University of Colorado vs. George Washington vs. Georgetown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kelly_jo5

University of Colorado vs. George Washington vs. Georgetown

Postby kelly_jo5 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Hello there. I am hoping to get some advice on selecting a school.

I am a veteran and will be using the GI bill and Yellow Ribbon Program to fund my education. Here are the current options:

1. University of Colorado -
Because this is a public institution the GI bill will fund all three years completely as well as provide a living stipend. The pull for this school is because my long term (2+ years) boyfriend currently has some family issues that are requiring him to head back to this area for the next few years. He would be working full time and we would be able to split bills, etc so in this situation I do not envision needing to acquire any debt. Also the greatly added benefit of not having to do a long distance relationship.

2. George Washington University -
Although a private institution, they have offered me a 2/3rds scholarship and the remaining portion would be covered using the GI bill. The pull for this school is the higher ranking (does this really even matter??) and the location. Years ago when I decided on law school, I always envisioned studying in DC. Due to cost of living and not sharing expenses with my boyfriend I would incur a small amount of debt (30K-45K by graduation).

3. Georgetown University -
I have been waitlisted for Georgetown so this may not even be an option, however, I am supposed to have an answer by 11MAY. Even with the GI bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program, I would require loans to pay tuition. I envision accruing 100K by the end of the three years if I attend here.

What makes sense professionally? Does a 20 slot difference in ranking really matter between GWU and CU? I really do not want to set up a situation where I resent my boyfriend by choosing a school in Colorado vs. DC. I have visited both areas and love them both for different reasons. I believe that as long as in the long term CU would set me up for similar success that I would be ok with this decision. I believe that I would like to work for a big law firm or a firm that offers mobility (both geographically and professionally) after graduation. We've also talked about the potential of me doing my 1L year in Colorado and then transferring. We both have always had very transient lifestyles, spending 3-5 years in a location and then moving on. This is something that I would like to continue to do in the future if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering: CU, GW, Georgetown
-The total Cost of Attendance: Debt at graduation: CU-0, GW-45K, Georgetown-100K
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings: GI Bill, Yellow Ribbon Program, Family
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any): No significant ties, would like to remain as mobile as possible
-Your general career goals: Mid to big law firm; at this time I believe some sort of corporate business law
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers: 165/3.49
-How many times you have taken the LSAT: twice

Thank you!
Last edited by kelly_jo5 on Sat May 02, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transferror

Re: University of Colorado vs. George Washington vs. Georgetown

Postby transferror » Sat May 02, 2015 2:51 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

UpandDown97

Postby UpandDown97 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:39 pm

kelly_jo5 wrote:Hello there. I am hoping to get some advice on selecting a school.

I am a veteran and will be using the GI bill and Yellow Ribbon Program to fund my education. Here are the current options:

1. University of Colorado -
Because this is a public institution the GI bill will fund all three years completely as well as provide a living stipend. The pull for this school is because my long term (2+ years) boyfriend currently has some family issues that are requiring him to head back to this area for the next few years. He would be working full time and we would be able to split bills, etc so in this situation I do not envision needing to acquire any debt. Also the greatly added benefit of not having to do a long distance relationship.

2. George Washington University -
Although a private institution, they have offered me a 2/3rds scholarship and the remaining portion would be covered using the GI bill. The pull for this school is the higher ranking (does this really even matter??) and the location. Years ago when I decided on law school, I always envisioned studying in DC. Due to cost of living and not sharing expenses with my boyfriend I would incur a small amount of debt (30K-45K by graduation).

3. Georgetown University -
I have been waitlisted for Georgetown so this may not even be an option, however, I am supposed to have an answer by 11MAY. Even with the GI bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program, I would require loans to pay tuition. I envision accruing 100K by the end of the three years if I attend here.

What makes sense professionally? Does a 20 slot difference in ranking really matter between GWU and CU? I really do not want to set up a situation where I resent my boyfriend by choosing a school in Colorado vs. DC. I have visited both areas and love them both for different reasons. I believe that as long as in the long term CU would set me up for similar success that I would be ok with this decision. I believe that I would like to work for a big law firm or a firm that offers mobility (both geographically and professionally) after graduation. We've also talked about the potential of me doing my 1L year in Colorado and then transferring. We both have always had very transient lifestyles, spending 3-5 years in a location and then moving on. This is something that I would like to continue to do in the future if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

-The schools you are considering: CU, GW, Georgetown
-The total Cost of Attendance: Debt at graduation: CU-0, GW-45K, Georgetown-100K
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings: GI Bill, Yellow Ribbon Program, Family
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any): No significant ties, would like to remain as mobile as possible
-Your general career goals: Mid to big law firm; at this time I believe some sort of corporate business law
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers: 165/3.49
-How many times you have taken the LSAT: twice

Thank you!

