Berkeley ( sticker) V. Michigan (45, 000) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vvroses

New

Berkeley ( sticker) V. Michigan (45, 000)

Post by vvroses » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:13 pm

Basically contemplating between Berkeley at sticker or Michigan with $15, 000 each year. Also a Michigan instate resident (not a huge difference though).

I definitely would rather attend Berkeley, due to the IP law and tech focus, as well as connection to Cal firms. Visited the campus and really liked it. Just not sure if the money should hold me back.

Thoughts?

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Berkeley ( sticker) V. Michigan (45, 000)

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:19 pm

I think both are too expensive to justify attending

Are your numbers 3.89/162? Something like that?

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:20 pm

BigZuck wrote:I think both are too expensive to justify attending

Are your numbers 3.89/162? Something like that?
I agree with this. Also, I think you'd be crazy to pay sticker for any school, including Yale...

Since you'll have much lower COL in Ann Arbor and your 45k scholly, if you HAVE to pick between these two, I'd say Michigan. But both are too expensive.
Last edited by krads153 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:22 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:41 pm

I don't know your exact COA's, but I'm pretty sure Michigan at that price is a bad deal and that its going to take many years of biglaw just to break even. Berkeley at sticker is just outrageous. There is simply no way to win with that kind of debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Fri May 01, 2015 5:57 pm

Wouldn't pay that much for either of these schools, but Michigan is the better option here (at least without knowing your goals) because it's less frighteningly expensive.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 01, 2015 7:00 pm

Neither

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 01, 2015 7:07 pm

BUMP
BigZuck wrote:Are your numbers 3.89/162? Something like that?

vvroses

New

Post by vvroses » Sat May 02, 2015 10:01 am

Last edited by vvroses on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat May 02, 2015 10:08 am

vvroses wrote:Thanks for the replies!

My numbers are 4.16/164. I've taken the LSAT twice and had strong softs (international scholarship).

I plan to work in BigLaw to start and transition from there (interested in IP/tech).

My parents income prevents me from any need based grants. They are helping me finance law school.
I think it would be worth it to take the LSAT a third time.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Sat May 02, 2015 10:18 am

vvroses wrote:Thanks for the replies!

My numbers are 4.16/164. I've taken the LSAT twice and had strong softs (international scholarship).

I plan to work in BigLaw to start and transition from there (interested in IP/tech).

My parents income prevents me from any need based grants. They are helping me finance law school.
With that GPA, you realize that every point you can bump your LSAT is worth about $25K (even if it's from your parents)? I would target October and focus like a damn laser on that test. You can likely earn the equivalent of at least one year BigLaw salary (after taxes) just by slaying that test and having your applications ready to go when you get your results.

Caveat: You have to care enough about it to put in a really concerted effort. Depending on how much your parents are chipping in, this can sometimes water down how important money is. I'd treat their money like your own and try to smoke that test if it were me.

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Sat May 02, 2015 4:50 pm

Please please please retake and reapply. Don't waste a killer GPA like that. You should be able to get a T14 full ride.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat May 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Both options are too expensive. Retake the LSAT & reapply next cycle.

Nevertheless, if you must go to law school this cycle, then what are your other options ?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vvroses

New

Post by vvroses » Sat May 09, 2015 10:54 am

Last edited by vvroses on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Sat May 09, 2015 11:57 am

If your PT high was 168, then you shouldn't stop retaking until you either: (1) run out of retakes; or (2) hit 168 on an actual test.

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Sat May 09, 2015 12:24 pm

To put this in perspective OP: You have one of the very few GPA's that makes Yale a very strong possibility

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Sat May 09, 2015 12:28 pm

If you come from a science or math background tbh you should be able to kill the LSAT

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Sat May 09, 2015 7:22 pm

Adding to the retake chorus. That GPA and a stronger score would give you a shot anywhere.

vvroses

New

Post by vvroses » Sun May 10, 2015 12:29 am

I would consider retaking if I could defer my acceptances. Anyone have any idea if that's possible?
I'll be graduating undergrad this May so I would need to find a full-time job asap.
Nomo wrote:If your PT high was 168, then you shouldn't stop retaking until you either: (1) run out of retakes; or (2) hit 168 on an actual test.
I ran out of tests and burnt out. If I studied again, the Dec '14 and June '15 would be the only tests from 1996 + that I haven't done
tskela wrote:If you come from a science or math background tbh you should be able to kill the LSAT
Totally agree my science background shouldn't impact my ability to do well, but I'm not a great reader. RC and LR were tough for me, LG was easy.

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Post by BiglawAssociate » Sun May 10, 2015 2:04 am

tskela wrote:If you come from a science or math background tbh you should be able to kill the LSAT
Why? Just because someone studied science/math doesn't mean they do well on standardized tests. Any asshole can study math/science at a TTT undergrad and ace easy as shit classes (not saying that's what happened here, but just because someone studied it doesn't mean jack shit).

Back to this thread - did OP already deposit? I thought deposits were due already.

justkeepswimming794

New

Post by justkeepswimming794 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:25 am

vvroses wrote:To be honest, I don't know that retaking will do much for my score. My first score was lower than 164 and the high from my PTs was 168. I'm not a great standardized test taker, and I come from a science heavy undergrad (not that it should make that big of a difference).

Having said that, I do see the value of retaking. Does anyone know if it's possible to defer an acceptance and still register to take the LSAT in October?

My other options are NYU (sticker) and Georgetown.
if money isn't an issue and you would rather be in berkeley and you genuinely believe your lsat won't improve - then go! its just that most people, unable to fund sticker price, are going to tell you to do whatever it takes to get that cost down. also living in the bay is really pricey, even in some of the less-ritzy parts. don't go to nyu at sticker. or georgetown. i would check your financial situation with your parents and realistically assess costs, and if thats not going to work consider lsat again, and if you don't think that'll improve -- take michigan.

good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Sun May 10, 2015 3:08 pm

the selfish thing to do would be to just go and let your parents take care of any added $$ you would get by retaking. Is it worth sitting out a year to save your parent s a buck; your choice.

TLS, as much as it tries, is not the moral police.

And depending on how rich your folks are, this tuition could be a drop in the bucket.

OP: i would def go (to berk)

vvroses

New

Post by vvroses » Sun May 10, 2015 8:14 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:
Why? Just because someone studied science/math doesn't mean they do well on standardized tests. Any asshole can study math/science at a TTT undergrad and ace easy as shit classes (not saying that's what happened here, but just because someone studied it doesn't mean jack shit).

Back to this thread - did OP already deposit? I thought deposits were due already.
IMO my GPA is a reflection of my ability to work really hard, and study hard. I used that same work ethic for the LSAT but it didn't reflect in the score.

I was able to get an extension on the deposit.

vvroses

New

Post by vvroses » Sun May 10, 2015 8:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

For those who say go to Berk over NYU, why is that? The 45, 000 from Michigan isn't enough of a pull for me to go there over Berk, but NYU is still on my radar

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Sun May 10, 2015 11:10 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:

I just feel that with the right type of studying and enough time, OP should have all he needs in the way of intrinsic logical/analytical skills coming from a STEM background to do well on the LSAT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”