UW (Gregoire Fellow) or GW (60k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which is the better choice for me?

UW School of Law
71%
GW Law School
29%

Total votes: 35

CanadianWolf

Re: UW (Gregoire Fellow) or GW (60k)

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat May 16, 2015 8:50 am

Quality of product is important to law schools to protect the area from encroachment by other law schools. Plus, there is highly likely to be mutual interest in the geographic area or the student would not have applied to a regional law school.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Sat May 16, 2015 9:08 am

BigZuck wrote:Maybe I'm underestimating the power of this Gregoire Fellow fellow. But a 1L SA in and of itself doesn't guarantee a 2L SA or big law after graduation. Maybe this program is truly special and the 0Ls who take it are fated big law. Color me skeptical though.

http://www.washington.edu/news/2015/04/ ... rofession/

Looks like a brand new program, and a diversity one at that. If the diversity aspect makes this effectively a pipeline program for diversity and OP is only one of ten diverse students at UW part of the program out of a class of ~150? I can see how that would make the OP competitive in the Seattle market even without ties. But then again... brand new program so who knows.

It's definitely a better choice than GW though.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat May 16, 2015 9:17 am

The fellowship includes corporate placements which can mean future placements outside of the region as well as within Washington state.

Since the primary goal of law school is to secure a good job, it's hard to find any negative with this fellowship. It would be even more attractive if it waived non-resident tuition.

P.S. OP didn't present this very well.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Sat May 16, 2015 9:28 am

CanadianWolf wrote:The fellowship includes corporate placements which can mean future placements outside of the region as well as within Washington state.

That's a stretch. Just because Microsoft has offices around the world doesn't mean you get to hitch your wagon and work around the world. You work where their legal department is.

Since the primary goal of law school is to secure a good job, it's hard to find any negative with this fellowship. It would be even more attractive if it waived non-resident tuition.

If the 1L summer job was indeed a pipeline or honors program and he would just cruise through it would be a no brainer but there's no written guarantee or historical evidence that these firms/companies will hire him back for a second summer, much less extend a job offer after that.

OP could probably get in-state status after 1st year regardless of what the fellowship stipulates.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat May 16, 2015 9:40 am

Not entirely accurate. One certainly starts out in the corporate HQ, but I know lots of JDs who are in different locations worldwide. Some stay in a legal capacity, some move into management.

@pancakes: Are you an 0L ?

postard

Postby postard » Sat May 16, 2015 10:21 am

On out of state tuition:

Unlike CA, if you want residency in WA you can't be a full time student. Any time you spend there at school primarily will not count towards residency, which means an out of stater should assume they'll be paying 20k/year plus COL at UW (In staters should assume 5/k, I think).

Source: did UW undergrad

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Sat May 16, 2015 4:30 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Not entirely accurate. One certainly starts out in the corporate HQ, but I know lots of JDs who are in different locations worldwide. Some stay in a legal capacity, some move into management.

@pancakes: Are you an 0L ?

You know a *lot* of JDs who were able to parlay their state flagship JDs into a position at different locations worldwide? And can make the shift over from GC to VP? So many that it's actually a career path that someone with a 10-week 1L internship can base their life decisions on?

No, I'm not a 0L but I would have called BS on this even if I were.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 18, 2015 4:20 pm

Yes, I do know several JDs working abroad. Sorry if you have difficulty looking beyond your limited 1L guesswork.

BearState

Postby BearState » Fri May 22, 2015 1:48 pm

Unsure how the Gregoire Fellow name will shake out, but my impression is you still have to do pretty good at UW to get a 2L SA (the kind that results in permanent offers) even with a 1L diversity SA under your belt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”