Deciding on TX law schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
A@M_or_bust

Bronze

Deciding on TX law schools

Post by A@M_or_bust » Sat May 02, 2015 1:55 am

Hello TLS community,
Last edited by A@M_or_bust on Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandwhich

Bronze

Re: Deciding on TX law schools

Post by sandwhich » Sat May 02, 2015 2:21 am

I don't care if baylor was paying you to go I still wouldn't suggest it.

Now that that's off the table, is that 30k per year for SMU? Are you ok with living/practicing in Dallas for the foreseeable future? With a 5 point bump on your lsat you could get UT.

BTW you can get big law from any of those schools, the cutoff is just higher than UT's (top 10-15%)

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Sat May 02, 2015 8:39 am

Bluntly, UT or bust. I would wait a year, study for the Oct. LSAT like its all that matters and get into UT for near free next year with your military benefits.

Baylor is not defensible in almost any situation. 50k+ is way too much for COA, and the shot at biglaw is miniscule. The quality of life is poor, and the curriculum is far too lit focused (I realize you want to litigate, but that can and often does change).

SMU is not worth over 100k, it just isnt. Its a fine school, and places decently well in Texas, but that much debt isnt worth the risk of not getting a job that can service it.

Wondering why UH is out? I realize its in Houston, not DFW, but for the right price it could be a defensible choice. Though I realize going that route makes returning to DFW more difficult.

Unless you can get SMU for significantly less than it currently costs, UT or bust.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:56 am

Not to derail (as it seems the OP has more or less the right idea about doing UT or bust) but it's strange given how large and insular Texas is, it only has 1 viable law school. Cali by comparison has 4.

cal2013

Bronze

Post by cal2013 » Sat May 02, 2015 10:00 am

Everyone likes to hate on Baylor (as evidenced by the responses above me), but every alum I've talked to has been happy with their decision. You say you want to litigate -- Baylor for free is a great option for this.

If you had said your goals were biglaw, then sure, absolutely don't go to Baylor.

But the place has the highest bar pass rate in TX and pretty decent employment outcomes for those with modest goals.

Add in the fact that you copped a full ride, and I don't know why people are not saying that this is TCR.

Is it simply because of the hyper competitive environment? Because in speaking with several recent alums, those claims, while true, may be grossly exaggerated. I mean come on, "don't go even if they pay you to go"? That's just juvenile groupthink.

All of that being said, if you want a shot at biglaw, then retake and go to UT. It's the only viable choice in the state for non-modest goals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat May 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Retake

Don't go to Baylor

Stick with planning on UT

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat May 02, 2015 4:31 pm

cal2013 wrote:but every alum I've talked to has been happy with their decision.
This has not been my experience. I have heard from multiple alums and students who weren't happy with their decision. There's some possible survivor bias at work there (not to mention stockholm syndrome)
cal2013 wrote:But the place has the highest bar pass rate in TX
This literally doesn't matter.
cal2013 wrote:I don't know why people are not saying that this is TCR.
It's a horrorshow with mediocre job prospects. And is often expensive. And Waco.
cal2013 wrote:Is it simply because of the hyper competitive environment? Because in speaking with several recent alums, those claims, while true, may be grossly exaggerated. I mean come on, "don't go even if they pay you to go"? That's just juvenile groupthink.
The school itself is the worst part from what I gather. Not being allowed to get up from your seat and go to the bathroom? Having to write briefs if you fumble a cold call? Practice court that impedes your potential to get an internship and maybe a real job? I don't think it can be overstated how bad of an idea Baylor usually is.

There might be some very narrow circumstances where I would consider Baylor but I almost always would steer very clear of the place. I think that's what the OP should do.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Sat May 02, 2015 4:51 pm

BearLaw wrote: Bluntly, UT or bust. I would wait a year, study for the Oct. LSAT like its all that matters and get into UT for near free next year with your military benefits.

Baylor is not defensible in almost any situation. 50k+ is way too much for COA, and the shot at biglaw is miniscule. The quality of life is poor, and the curriculum is far too lit focused (I realize you want to litigate, but that can and often does change).

SMU is not worth over 100k, it just isnt. Its a fine school, and places decently well in Texas, but that much debt isnt worth the risk of not getting a job that can service it.

