Michigan ($$) vs. USC (full ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan ($$)
82%
USC (full ride)
18%

Total votes: 34

Nmsx8

Postby Nmsx8 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:44 am

I have received $30k/yr from Michigan and a full-tuition scholarship from USC. I want to work in NYC, though I'm not set on exactly what I want to do yet - most likely something corporate and ideally in-house (eventually). I am not receiving any financial assistance from family, so I will be taking out loans to cover any costs.

I negotiated with both schools and Michigan went from $20k/yr to $30k/yr, while USC went from $45k/yr to full-tuition.

I am not naive to the fact that Michigan will give me more of a seamless transition to NYC, but is it worth $90,000 in tuition-based loans alone?

Additionally, please refrain from suggesting I defer acceptance since I am not 100% sure what type of law I want to go into - that is not an option for me.

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. USC (full ride)

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 04, 2015 6:48 am

Michigan seems like an okay option. No other t14 offers? Cornell for instance...

Nmsx8

Postby Nmsx8 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:54 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:Michigan seems like an okay option. No other t14 offers? Cornell for instance...

I received a healthy scholarship from Cornell, but Michigan and USC are the two schools I have definitely narrowed it down to.

Any reasoning behind the Michigan choice?

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 04, 2015 7:10 am

You want big law in New York. You won't get that from usc. What was your Cornell offer? Cornell places very well into NYC and could be a better choice for you than Michigan.

qwertyTLS

Postby qwertyTLS » Mon May 04, 2015 7:18 am

i think given your goals, 30k/year at michigan is entirely defensible. i would choose whichever costs less between cornell/michigan.

Nmsx8

Postby Nmsx8 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:58 am

qwertyTLS wrote:i think given your goals, 30k/year at michigan is entirely defensible. i would choose whichever costs less between cornell/michigan.

Thanks! I definitely do not want to attend Cornell. Only options are USC and Michigan. Any reasoning behind Michigan?

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Mon May 04, 2015 9:03 am

So, what's your Cornell offer?

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 04, 2015 9:05 am

If you have 50k/yr at Cornell...go to Cornell. (I don't know this to be the case, but I know Cornell gave out a lot of these.) OP, don't pay 60k extra just to surround yourself with the Ann Arbor ambiance.

Nmsx8

Postby Nmsx8 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:12 am

Let's just pretend I didn't apply to Cornell :wink:

Please.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 04, 2015 9:18 am

Nmsx8 wrote:Let's just pretend I didn't apply to Cornell :wink:

Please.

:roll:

qwertyTLS

Postby qwertyTLS » Mon May 04, 2015 9:25 am

Nmsx8 wrote:
qwertyTLS wrote:i think given your goals, 30k/year at michigan is entirely defensible. i would choose whichever costs less between cornell/michigan.

Thanks! I definitely do not want to attend Cornell. Only options are USC and Michigan. Any reasoning behind Michigan?

if you want biglaw -> in-house, that sounds like pretty much the ideal path of least resistance coming from the T14. although michigan's employment numbers are not at the same level as their peers, i think those who want NYC biglaw can get it from michigan.

(once again though, i know you said to pretend cornell isn't an option, but iirc biglaw from cornell is better than michigan, and so i would take the cheaper of the two)

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon May 04, 2015 9:29 am

voted for Ann Arbor, but as a big fan of Ithaca, that's a no brainer for your goals if they come close to 'SC's offer.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Mon May 04, 2015 9:53 am

i don't even think the cornell argument is about michigan. you're leaving money on the table and a few numbers on the employment dice by going michigan over cornell, but that is what it is; you're in the range of acceptable idiosyncratic if not obviously rational behavior there. but you'd be a goddamn fool to go USC over cornell.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon May 04, 2015 9:54 am

This is a first of someone asking for advice but refusing to disclose the offers they have.
If you have Cornell with $50k you would be an absolute moron to chose USC or Michigan.

CTT

Postby CTT » Mon May 04, 2015 9:58 am

New York big law is by far the easiest path to take coming out of Michigan. A lot of people want to go elsewhere, but New York is far easier to get than Detroit, Chicago, Boston, DC, LA, or San Fran, and it's not close. If you want to go to New York, Michigan is a good choice, and not outrageously expensive at that price, especially given that sticker is thousands less than the New York schools.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 04, 2015 10:00 am

Nmsx8 wrote:Let's just pretend I didn't apply to Cornell :wink:

Please.

