Deciding on TX law schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WokeUpInACar

Re: Deciding on TX law schools

Postby WokeUpInACar » Sat May 02, 2015 9:56 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:*Legacy Rabbit spews anecdata all over the place*

*Legacy Rabbit is confronted with anecdata that conflicts with his own*

*YOU MADE THAT UP*

what the fuck are you whining and crying about?

So I am wrong that someone with a full ride to a school in the region where he is from should just ignore it.

Please share where I am wrong.

Why are your anecdotes valid but not other people's? The statistical outcomes are all that matters. The feelings of any individual attorney do not mean a fucking thing.

When he has a 3.8 GPA and no specific family firm or rural law aspirations, yes, he should completely ignore the possibility of attending Baylor, even for "free."

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:59 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
BearLaw wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:
BearLaw wrote:

1. I am from Dallas, and I know numerous attorneys and law students there (at aTm/Wes., SMU, even several at Baylor)

2. See answer above.

3. I know many attorneys at large firms that will not interview Baylor grads. I know a Baylor grad, that while a fantastic attorney, has struggled to advance his entire career because of his alma mater.

The bolded is drivel. As before, you dont know me, what I do or where I work.

And finally, he isnt going for free. COA is still a factor, and considering the likelihood of well paying job from Baylor, not a small one considering it is approaching 50K. Baylor is hardly more in the DFW "region" than any other mediocre law school. It is not worth 3 years of your life if you want big law at all, and considering the befits of UT over Baylor, there is no reason for the OP to not retake, and go to UT for near free in a year, regardless of how the June LSAT plays out.

3. I know many attorneys at large firms that will not interview Baylor grads. I know a Baylor grad, that while a fantastic attorney, has struggled to advance his entire career because of his alma mater.

This is drivel and you made this up. You seriously just pulled this shit out of your ass to argue for arguments sake.

You are doing people a serious disservice. OP got a full tuition ride to the school in his region. OP should not consider this, or anyone else in this situation?

I don't know whether a new Baylor grad would forever be hurt by going to Baylor, but the part about many large firms in Dallas not interviewing new Baylor grads is accurate (it isn't that hard to find the half dozen or so Dallas big firms that have no recent Baylor law grads in their offices).

You are also overselling ties and connections in this thread. While well-connected students can and do outperform their grades/school, that probably amounts to no more than a handful of students in each graduating class.

As for OP, I think Baylor actually makes sense at that ptice if a student knows he wants to do crim law (especially prosecution), wants to go solo right out of law school as a general practioner doing litigation, or wants to work in the bigger population centers in the rural parts of the state (Amarillo/Tyler/Midland etc....).

transferror

Postby transferror » Sat May 02, 2015 11:22 pm

A@M_or_bust wrote:We are now both retaking in June with confidence that we can increase and attend UT this year or next.

Fantastic decision , OP. Best of luck to you and your SO.

As for the rest of the Baylor drivel, I know several Baylor students/alum and this is largely accurate:

nouseforaname123 wrote:I don't know whether a new Baylor grad would forever be hurt by going to Baylor, but the part about many large firms in Dallas not interviewing new Baylor grads is accurate (it isn't that hard to find the half dozen or so Dallas big firms that have no recent Baylor law grads in their offices).

You are also overselling ties and connections in this thread. While well-connected students can and do outperform their grades/school, that probably amounts to no more than a handful of students in each graduating class.

As for OP, I think Baylor actually makes sense at that ptice if a student knows he wants to do crim law (especially prosecution), wants to go solo right out of law school as a general practioner doing litigation, or wants to work in the bigger population centers in the rural parts of the state (Amarillo/Tyler/Midland etc....).

Based on what I've heard from my Baylor peeps, small shops and DA/PD offices hire Baylor grads in droves because their ridiculous curriculum and bootcamp-esque training has them more trial-ready than most grads. However, those same folks echoed that OCI is a joke and that big firms generally just aren't in the cards. I think most Baylor students would self-select out of the big firm life anyway because so many are trial oriented, but it seems like many firms know this already and don't even give them the chance.

**edited for clarity

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Sat May 02, 2015 11:28 pm

UT or bust. Honestly, take a retake and see if you can push a 170....with your military background I think you could get into some even better schools, even though I think UT is great (disclaimer: current student).
Your gpa and military background are unique characteristics that should not be wasted. Baylor has around 10% BL/FC placement. Thats pretty paltry. I understand some students justify schools such as these because of ability to obtain other jobs they think they might want. Never choose a law school because you think you might be content with being a PD/DA small firm attorney. 99% of incoming law students have no idea what the practice of law is like and therefore lack the knowledge to determine what they want. So go to the schools with the ability to give you options. Options are what its all about.

p1921

Postby p1921 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:50 pm

Do not go to Baylor under any circumstances. I've spoken with attorneys 2-3 years out of Baylor who are doing litigation at small firms (the only outcome you could expect from Baylor) and are doing reasonably well, and even they told me not to go. Even after I told them I had a full ride, they told me not to go. When the successful graduates tell you not to go, even when it's free, it's not somewhere you want to be.

SMU would be a decent option, especially if you can get it a little cheaper. Obviously, UT would be ideal and you're correct on that, but for a bit cheaper I wouldn't take SMU out of consideration.

Good luck on the retake, I hope it works out for you. Thank you for your service as well, it's much appreciated.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Mon May 11, 2015 1:42 am

Just because a school that happens to be in your back yard gives you a full ride is not a good reason to go to that school.

Here's an LST comparison for four of the schools in question:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/ ... r/houston/

Even more tellingly, here are breakdowns of the salary data and employment data for Baylor and for UT:

Baylor:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... more/2013/

Notable in particular is that of the 107 people who entered the private sector out of the 152 employed persons (a class of 176 -- a 14% unemployment rate), 52 are at tiny firms (2-10 people); a total of 13 people made it into firms of 100 or more people. Note too the median private sector income of $65,000.

UT:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... more/2013/

I mean... Just look at it in comparison. There IS no comparison. 203 private sector takers; the 25th percentile is $125k (the 50th is, of course, $160k); well over 100 people made it into firms with more than 100 attorneys.

OP, you already said you and your parter were retaking: good call. There's just no reason not to. Study hard, get a partial scholarship, and enjoy a free ride at a school that's actually likely to get you a job you don't regret.

P.S. From Texas as well; lived in DFW for years. I knew plenty of successful Baylor attorneys -- who were all over 60 and entered practice 35 years ago. The market has changed; why would Texas firms hire from Baylor when there is NO SHORTAGE of interested 2Ls from UT and the T-14? The only thing a Baylor law degree is good for nowadays is queuing people to the fact that you spent more for your piece of paper than they did for theirs.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”