For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Broncos15

Bronze

For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

Post by Broncos15 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:01 am

Hey,

I am looking to apply for a full ride LS scholarship through a connection my undergrad institution has with the law school.

Does LSAC truncate GPA or round up GPA ( ie. if my Cumulative GPA was a 3.597 does it truncate to 3.59 or does it round up to 3.6)

On the scholarship form it says a 3.6 LSAC GPA is necessary with no exceptions so that's why I ask ( yes, as a Senior finishing up so it is very possible I wind up in this 3.597 position)
Last edited by Broncos15 on Fri May 08, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

leslieknope

Silver

Re: For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

Post by leslieknope » Fri May 08, 2015 1:15 am

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

This calculated my LSDAS GPA accurately, so maybe try counting your credits and entering them into this.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 08, 2015 1:17 am

LSDAS rounds up

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri May 08, 2015 1:47 am

LSAC will round it, but in a slightly odd way. They will calculate each years average and round it. Then they take the 4 years and average/round that.

edit: to clarify, they multiply each year's average by the credit hours earned for weighting purposes.

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:27 am

Actually my GPA (both with the way my school calculated it and LSAC calculated it) was 3.X45 and LSAC made it 3.X4 not 3.X5 (if that makes sense)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

a corsair

New

Post by a corsair » Fri May 08, 2015 4:52 pm

Auxilio wrote:LSAC will round it, but in a slightly odd way. They will calculate each years average and round it. Then they take the 4 years and average/round that.

edit: to clarify, they multiply each year's average by the credit hours earned for weighting purposes.
If you're looking for accuracy to 0.01, then this is the correct response. LSAC will look at your grades for a full academic year and determine a GPA for that year to 0.01 (using the round half up rule, i.e. 3.125 will round to 3.13). LSAC will then do this for all your academic years of grades, and then average out the year GPAs weighted by credits.

In other words, LSAC does an extra rounding step (at the calculation of your GPA for the academic year, and then calculating your overall GPA from your year-based GPAs, rather than directly calculating your overall GPA from your individual classes, which is what the LSDAS calculator does).

None of the other above answers (including the calculator) will provide you the accuracy you are looking for (but it will only ever vary by 0.01). If the calculator gave you the right GPA to 0.01, then it is by rounding luck.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri May 08, 2015 5:04 pm

a corsair wrote:
Auxilio wrote:LSAC will round it, but in a slightly odd way. They will calculate each years average and round it. Then they take the 4 years and average/round that.

If you're looking for accuracy to 0.01, then this is the correct response. LSAC will look at your grades for a full academic year and determine a GPA for that year to 0.01 (using the round half up rule, i.e. 3.125 will round to 3.13). LSAC will then do this for all your academic years of grades, and then average out the year GPAs weighted by credits.

In other words, LSAC does an extra rounding step (at the calculation of your GPA for the academic year, and then calculating your overall GPA from your year-based GPAs, rather than directly calculating your overall GPA from your individual classes, which is what the LSDAS calculator does).

None of the other above answers (including the calculator) will provide you the accuracy you are looking for (but it will only ever vary by 0.01). If the calculator gave you the right GPA to 0.01, then it is by rounding luck.
Yeah I doubt it is hugely significant for most applicants, for me it was the deciding factor between if I was over a couple schools 75th so I was curious when it got higher than I thought, but for most it is unimportant.

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:47 pm

Auxilio wrote:
a corsair wrote:

Yeah I doubt it is hugely significant for most applicants, for me it was the deciding factor between if I was over a couple schools 75th so I was curious when it got higher than I thought, but for most it is unimportant.
i don't really care about the .01 difference....I only am concerned for scholarship purposes since no exceptions are made under a 3.6

JFO1833

Bronze

Post by JFO1833 » Fri May 08, 2015 6:17 pm

You should make sure that you are calculating the GPA the was LSAC does, it may bear only a passing resemblance to your undergrad GPA generally (they may have different rules about things like A+s or retaking courses).

You also need to make sure any undergrad credits from before your BA are included (including courses you might have taken at a community college or something).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

a corsair

New

Post by a corsair » Sat May 09, 2015 2:29 am

Broncos15 wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
a corsair wrote:

i don't really care about the .01 difference....I only am concerned for scholarship purposes since no exceptions are made under a 3.6
........ You do realize that the difference you are asking about is the 0.01 difference that I addressed (3.59 vs 3.60) right?

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Sat May 09, 2015 12:36 pm

........ You do realize that the difference you are asking about is the 0.01 difference that I addressed (3.59 vs 3.60) right?
Yes I only meant to quote the part about that for most applicants it is unimportant

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”