Columbia($) v. UT($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Columbia or UT?

Columbia
25%
UT
75%

Total votes: 16

ptz

Columbia($) v. UT($$$)

Postby ptz » Fri May 01, 2015 2:32 pm

GPA: 3.6X
LSAT:177 (2 takes)

Looking at Columbia w/ $50k against UT with full tuition & fees + $4.5k/year in grants.

Priority WL at Duke and GULC. WL at Harvard, Chicago, NYU, Northwestern and Michigan. Dinged at Penn and UVA. Frustrating cycle probably due to late application and slight C&F issue. However, Columbia was always my top choice. I had an in person priority reserve interview at Duke which I feel went well, but I'm not super hopeful about receiving any significant $ off of any of my t14 waitlists.

Attended UT for undergrad and have lived in Austin for 8 years, and in Texas for my whole life.

Like many people I would like to go the preftigious PI route and save the world but I'm not naive to the pull of Biglaw and would be very open to that for awhile. Especially so from Columbia where that would pretty much be a necessity.

I'd like to work in either NYC or Austin, but would be okay with Houston as well. Understanding how difficult a market Austin is, is it any easier to crack from Columbia than Texas with my ties? Is the pretty much guaranteed shot at Biglaw from Columbia worth that much against what seems to be about a 1/3 chance from UT?

COA's would be ~50k for UT and ~250k for Columbia, financed through loans.

Is it ridiculous and stupid to even be considering this cost difference?
Last edited by ptz on Fri May 01, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ILoveYou

Re: Columbia($) v. UT($$$)

Postby ILoveYou » Fri May 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Yes. If you want to do PI in Texas, UT is a no brainer here. Being open to biglaw is fine and all, and you can still land it from UT if you decide to gun for it, but that debt load at Columbia would just about make it a necessity. Also, while your degree from Columbia would be more preftigous, UT is better for your goals and will carry more weight in your state. You talk about being from Texas, and having done UT undergrad....where in Texas are you from? If you're from Austin then I'd bet you have solid enough ties to crack that market from either school. I wouldn't pay 200k more for Columbia with your goals, though.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Yeah, most things seem to favor UT in this situation.

strugglebus

Postby strugglebus » Fri May 01, 2015 5:52 pm

The only real benefits to CLS here would be the better odds of biglaw (which you should have a good shot at in Texas with UT and your ties anyway) and the more national reach. Given your goals, it'd be very hard to justify paying for CLS.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Fri May 01, 2015 5:56 pm

I would strongly suggest UT here.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 01, 2015 8:11 pm

UT although I'm not sure exactly what you consider prestigious PI

If you want biglaw I would not go Columbia, reapply or ED NW or something

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 01, 2015 8:38 pm

ILoveYou wrote:Being open to biglaw is fine and all, and you can still land it from UT if you decide to gun for it

this suggests the 50-60% of students at UT who strike out at large firms just "aren't gunning for it." Not sure that's a fair assessment.

I think if you want to work in Texas, UT wins here. If you are looking to leave the state, then CLS.

transferror

Postby transferror » Fri May 01, 2015 9:14 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
ILoveYou wrote:Being open to biglaw is fine and all, and you can still land it from UT if you decide to gun for it

this suggests the 50-60% of students at UT who strike out at large firms just "aren't gunning for it." Not sure that's a fair assessment.

I think if you want to work in Texas, UT wins here. If you are looking to leave the state, then CLS reapply due to your late application and look for big $$ from Cornell/NU/UVA

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 01, 2015 9:30 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

I think if you want to work in Texas, UT wins here. If you are looking to leave the state, then CLS.

It's 250K debt Bags. I know you like Columbia but dude.

OP- I'd try and figure out what you're interested in- PI or big law. If you want prestigious PI then I wouldn't go to UT. It's iffy for big law but if you wanted TX big law and these were truly your only two options I think UT would be defensible. Columbia is out no matter what based on cost.