K

Not applying to Cornell was definitely a big mistake, I would withdraw/reapply next year and have a proper application cycle

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Mon May 04, 2015 10:05 am

lol

Nmsx8

Postby Nmsx8 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:08 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:This is a first of someone asking for advice but refusing to disclose the offers they have.
If you have Cornell with $50k you would be an absolute moron to chose USC or Michigan.

I didn't refuse, I'm just not considering Cornell. As I'm sure you're aware, this is an extremely agonizing decision, and out of the 6 T20 schools (4 T14) that I have gotten into and received scholarships from, these are the 2 that I have painstakingly narrowed it down to based on personal decisions and preference. It as at THIS point that I am asking for words of kind advice regarding these two options. While I respect and appreciate all words of advice, TLS is clear that questions must be specific, and I believe that I have been relatively specific regarding my request for advice.

Oh, and Cornell gave me $40k/yr, not 50. So THANK GOD that doesn't place me in the realm of idiocy.
Last edited by Nmsx8 on Mon May 04, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon May 04, 2015 10:10 am

Cornell

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 04, 2015 10:11 am

Nmsx8 wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:This is a first of someone asking for advice but refusing to disclose the offers they have.

I didn't refuse, I'm just not considering Cornell. As I'm sure you're aware, this is an extremely agonizing decision, and out of the 6 T20 schools (4 T14) that I have gotten into and received scholarships from, these are the 2 that I have painstakingly narrowed it down to based on personal decisions and preference. It as at THIS point that I am asking for words of kind advice regarding these two options. While I respect and appreciate all words of advice, TLS is clear that questions must be specific, and I believe that I have been relatively specific regarding my request for advice.

Oh, and Cornell gave me $40k/yr, not 50. So THANK GOD that doesn't place me in the realm of idiocy.

Out of curiosity: Why did you decide Michigan was worth 30k more than Cornell?

Nmsx8

Postby Nmsx8 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:22 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
Nmsx8 wrote:

Out of curiosity: Why did you decide Michigan was worth 30k more than Cornell?

I know Cornell's employment stats are slightly better, but I visited Cornell and absolutely hated it. Additionally, I have found everything regarding their recruiting process extremely impersonal, something that is unappealing to me. I think I would probably kill myself at Cornell before my 3rd year, so I'd rather make it out of Michigan alive.

Has anyone heard of Michigan granting scholarship increases after the deposit deadline? This is what USC did since they had extra money from those who withdrew applications. I just don't know how much more leverage I have. I was given $18k/year from Duke and $25k/yr from Georgetown.

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Mon May 04, 2015 10:22 am

Nmsx8 wrote:Oh, and Cornell gave me $40k/yr, not 50. So THANK GOD that doesn't place me in the realm of idiocy.

We'll be the judge of that, thank you.

What's the reason for eliminating Cornell? Maybe we can help convince you it's ok

Edit: recruiting process?

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 04, 2015 10:25 am

Tell Michigan finances are a very important part of your decision-making process and that you'll be in a little over $30k more debt if you attend Mich than if you attend Cornell and that you'll be attending Cornell unless they can match cornell's offer. Good luck! If they can't...I'd probably go to cornell. You will never have to work with the admissions office again after you matriculate and after you graduate you'll have 30k reasons to be glad you chose Cornell.

ETA: Also tell Mich exactly why they're your number one choice and why they're better for you if finances are equal.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon May 04, 2015 10:31 am

Given Cornell's higher tuition the difference in cost seems reasonable. My guess is you've ruled out Cornell for the wrong reasons but at like 20k extra it's not the end of the world if you really really prefer to attend a school with a respected football program.

Nmsx8

Postby Nmsx8 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:36 am

Kinky John wrote:
Nmsx8 wrote:Oh, and Cornell gave me $40k/yr, not 50. So THANK GOD that doesn't place me in the realm of idiocy.

We'll be the judge of that, thank you.

What's the reason for eliminating Cornell? Maybe we can help convince you it's ok

Edit: recruiting process?

Some of my emails went unanswered, and the ones that were answered took a relatively long time to get a response. No alumni/admissions officers have reached out, which tells me that I am an easily replaceable candidate according to them. I want to be at a school that wants ME to be there.

Additionally, I'm going to go ahead and say that my ability to get into these schools, receive these scholarships, and negotiate has answered any questions regarding my intelligence. You are not required to respond to my post. If you are not interested in this post or do not agree with it, that is completely fine. I respectfully ask you to swallow your rude comments, or spill them onto some other tortured soul going through this process.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”