NYU $ v Berkeley $$$$. Am I crazy? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: NYU $ v Berkeley $$$$. Am I crazy?

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 12, 2015 7:45 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:NYU is better. But not worth the cost difference.

Keker and Van Nest is the classic example of the elite boutique (non-NLJ250) that hires only HYSB but that's probably 1-2 people. There might be others.
Why would you say this about KVN? E.g. http://www.kvn.com/Lawyers/Rothstein-Ben; http://www.kvn.com/Lawyers/Lazarus-Kate; ect. Plenty of attorneys not from those four schools.
Those links are broken but I'll take a wild guess that those two people went to CLS.
Yup

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue May 12, 2015 7:48 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Regardless, as I said earlier in this thread, OP is a fucking idiot if they pay $200k to go to NYU when they have this berkeley option on the table. Very comparable opportunities from either school. I'm not fighting y'all here
That's all I'm saying too. The "V25" argument isn't carrying the day for NYU with this kind of cost difference.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 12, 2015 7:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Keker and Van Nest is the classic example of the elite boutique (non-NLJ250) that hires only HYSB but that's probably 1-2 people. There might be others.
Why would you say this about KVN? E.g. http://www.kvn.com/Lawyers/Rothstein-Ben; http://www.kvn.com/Lawyers/Lazarus-Kate; ect. Plenty of attorneys not from those four schools.
We've got 11 associates from Boalt and 0 from NYU. Don't be dense. If you want to balance it out point out small boutiques that tend to only hire NYU and not Berk.
I don't know if I buy into this whole "berkeley grads self select into elite firms more often than east coast schools so that clears their weak NLJ" schtick. NYU has better firm numbers because more students get jobs at firms. Anyone who wants to work at a super elite boutique has to be an incredibly impressive candidate from either school so it's hardly a relevant metric.
Two things. First, I didn't say anything about Berkeley NLJ vs. NYU NLJ numbers. I simply answered the OP's "can we assume [that working outside the NLJ 250] is a bad thing?" The answer is, no, you can't assume that for Berkeley. You can't assume that for NYU either.

Second, there is a lot of daylight between "super elite boutique" and "solid boutique that pays somewhat less than market and offers interesting work." There are a fair number of the latter in California. There are probably quite a few in NYC as well, though I'm not familiar with them.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Tue May 12, 2015 8:09 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

We've got 11 associates from Boalt and 0 from NYU. Don't be dense. If you want to balance it out point out small boutiques that tend to only hire NYU and not Berk.
What are you talking about? KVN has 3 lawyers from NYU and 17 from Boalt.

OP, you're foolish if you go to NYU and not Berkeley in this situation. Seriously, just go to Berkeley.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue May 12, 2015 8:17 pm

stasg wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote: We've got 11 associates from Boalt and 0 from NYU.
What are you talking about? KVN has 3 lawyers from NYU and 17 from Boalt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Comma.Split

Bronze

Post by Comma.Split » Tue May 19, 2015 6:16 pm

Managed to negotiate a 50k bump at NYU using Berkeley's offer. Total COA comes to 60k (Berkeley) 150k (NYU). Does this change the calculus? I have to decide by tomorrow.

sesto elemento

Gold

Post by sesto elemento » Tue May 19, 2015 6:25 pm

I wouldn't pay 90k extra for NYU over Boalt. If your goal is big law in NY, Boalt can get you there. But it seems like you really want to go to NYU, so just do it. Later on you can regret not saving that 90k + interest.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Tue May 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Sure NYU is "better" for those interests and has a more sophisticated international program,
Perhaps on the margin, but true international work requires prestige, and that means HYS, for a decent chance at a unicorn job. NYU just ain't $140k better.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 19, 2015 6:43 pm

sesto elemento wrote:I wouldn't pay 90k extra for NYU over Boalt. If your goal is big law in NY, Boalt can get you there. But it seems like you really want to go to NYU, so just do it. Later on you can regret not saving that 90k + interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:15 pm

rpupkin wrote:
sesto elemento wrote:I wouldn't pay 90k extra for NYU over Boalt. If your goal is big law in NY, Boalt can get you there. But it seems like you really want to go to NYU, so just do it. Later on you can regret not saving that 90k + interest.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”