Wondering why UH is out? I realize its in Houston, not DFW, but for the right price it could be a defensible choice. Though I realize going that route makes returning to DFW more difficult.

Unless you can get SMU for significantly less than it currently costs, UT or bust.

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Sat May 02, 2015 4:56 pm

A@M_or_bust wrote:Also, if I score higher on my June LSAT, but not enough to get in at UT this Fall, I plan on sitting out a year and reapplying early next cycle.
Reapplying (if you don't get in off the waitlist) is the right call here, especially with the military benefits helping pay for UT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Sat May 02, 2015 5:04 pm

I was admitted off of the UT waitlist later than this (and still received some money). Maybe wait until after your LSAT but definitely try reaching out to the school and also finding a UT alum/prof to write you another recommendation.

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:11 pm

To echo the poster above, I got off the UT wait list in late July, so there's still a chance. The state mandates that 65% of the class is from in state (or some number close to that) and sometimes UT has to add more people as a few drop to go elsewhere.

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Sat May 02, 2015 7:48 pm

A@M_or_bust wrote:Hello TLS community,

I am looking for respectful opinions with concern to my current situation.

GPA: 3.81 LSAT: 161
I have taken the LSAT twice. I am retaking in June for my last chance to reach my potential, as I consistently score upper 160s on proctored prep tests.

I am from the DFW area with ties to the area.

I wish to work in the legal field for litigation (civil and criminal) and being a general practice lawyer. I am sure some of you will find these interests lame, but please refrain from being critical of my interests. I am also open to the idea of working Big Law if I attended the appropriate school (UT).

I applied to UT, SMU, Baylor, and U of H.

I was waitlisted at UT. This is the school I wish to attend given its pull in Texas and Biglaw prospects. Also, I have military benefits that would pay for nearly 2/3 of my tuition costs. My plan is to score a bit higher on the LSAT and sneak in. However, if things don't go according to planned, and I don't improve my LSAT score, my options are as followed.

Baylor: Full Tuition Scholarship
COA = 52,000
SMU: 30,000 Scholarship
COA = 103,000
U of H is off the table

Which of these is more justifiable?

Also, if I score higher on my June LSAT, but not enough to get in at UT this Fall, I plan on sitting out a year and reapplying early next cycle.
Most if not all of the people on this board are not from D-FW and no nothing of this area.

All of the attorneys and J.Ds I know grew up in Dallas. A mix of people who attended Texas Wes (prior to the A&M buy), Houston, UT, SMU, and Tech. I know one girl who went to Baylor and I attended undergrad with her.

At lunch the guys were discussing Baylor and Houston and they had nothing but good things to say about the interns from these schools. Learning actual "lawyering" skills, the group unanimously said Baylor.
Baylor is for kids who grew up in Texas and want to work in Dallas. Plus, I know a vet who is receiving an exemption (I think the same one you are getting) and he is choosing between Baylor, UT, and SMU.

If you plan on staying in Dallas, you really should consider Baylor. Do not worry so much about finding "work". You know how strong ties are here. The deeper the Dallas/Texas tie, the more likely you will be interviewed over someone else who was not raised here.

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Sat May 02, 2015 8:17 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:

I have taken the LSAT twice. I am retaking in June for my last chance to reach my potential, as I consistently score upper 160s on proctored prep tests.

I wish to work in the legal field for litigation (civil and criminal) and being a general practice lawyer. I am sure some of you will find these interests lame, but please refrain from being critical of my interests. I am also open to the idea of working Big Law if I attended the appropriate school (UT).

I was waitlisted at UT. This is the school I wish to attend given its pull in Texas and Biglaw prospects. Also, I have military benefits that would pay for nearly 2/3 of my tuition costs. My plan is to score a bit higher on the LSAT and sneak in. However, if things don't go according to planned, and I don't improve my LSAT score, my options are as followed.

COA = 52,000
COA = 103,000
U of H is off the table

Also, if I score higher on my June LSAT, but not enough to get in at UT this Fall, I plan on sitting out a year and reapplying early next cycle.
Most if not all of the people on this board are not from D-FW and no nothing of this area.

All of the attorneys and J.Ds I know grew up in Dallas. A mix of people who attended Texas Wes (prior to the A&M buy), Houston, UT, SMU, and Tech. I know one girl who went to Baylor and I attended undergrad with her.

At lunch the guys were discussing Baylor and Houston and they had nothing but good things to say about the interns from these schools. Learning actual "lawyering" skills, the group unanimously said Baylor.
Baylor is for kids who grew up in Texas and want to work in Dallas. Plus, I know a vet who is receiving an exemption (I think the same one you are getting) and he is choosing between Baylor, UT, and SMU.

If you plan on staying in Dallas, you really should consider Baylor. Do not worry so much about finding "work". You know how strong ties are here. The deeper the Dallas/Texas tie, the more likely you will be interviewed over someone else who was not raised here.
OP, this is objectively bad advice. Don't go to Baylor. Baylor is a fine school if you (a) can go for free ( I dont mean full tuition, I mean 0 COA); (b) have a job waiting for you upon graduation, OR have no problem being a small town, east/central Texas lawyer or small lawyer in the DFW area ( I know literally 1 Baylor grad in Houston, and he is in his mid 60's); and (c) have no real desire to work biglaw or transactional work.

I wen to Baylor undergrad, loved it, liked Waco, and I didnt even apply to Baylor, despite having numbers that would have gotten me a large scholarship/full ride.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Sat May 02, 2015 8:26 pm

BearLaw wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:

COA = 52,000
COA = 103,000
U of H is off the table

OP, this is objectively bad advice. Don't go to Baylor. Baylor is a fine school if you (a) can go for free ( I dont mean full tuition, I mean 0 COA); (b) have a job waiting for you upon graduation, OR have no problem being a small town, east/central Texas lawyer or small lawyer in the DFW area ( I know literally 1 Baylor grad in Houston, and he is in his mid 60's); and (c) have no real desire to work biglaw or transactional work.

I wen to Baylor undergrad, loved it, liked Waco, and I didnt even apply to Baylor, despite having numbers that would have gotten me a large scholarship/full ride.
1. You are not from Dallas.
2. Do you actually know people who are from Dallas, who attended Baylor for law school?
3. Do you work with attorneys and J.Ds who are in turn working with Baylor law students and graduates?

Simply, because you and your friends do not know how to interview and find work, does not assume that the OP cannot.

You are giving objectively giving HORRIBLE ADVICE by telling someone to not consider a FREE ride to a school in the region that he grew up in.

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Sat May 02, 2015 8:29 pm

You might want to develop an idea of what you want to do with your career.

Being a civil litigator alone is markedly different than being a civil litigator w/r/t the type of work and experience you'll get, court appearances, billable hours, clients you'll interact with, etc. Though I won't go as far as saying they attract completely different personalities, people can be completely dissatisfied working in one type of environment versus the other.

Franky, I don't know how people would even want to do civil litigation in a big law environment, seeing as you get comparatively less substantive experience and courtroom exposure, likely have higher billable pressure, are more prone to getting pushed out of the firm, and have an even more negligible chance of partnership than corp bros if it's for nothing else than the money.

I mean, going to Baylor gives you no realistic chance at getting big law, and you'll still have some form of meaniful debt (50K ain't free). SMU, even with a retake is stingy, but does decent at Dallas big-law firms... 100K COA is way to much for SMU though; even for UT tbh. Why is Houston off the table? You basically, either need to get UT with money, or SMU/UH around the same price as you have for Baylor now.

But seriously, figure out what environment you want to work in. Finding a practice group as a 0L, or even a 1L isn't necessarily easy, but you should be able to figure out what work environment you'll be comfortable with before or by the time you get in.

cal2013

Bronze

Post by cal2013 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Not being allowed to get up from your seat and go to the bathroom?
What? This is the first I have heard of this.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:47 pm

hookem7 wrote:To echo the poster above, I got off the UT wait list in late July, so there's still a chance. The state mandates that 65% of the class is from in state (or some number close to that) and sometimes UT has to add more people as a few drop to go elsewhere.
I was going to knee-jerk reflexively argue for Oct. retake or bust but remembered OP is military so WL at "sticker" wouldn't be at sticker. Yeah, sneaking in off the wait list from UT sounds credited. OTOH, OP's reverse splitter stats at being a shade under 75th GPA and solidly below 25th LSAT doesn't do him any favors with respect to being a "corrective" WL admit. Either way, a June retake is probably the way to go.

Mostly made that post to rebut:
Legacy Rabbit wrote: Most if not all of the people on this board are not from D-FW and no nothing of this area.

Well anecdotally all the people I know working in Texas are not from Texas and went to UVa/Duke. To be fair they're working oil/gas and not chasing ambulances. Snark aside, looking at the numbers, Baylor is a place where kids go so they can get a JD and go work with/for a small firm that their family/family friend runs repping DUIs/DiPs, family law, bankruptcies, and taking on the occasional small business.

While the world DOES NEED those lawyers, the OP has a shot at other jobs the world needs and get paid more doing it. No disrespect to Baylor grads but OP shouldn't settle. A 15% unemployment score, while low, is still 1 in 7.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Sat May 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
BearLaw wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:

COA = 52,000
COA = 103,000
U of H is off the table

2. Do you actually know people who are from Dallas, who attended Baylor for law school?
3. Do you work with attorneys and J.Ds who are in turn working with Baylor law students and graduates?

Simply, because you and your friends do not know how to interview and find work, does not assume that the OP cannot.

You are giving objectively giving HORRIBLE ADVICE by telling someone to not consider a FREE ride to a school in the region that he grew up in.
You make a lot of assumptions without any basis for them.

1. I am from Dallas, and I know numerous attorneys and law students there (at aTm/Wes., SMU, even several at Baylor)

2. See answer above.

3. I know many attorneys at large firms that will not interview Baylor grads. I know a Baylor grad, that while a fantastic attorney, has struggled to advance his entire career because of his alma mater.

The bolded is drivel. As before, you dont know me, what I do or where I work.

And finally, he isnt going for free. COA is still a factor, and considering the likelihood of well paying job from Baylor, not a small one considering it is approaching 50K. Baylor is hardly more in the DFW "region" than any other mediocre law school. It is not worth 3 years of your life if you want big law at all, and considering the befits of UT over Baylor, there is no reason for the OP to not retake, and go to UT for near free in a year, regardless of how the June LSAT plays out.

A@M_or_bust

Bronze

Post by A@M_or_bust » Sat May 02, 2015 9:03 pm

DJ JD wrote:You might want to develop an idea of what you want to do with your career.

Being a civil litigator alone is markedly different than being a civil litigator w/r/t the type of work and experience you'll get, court appearances, billable hours, clients you'll interact with, etc. Though I won't go as far as saying they attract completely different personalities, people can be completely dissatisfied working in one type of environment versus the other.

Franky, I don't know how people would even want to do civil litigation in a big law environment, seeing as you get comparatively less substantive experience and courtroom exposure, likely have higher billable pressure, are more prone to getting pushed out of the firm, and have an even more negligible chance of partnership than corp bros if it's for nothing else than the money.

I mean, going to Baylor gives you no realistic chance at getting big law, and you'll still have some form of meaniful debt (50K ain't free). SMU, even with a retake is stingy, but does decent at Dallas big-law firms... 100K COA is way to much for SMU though; even for UT tbh. Why is Houston off the table? You basically, either need to get UT with money, or SMU/UH around the same price as you have for Baylor now.

But seriously, figure out what environment you want to work in. Finding a practice group as a 0L, or even a 1L isn't necessarily easy, but you should be able to figure out what work environment you'll be comfortable with before or by the time you get in.
Thank you your advice.

As For U of H being off the table. I would like to attend as a backup plan, as they offer more biglaw potential than Baylor. However, because my wife-to-be and I are both attending law school in the fall, and ideally would like to attend together, U of H is not an option. We both have identical applications with our numbers and both received full tuition at baylor, and while I would have U of H for free with my 12,500 scholarship and my military benefits, she was only awarded 10,000 per year.

We are now both retaking in June with confidence that we can increase and attend UT this year or next.

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Sat May 02, 2015 9:10 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
hookem7 wrote:To echo the poster above, I got off the UT wait list in late July, so there's still a chance. The state mandates that 65% of the class is from in state (or some number close to that) and sometimes UT has to add more people as a few drop to go elsewhere.
I was going to knee-jerk reflexively argue for Oct. retake or bust but remembered OP is military so WL at "sticker" wouldn't be at sticker. Yeah, sneaking in off the wait list from UT sounds credited. OTOH, OP's reverse splitter stats at being a shade under 75th GPA and solidly below 25th LSAT doesn't do him any favors with respect to being a "corrective" WL admit. Either way, a June retake is probably the way to go.

Mostly made that post to rebut:
Legacy Rabbit wrote: Most if not all of the people on this board are not from D-FW and no nothing of this area.

Well anecdotally all the people I know working in Texas are not from Texas and went to UVa/Duke. To be fair they're working oil/gas and not chasing ambulances. Snark aside, looking at the numbers, Baylor is a place where kids go so they can get a JD and go work with/for a small firm that their family/family friend runs repping DUIs/DiPs, family law, bankruptcies, and taking on the occasional small business.

While the world DOES NEED those lawyers, the OP has a shot at other jobs the world needs and get paid more doing it. No disrespect to Baylor grads but OP shouldn't settle. A 15% unemployment score, while low, is still 1 in 7.
I know three people who went to UVA and are with Akin Gump in Dallas. However, two out of three were raised here. The other guy, the wife is from here.

I agree with you, however, a vet from Dallas, who was given a full tuition ride to Baylor, should really consider Baylor. If I were the OP, I would still work on UT and take the June LSAT, but pay the deposit by deadline for Baylor. In July, attempt to negotiate more money from UT once June scores come in.

There is no arguing Baylor employment scores. However, OP has been given the change to attend school for free tuition in his home region. I just do not think this is wise to ignore.

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Sat May 02, 2015 9:18 pm

BearLaw wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:
BearLaw wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:

You make a lot of assumptions without any basis for them.

1. I am from Dallas, and I know numerous attorneys and law students there (at aTm/Wes., SMU, even several at Baylor)

2. See answer above.

3. I know many attorneys at large firms that will not interview Baylor grads. I know a Baylor grad, that while a fantastic attorney, has struggled to advance his entire career because of his alma mater.

The bolded is drivel. As before, you dont know me, what I do or where I work.

And finally, he isnt going for free. COA is still a factor, and considering the likelihood of well paying job from Baylor, not a small one considering it is approaching 50K. Baylor is hardly more in the DFW "region" than any other mediocre law school. It is not worth 3 years of your life if you want big law at all, and considering the befits of UT over Baylor, there is no reason for the OP to not retake, and go to UT for near free in a year, regardless of how the June LSAT plays out.

This is drivel and you made this up. You seriously just pulled this shit out of your ass to argue for arguments sake.

You are doing people a serious disservice. OP got a full tuition ride to the school in his region. OP should not consider this, or anyone else in this situation?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat May 02, 2015 9:24 pm

D
O

N
O
T

G
O

T
O

B
A
Y
L
O
R

O
P

I
T

I
S

A

H
O
R
R
O
R
S
H
O
W

I don't care what the shills say. Do. Not. Do. It.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Sat May 02, 2015 9:24 pm

*Legacy Rabbit spews anecdata all over the place*

*Legacy Rabbit is confronted with anecdata that conflicts with his own*

*YOU MADE THAT UP*

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Sat May 02, 2015 9:51 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:*Legacy Rabbit spews anecdata all over the place*

*Legacy Rabbit is confronted with anecdata that conflicts with his own*

*YOU MADE THAT UP*
what the fuck are you whining and crying about?

So I am wrong that someone with a full ride to a school in the region where he is from should just ignore it.

Please share where I am wrong.

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Sat May 02, 2015 9:55 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:

This is drivel and you made this up. You seriously just pulled this shit out of your ass to argue for arguments sake.

You are doing people a serious disservice. OP got a full tuition ride to the school in his region. OP should not consider this, or anyone else in this situation?

Please try this argument in court or in a negotiation someday. I also love how you know so much about me that you can read my mind and know my relationships from hundreds of miles away.

My anecdotes dont trump yours, as they are merely anecdotes. However, the fact remains that Baylor is a poor choice for all but the smallest subcategory of aspiring J.D.s. Th OP is not likely in that boat, especially considering the military benefits means UT will be cheap no matter what.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”