For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Broncos15
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:25 am

For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

Postby Broncos15 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:01 am

Hey,

I am looking to apply for a full ride LS scholarship through a connection my undergrad institution has with the law school.

Does LSAC truncate GPA or round up GPA ( ie. if my Cumulative GPA was a 3.597 does it truncate to 3.59 or does it round up to 3.6)

On the scholarship form it says a 3.6 LSAC GPA is necessary with no exceptions so that's why I ask ( yes, as a Senior finishing up so it is very possible I wind up in this 3.597 position)
Last edited by Broncos15 on Fri May 08, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
leslieknope
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

Postby leslieknope » Fri May 08, 2015 1:15 am

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

This calculated my LSDAS GPA accurately, so maybe try counting your credits and entering them into this.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 08, 2015 1:17 am

LSDAS rounds up

User avatar
Auxilio
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Re: For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

Postby Auxilio » Fri May 08, 2015 1:47 am

LSAC will round it, but in a slightly odd way. They will calculate each years average and round it. Then they take the 4 years and average/round that.

edit: to clarify, they multiply each year's average by the credit hours earned for weighting purposes.

hearsay77
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

Postby hearsay77 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:27 am

Actually my GPA (both with the way my school calculated it and LSAC calculated it) was 3.X45 and LSAC made it 3.X4 not 3.X5 (if that makes sense)

a corsair
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

Postby a corsair » Fri May 08, 2015 4:52 pm

Auxilio wrote:LSAC will round it, but in a slightly odd way. They will calculate each years average and round it. Then they take the 4 years and average/round that.

edit: to clarify, they multiply each year's average by the credit hours earned for weighting purposes.


If you're looking for accuracy to 0.01, then this is the correct response. LSAC will look at your grades for a full academic year and determine a GPA for that year to 0.01 (using the round half up rule, i.e. 3.125 will round to 3.13). LSAC will then do this for all your academic years of grades, and then average out the year GPAs weighted by credits.

In other words, LSAC does an extra rounding step (at the calculation of your GPA for the academic year, and then calculating your overall GPA from your year-based GPAs, rather than directly calculating your overall GPA from your individual classes, which is what the LSDAS calculator does).

None of the other above answers (including the calculator) will provide you the accuracy you are looking for (but it will only ever vary by 0.01). If the calculator gave you the right GPA to 0.01, then it is by rounding luck.

User avatar
Auxilio
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Re: For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

Postby Auxilio » Fri May 08, 2015 5:04 pm

a corsair wrote:
Auxilio wrote:LSAC will round it, but in a slightly odd way. They will calculate each years average and round it. Then they take the 4 years and average/round that.

edit: to clarify, they multiply each year's average by the credit hours earned for weighting purposes.


If you're looking for accuracy to 0.01, then this is the correct response. LSAC will look at your grades for a full academic year and determine a GPA for that year to 0.01 (using the round half up rule, i.e. 3.125 will round to 3.13). LSAC will then do this for all your academic years of grades, and then average out the year GPAs weighted by credits.

In other words, LSAC does an extra rounding step (at the calculation of your GPA for the academic year, and then calculating your overall GPA from your year-based GPAs, rather than directly calculating your overall GPA from your individual classes, which is what the LSDAS calculator does).

None of the other above answers (including the calculator) will provide you the accuracy you are looking for (but it will only ever vary by 0.01). If the calculator gave you the right GPA to 0.01, then it is by rounding luck.


Yeah I doubt it is hugely significant for most applicants, for me it was the deciding factor between if I was over a couple schools 75th so I was curious when it got higher than I thought, but for most it is unimportant.

Broncos15
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:25 am

Re: For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

Postby Broncos15 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:47 pm

Auxilio wrote:
a corsair wrote:
Auxilio wrote:LSAC will round it, but in a slightly odd way. They will calculate each years average and round it. Then they take the 4 years and average/round that.

edit: to clarify, they multiply each year's average by the credit hours earned for weighting purposes.


If you're looking for accuracy to 0.01, then this is the correct response. LSAC will look at your grades for a full academic year and determine a GPA for that year to 0.01 (using the round half up rule, i.e. 3.125 will round to 3.13). LSAC will then do this for all your academic years of grades, and then average out the year GPAs weighted by credits.

In other words, LSAC does an extra rounding step (at the calculation of your GPA for the academic year, and then calculating your overall GPA from your year-based GPAs, rather than directly calculating your overall GPA from your individual classes, which is what the LSDAS calculator does).

None of the other above answers (including the calculator) will provide you the accuracy you are looking for (but it will only ever vary by 0.01). If the calculator gave you the right GPA to 0.01, then it is by rounding luck.


Yeah I doubt it is hugely significant for most applicants, for me it was the deciding factor between if I was over a couple schools 75th so I was curious when it got higher than I thought, but for most it is unimportant.


i don't really care about the .01 difference....I only am concerned for scholarship purposes since no exceptions are made under a 3.6

JFO1833
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Re: For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

Postby JFO1833 » Fri May 08, 2015 6:17 pm

You should make sure that you are calculating the GPA the was LSAC does, it may bear only a passing resemblance to your undergrad GPA generally (they may have different rules about things like A+s or retaking courses).

You also need to make sure any undergrad credits from before your BA are included (including courses you might have taken at a community college or something).

a corsair
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

Postby a corsair » Sat May 09, 2015 2:29 am

Broncos15 wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
a corsair wrote:
Auxilio wrote:LSAC will round it, but in a slightly odd way. They will calculate each years average and round it. Then they take the 4 years and average/round that.

edit: to clarify, they multiply each year's average by the credit hours earned for weighting purposes.


If you're looking for accuracy to 0.01, then this is the correct response. LSAC will look at your grades for a full academic year and determine a GPA for that year to 0.01 (using the round half up rule, i.e. 3.125 will round to 3.13). LSAC will then do this for all your academic years of grades, and then average out the year GPAs weighted by credits.

In other words, LSAC does an extra rounding step (at the calculation of your GPA for the academic year, and then calculating your overall GPA from your year-based GPAs, rather than directly calculating your overall GPA from your individual classes, which is what the LSDAS calculator does).

None of the other above answers (including the calculator) will provide you the accuracy you are looking for (but it will only ever vary by 0.01). If the calculator gave you the right GPA to 0.01, then it is by rounding luck.


Yeah I doubt it is hugely significant for most applicants, for me it was the deciding factor between if I was over a couple schools 75th so I was curious when it got higher than I thought, but for most it is unimportant.


i don't really care about the .01 difference....I only am concerned for scholarship purposes since no exceptions are made under a 3.6


........ You do realize that the difference you are asking about is the 0.01 difference that I addressed (3.59 vs 3.60) right?

Broncos15
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:25 am

Re: For Scholarships How does LSAC Round GPA?

Postby Broncos15 » Sat May 09, 2015 12:36 pm


........ You do realize that the difference you are asking about is the 0.01 difference that I addressed (3.59 vs 3.60) right?


Yes I only meant to quote the part about that for most applicants it is unimportant




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests