looking but Dozo got all paranoid after the most recent rankings so they have been blasting us with posting for the last month which is also good.

All of this sounds great, thanks for the information.

nj1412

Postby nj1412 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:07 pm

FirmBiz wrote:
nj1412 wrote:
FirmBiz wrote:
nj1412 wrote:

All of this sounds great, thanks for the information.

Sure thing, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”