Harvard v UVA ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
orchid1

New

Harvard v UVA ($$$)

Post by orchid1 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:34 am

Hi everyone,

I was offered an interview off the waitlist at Harvard yesterday. I know of course that does not mean I'll get accepted, but I just want to make extra sure I know what I'd do in the chance I do get admitted. My family will help cover living expenses, so tuition is the major factor. I don't anticipate qualifying for any financial aid. I've seen a few Darrow v. Harvard threads but hadn't seen a Dillard-specific one

1. Dillard at UVA: COA: ~$60,000. If I attended UVA, I would work with my own savings/family contribution so as to not take out federal loans for it.

2. Harvard at stocker: COA: $223,000. Paying with loans, should be eligible for LIPP

Hope to work somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic region (or elsewhere in the Northeast but I'm flexible). I want to go into public interest work-- I know for sure what area issue-wise within PI I want to do (don't want to give too many details, but could provide more via PM if super helpful). I anticipate working in a non-profit setting, though it is feasible I could pursue government prosecution work for this. Stats are 3.8X and 172 (took twice).

I'm pretty sure what everyone is going to say, but I'm still wondering if there are certain opportunities, especially for PI work, that Harvard can open doors to more readily than UVA.

Thanks!

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Re: Harvard v UVA ($$$)

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Fri May 08, 2015 10:40 am

I don't think you can go wrong with the Dillard. Especially given that you're PI interested, minimizing debt seems like it should be a primary concern. Congrats on the great outcome!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 08, 2015 11:02 am

dillard fellowship. congrats!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 08, 2015 2:44 pm

The good news is that you don't yet have any decision to make. However, if accepted to Harvard, go to Virginia with a full tuition scholarship & buy a T-shirt that reads "I turned down Harvard Law".

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 08, 2015 3:45 pm

similar situation but would not take H at that cost. <100k I'd say yes but not 220+

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”