I think there has to be a better middle ground you can find with those numbers.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Fri May 01, 2015 10:01 pm

Reapply early. I'm not sure how serious your C&F was, but it probably was your late application that hurt you. With your numbers, you'll have full rides to T14s and maybe even Harvard.

ptz

Postby ptz » Tue May 05, 2015 4:19 pm

So let's say Texas biglaw is the goal, with Austin > Houston. Would waiting another year to get NW ED or other lower t14 $$$ have any advantages to UT full-ride+ this year? I would obviously prefer not to wait another year but if it would really be that much better for TX biglaw it is an option.

If I were to get in at Duke off priority reserve how much $ would justify attending? If I withdraw from CLS would I still have their $50k as a bargaining chip? And if I were able to use CLS's $ to get stipends from UT does that seal it?

BrazilBandit

Postby BrazilBandit » Tue May 05, 2015 4:25 pm

ptz wrote:So let's say Texas biglaw is the goal, with Austin > Houston. Would waiting another year to get NW ED or other lower t14 $$$ have any advantages to UT full-ride+ this year? I would obviously prefer not to wait another year but if it would really be that much better for TX biglaw it is an option.

If I were to get in at Duke off priority reserve how much $ would justify attending? If I withdraw from CLS would I still have their $50k as a bargaining chip? And if I were able to use CLS's $ to get stipends from UT does that seal it?

Expired offers are considered in the matching program, but keep it mind that the website says that requests SHOULD (not must) have been sent by May 1st.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue May 05, 2015 4:29 pm

You'd have to work in biglaw for at least 4 years just to pay off your debt at Columbia. That means that if you don't like biglaw (you won't), you will have taken 7 years to get back to where you are today (plus a JD). This is over simplistic but you get the idea. It would be dumb to me to not be able to actually do what you WANT to do in your legal career until 2022, and maybe even 2023. That's what you'd be looking at going to Columbia because you'll be a slave to the debt.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 05, 2015 4:39 pm

Between Texas for free & Columbia at $250,000 of student loan debt, the better choice is Texas--especially for one wishing to practice in Texas.

Whether or not you get biglaw from UT doesn't matter because you don't need biglaw to pay off student loan debt. Since you want public interest work, Texas for free is a great option because you can start out by working for low wages or even volunteering for 6 months or so to show your dedication & abilities--if needed due to tight budgets.

UpandDown97

Postby UpandDown97 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:44 pm

I was initially going to say Columbia, but after more thoroughly reading through your situation I side with Texas. The 200k difference is just too much to overcome.

That said, if you get into Duke and they offer you decent $$, it's worth a strong consideration.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 05, 2015 4:53 pm

ptz wrote:So let's say Texas biglaw is the goal, with Austin > Houston. Would waiting another year to get NW ED or other lower t14 $$$ have any advantages to UT full-ride+ this year? I would obviously prefer not to wait another year but if it would really be that much better for TX biglaw it is an option.

I've heard rumors that there are big law jobs in Austin but I think your best course of action is to proceed as if they don't actually exist. They are really, really, really hard to get.

Seriously

F
O
R
G
E
T

A
B
O
U
T

I
T

And proceed accordingly.

ptz

Postby ptz » Tue May 05, 2015 4:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:

I've heard rumors that there are big law jobs in Austin but I think your best course of action is to proceed as if they don't actually exist. They are really, really, really hard to get.

Seriously

F
O
R
G
E
T

A
B
O
U
T

I
T

And proceed accordingly.

Fair enough. Can you speak to my other questions?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 05, 2015 5:09 pm

ptz wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Seriously

F
O
R
G
E
T

A
B
O
U
T

I
T

And proceed accordingly.

Fair enough. Can you speak to my other questions?

I'd take 150K at NU in 2016 over UT full ride in 2015 if I really wanted big law UNLESS I was TX or bust. I'd have to be ok with NYC big law if I went to NU. But it'd probably give you a better chance at TX big law as well.

I don't realistically think you'll go the PI route but if you wanted prestigious PI then I wouldn't go to UT, I'd find my way to a T14 (and ideally as far up the food chain as possible).

If you're TX or bust or had modest PI goals in TX or wanted TX big law and UT was way cheaper than all your T14 options then I would go with UT.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 05, 2015 5:10 pm

And when I say TX big law I pretty much just mean big law in Houston or Dallas.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”