Vanderbilt (~25K cost) Vs. UC Hastings (~5K cost)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Vandy vs Hastings

Defer at Vandy
3%
Vandy this Year
24%
Defer at Hastings
3%
Hastings this year
No votes
Retake the LSAT
69%

Total votes: 29

BigZuck

Re: Vanderbilt (~25K cost) Vs. UC Hastings (~5K cost)

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Look Californialoser- I didn't even say I agreed with rpuppies (full disclosure: given his background I'm inclined to believe him, but I didn't say that I did). I was just trying to help you understand what he was saying. It looked like you needed help.

But yes, yes. I have REAMS of e-space dedicated to the notions that one can will themselves into the top 10%, you can be BIG LAW SECURE if you hit some pre-determined class rank, and that UC Hastings isn't a dumpster fire. You're right on that one.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:10 pm

If your basis for wanting to do international law is that you think it would be cool to spend a few weeks in Venice (most cross-border work is Milan and Roma btw) then I think we can safely discount that as a realistic career path for you. (Just wondering, which movies have you seen that make you pick Venice as your "I get to do cool lawyer stuff in Western Europe" fantasy? Indiana Jones?)

All TLS stock hazing aside, based on the fact that you want NYC/CA markets and international stuff it sounds like you really want biglaw. Unfortunately, you need to retake and grab a T14 to make that happen.

akili

Postby akili » Wed May 06, 2015 10:38 pm

timbs4339 wrote:If your basis for wanting to do international law is that you think it would be cool to spend a few weeks in Venice (most cross-border work is Milan and Roma btw) then I think we can safely discount that as a realistic career path for you. (Just wondering, which movies have you seen that make you pick Venice as your "I get to do cool lawyer stuff in Western Europe" fantasy? Indiana Jones?)

All TLS stock hazing aside, based on the fact that you want NYC/CA markets and international stuff it sounds like you really want biglaw. Unfortunately, you need to retake and grab a T14 to make that happen.

He didn't pick it. Vandy has a summer program in Venice that would be paid for with his scholarship.

rahulg91

Postby rahulg91 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:14 pm

WCL24 wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Your opportunities don't comport with your goals. I don't think any of the possibilities you've proposed are a good fit for what you want to do. I'd sit out a cycle and retake/reapply, unless there's a really compelling reason why you can't do that.

I realize its predominantly a regional school; most grads will end up in TN. But given the schools I got into, and the other schools in T15-T20 it seemed the best option as it was the least regional, based on LST numbers. It seemed like, if I did well (I know that's not certain) I would at least have some options for getting to CA or NY. Am I way off on this?

I actually don't think you're way off on this. Also ~20% of grads end up in TN, not really "most" grads. Around 10% end up in NY, another 10% in DC, and 10% in Texas. If you really want CA, don't go to Vandy. NY is doable at Vandy even outside top of the class, but I wouldn't bet on it.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu May 07, 2015 4:42 pm

defer at vandy and max out your LSAT retakes and get a job. reapply next year.

if u don't get LSAT increase, only go to vandy next year knowing you could be doing uninteresting lawyerly things in TN for 10 years.

WCL24

Postby WCL24 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:41 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:defer at vandy and max out your LSAT retakes and get a job. reapply next year.

if u don't get LSAT increase, only go to vandy next year knowing you could be doing uninteresting lawyerly things in TN for 10 years.

This seems the best option at this point. Not pumped on the idea of graduating and being 30+ but I think with an extra year, I'll be able to save some money, increase my softs and hopefully bump up my LSAT a couple points.

Now, next question: what does deferring look like?
Vandy made it seem like I basically had to sign a contract that I would attend next year - is this true? Is this how it typically works? Just looking for some idea of what's in store

adil91

Postby adil91 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:00 pm

Umm ya if you defer you're legally obligated to attend next year

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun May 17, 2015 9:50 am

WCL24 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:defer at vandy and max out your LSAT retakes and get a job. reapply next year.

This seems the best option at this point. Not pumped on the idea of graduating and being 30+ but I think with an extra year, I'll be able to save some money, increase my softs and hopefully bump up my LSAT a couple points.

Now, next question: what does deferring look like?
Vandy made it seem like I basically had to sign a contract that I would attend next year - is this true? Is this how it typically works? Just looking for some idea of what's in store

obv just call/email the admissions dept. make sure u have a good excuse handy.

WCL24

Postby WCL24 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:18 pm

adil91 wrote:Umm ya if you defer you're legally obligated to attend next year

Then how does it work for me to defer, yet take the LSAT again and then apply to other schools if I get an increase? Don't know how closely Vandy would monitor the actions of their deferrals but seems like taking the LSAT would throw up some red flags and possibly get me into trouble

adil91

Postby adil91 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:45 pm

WCL24 wrote:
adil91 wrote:Umm ya if you defer you're legally obligated to attend next year

Then how does it work for me to defer, yet take the LSAT again and then apply to other schools if I get an increase? Don't know how closely Vandy would monitor the actions of their deferrals but seems like taking the LSAT would throw up some red flags and possibly get me into trouble

Don't defer then. If you defer you have to attend next year. Just take the LSAT again and apply

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Either Vandy or retake.

You'd be crazy to pick UC Ha$$$$TTTTings. Huge Diploma mill, 20ish% unemployment, another 20+% temporary jobs, and don't forget this is out of 400+ Graduates every damn YEAR. SF is a beautiful city but not beautiful enough to persuade one to attend this dung heap diploma factory.

Vandy or retake kiddo

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Tue May 19, 2015 5:26 pm

All I'm here to say is, if you defer, read the fine print. Don't get yourself into trouble over trying to finagle a marginally better outcome for yourself.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”