going to a canadian or australian law school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoolbound94
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:32 am

going to a canadian or australian law school?

Postby lawschoolbound94 » Wed May 06, 2015 7:08 pm

Has anyone done this or considered it?

I must admit, I'm very much considering it. But I'd like to ..know more and I've got some questions.

1. If I understand correctly lawyers in Canada & Australia bill the same way US lawyers would? (Like there's not a limit is there?)

2. Is it harder or easier to get accepted to Canadian and Australian law schools compared to the US?

Any other info would be great.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: going to a canadian or australian law school?

Postby iShotFirst » Wed May 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Have you thought of the work visa situation? If you are not a Canadian or Australian citizen you would definitely need to look into that before going any further with this idea.

I dont know about Australia, but I can imagine its similar to Canada which I am familiar with: there is no limit but the salaries are not going to be as high at the top (165k market or whatever). In addition in Canada after graduation you need to do an articling period, kind of like a residency for doctors in which you receive low pay and you are learning how to be a lawyer. 10 months in Ontario I believe, could be less or more elsewhere.

In terms of difficulty, there are FAR fewer law schools in Canada (fifteen), of course there is a lower population but even per capita it is far fewer. So it would make sense that they are more difficult to get into relatively.

But the visa thing is the number 1 question you need to answer first.

lawschoolbound94
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:32 am

Re: going to a canadian or australian law school?

Postby lawschoolbound94 » Wed May 06, 2015 7:18 pm

iShotFirst wrote:Have you thought of the work visa situation? If you are not a Canadian or Australian citizen you would definitely need to look into that before going any further with this idea.

I dont know about Australia, but I can imagine its similar to Canada which I am familiar with: there is no limit but the salaries are not going to be as high at the top (165k market or whatever). In addition in Canada after graduation you need to do an articling period, kind of like a residency for doctors in which you receive low pay and you are learning how to be a lawyer. 10 months in Ontario I believe, could be less or more elsewhere.

In terms of difficulty, there are FAR fewer law schools in Canada (fifteen), of course there is a lower population but even per capita it is far fewer. So it would make sense that they are more difficult to get into relatively.

But the visa thing is the number 1 question you need to answer first.


Thanks, I have looked into visas and I would qualify after I graduate and work for a year.

Lad
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Re: going to a canadian or australian law school?

Postby Lad » Wed May 06, 2015 7:26 pm

lawschoolbound94 wrote:Has anyone done this or considered it?

I must admit, I'm very much considering it. But I'd like to ..know more and I've got some questions.

1. If I understand correctly lawyers in Canada & Australia bill the same way US lawyers would? (Like there's not a limit is there?)

2. Is it harder or easier to get accepted to Canadian and Australian law schools compared to the US?

Any other info would be great.
Last edited by Lad on Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolbound94
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:32 am

Re: going to a canadian or australian law school?

Postby lawschoolbound94 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:09 pm

Anyone know about the UK?

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: going to a canadian or australian law school?

Postby iShotFirst » Wed May 06, 2015 9:41 pm

One more thing about Canada, they dont really give out scholarships like you can find at US schools with high LSATs. And it can be tough to get student aid.

User avatar
Manteca
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: going to a canadian or australian law school?

Postby Manteca » Wed May 06, 2015 9:49 pm

iShotFirst wrote:One more thing about Canada, they dont really give out scholarships like you can find at US schools with high LSATs. And it can be tough to get student aid.


That being said, at most schools the tuition is significantly lower than the US (i.e. max of 20-25k per year outside of U of T, if memory serves me right).

Lad
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Re: going to a canadian or australian law school?

Postby Lad » Wed May 06, 2015 11:23 pm

Manteca wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:One more thing about Canada, they dont really give out scholarships like you can find at US schools with high LSATs. And it can be tough to get student aid.


That being said, at most schools the tuition is significantly lower than the US (i.e. max of 20-25k per year outside of U of T, if memory serves me right).




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, poptart123, Torres1893 and 1 guest