Some of the answer depends on how serious things are with your boyfriend. If serious, then CU might make sense. If not serious, Georgetown might make more sense. 100k for Georgetown is pretty reasonable.

kelly_jo5

Postby kelly_jo5 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:45 pm

Thank you for your feedback. Do you think George Washington should be consideration if I don't end up getting accepted to Georgetown? How would the opportunities of graduating from GW differ from those of graduating from CU?

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Sat May 02, 2015 3:49 pm

I can't speak to GW much but I know if you want to work in CO, CU Boulder is just about the only option. It's also a pretty nice place to live.

transferror

Postby transferror » Sat May 02, 2015 3:55 pm

Colorado is out if you want big/midlaw since <10% of the class will end up there.

GW for 45k is reasonable, and about 35% end up in mid/biglaw, but I'm also under the impression that a large portion of that number is for IP. I think you can do better.

GULC for 100k is ok, but you're not in yet.

I think it makes the most sense to sit out this cycle, go to Colorado with your SO, find a job, retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle. You're only a few LSAT points away from admission in the T14, and Yellow Ribbon + GI will make some of them very affordable even at sticker.

I think UVA is almost completely covered under yellow ribbon if you have full eligibility, and if so, I think you could get your LSAT up a few points and try to ED to UVA

kelly_jo5

Postby kelly_jo5 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:03 pm

So transferring after 1L would also not be a good option?

sdancer89

Postby sdancer89 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:05 pm

Current CU 1L transferring out for mobility reasons-- wouldn't recommend CU if you are looking for mobility outside of Colorado and the Rocky Mtn. region. CU does well with moderate outcomes (think smaller firms, PD/DA, legal aid) in CO. However, big law and mobility are limited from here. It's beautiful here, but wouldn't recommend it if you don't see yourself in CO on a more long-term basis.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 02, 2015 4:08 pm

sdancer89 wrote:Current CU 1L transferring out for mobility reasons-- wouldn't recommend CU if you are looking for mobility outside of Colorado and the Rocky Mtn. region. CU does well with moderate outcomes (think smaller firms, PD/DA, legal aid) in CO. However, big law and mobility are limited from here. It's beautiful here, but wouldn't recommend it if you don't see yourself in CO on a more long-term basis.

I agree with this.

Of course, I'm not sure GW is significantly better on those grounds, either. More options in DC just because there are so many more options in DC, period. But not sure about mobility.

transferror

Postby transferror » Sat May 02, 2015 4:10 pm

kelly_jo5 wrote:So transferring after 1L would also not be a good option?

No. You have no way to know how you will perform as a 1L on a forced curve, and only the top 5-10% of the class will be able to transfer into a top school. Additionally, virtually no transfer students receive aid/scholarship at the new school. So you would lose whatever scholarship you have, and I'm not sure what would happen with yellow ribbon/GI in that situation.

Basically, by retaking the LSAT and even gaining 3-4 points (getting a few more multiple choice questions correct) you could just be admitted to those schools from day one, which is far easier (and much more likely) than being top 5% of your class at Colorado.

***maybe very clever troll

kelly_jo5

Postby kelly_jo5 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:13 pm

Ok - thank you all very much for the feedback. I'm a first generation college grad in my family and sometimes feel completely lost when it comes to things like this.

So again, very much appreciated!

transferror

Postby transferror » Sat May 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Well congrats on being first generation college grad.

There's a lot of good info on this site about how to prep and be successful on a retake and tons of success stories. Read here for encouragement: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208084

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun May 03, 2015 4:46 pm

Looks like 15% of CU class of 2014 got big law or federal clerkships, compared to 30% from GW. If this is your goal, keep this in mind. The total COA between the two schools isn't that big of a deal in the long run.

Also keep in mind that the student body at CU is way different than the student body at GW in terms of backgrounds and career goals.

Butter

Postby Butter » Tue May 05, 2015 4:20 pm

transferror wrote:Colorado is out if you want big/midlaw since <10% of the class will end up there.

GW for 45k is reasonable, and about 35% end up in mid/biglaw, but I'm also under the impression that a large portion of that number is for IP. I think you can do better.

GULC for 100k is ok, but you're not in yet.

I think it makes the most sense to sit out this cycle, go to Colorado with your SO, find a job, retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle. You're only a few LSAT points away from admission in the T14, and Yellow Ribbon + GI will make some of them very affordable even at sticker.

I think UVA is almost completely covered under yellow ribbon if you have full eligibility, and if so, I think you could get your LSAT up a few points and try to ED to UVA

If you are able to sit out a year, I would listen to transferror. Given that tuition would be almost completely covered, UVA would be an excellent option. The JAG school is right next door too.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”