Columbia vs. Chicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Hikikomorist

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago

Postby Hikikomorist » Thu May 07, 2015 10:40 pm

krads153 wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:
krads153 wrote:lol at Columbia costing 80k for third year....I can't believe people still pay these prices for law school. Biglaw salaries haven't gone up since 2007 and won't be going up any time, so they should go to 190k soon, while tuition has gone up by like 150k and rents in NYC have increased 50% since 2007....

It's all wishful thinking. I think it's more likely firms will just increase bonuses rather than the base (and they won't be as high as pre-2009 bonuses).

In order to come out the same as 2007 and before though, taking into account increase COL and tuition, you probably need a salary increase to at least 250k for first year associates...190k isn't that much in the grand scheme of things since around half of the increase (so around 15k) will go to taxes.

And to the above posts, I'd take NU for free over both of these options.

Just to clarify, I was completely joking.

rpupkin

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago

Postby rpupkin » Thu May 07, 2015 10:46 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
krads153 wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:
krads153 wrote:lol at Columbia costing 80k for third year....I can't believe people still pay these prices for law school. Biglaw salaries haven't gone up since 2007 and won't be going up any time, so they should go to 190k soon, while tuition has gone up by like 150k and rents in NYC have increased 50% since 2007....

It's all wishful thinking. I think it's more likely firms will just increase bonuses rather than the base (and they won't be as high as pre-2009 bonuses).

In order to come out the same as 2007 and before though, taking into account increase COL and tuition, you probably need a salary increase to at least 250k for first year associates...190k isn't that much in the grand scheme of things since around half of the increase (so around 15k) will go to taxes.

And to the above posts, I'd take NU for free over both of these options.

Just to clarify, I was completely joking think that $195K is even more likely for NYC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”