School choice and money

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nylawprospect

School choice and money

Postby nylawprospect » Sun May 03, 2015 2:43 pm

I posted in admissions concerning asking about money from Brooklyn. I would like some thoughts on Hofstra v Rutgers C. with full tuition to both. I want to work in ny and also got admitted to Brooklyn a few days ago, but didn't get any scholarships, and I thought about inquiring.

Yukos

Re: School choice and money

Postby Yukos » Sun May 03, 2015 2:54 pm

nylawprospect wrote:I posted in admissions concerning asking about money from Brooklyn. I would like some thoughts on Hofstra v Rutgers C. with full tuition to both. I want to work in ny and also got admitted to Brooklyn a few days ago, but didn't get any scholarships, and I thought about inquiring.

I would not attend either of these, even with full tuition schollies.

Hofstra only gives you a 57% chance of getting a full-time job as a lawyer, meaning you would have over a 40% chance of spending three years of your life studying without anything to show for it. While tuition is free, according to Law School Transparency you would still be paying $75,000 in living expenses over the three years, plus interest.

Rutgers-C is barely better as far as employment, and does not feed into NY. The vast majority of Camden grads who find any job go to NJ or PA.

If you really want to work in NY, I would retake until you get a huge scholarship at Fordham AT LEAST. The schools you're considering simply do not give you a good chance at getting a job, and they still would cost you three years of lost wages plus nearly $100,000 in loans.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Sun May 03, 2015 3:00 pm

To get advice in this forum include:
The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun May 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Don't go

Superstaranonymous

Postby Superstaranonymous » Sun May 03, 2015 3:14 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”