GWU ($$$) vs. Emory ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Trillarvi

GWU ($$$) vs. Emory ($$$)

Postby Trillarvi » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:35 am

Following the moderator's instructions as best I can:

1) Considering Emory and George Washington

2) No matter how many times I tried loading that financial aid calculator is wasn't opening on my computer but I have a 108k scholarship to GWU and a 99k scholarship to Emory.

3) Would be financing through loans+family

4) I am from Miami (went to University of Miami), I have no specific region in mind, just thinking major city. I suppose I significant ties in Miami (father is a lawyer, godfather was a lawyer transitioned into business)

5) In terms of career goals I don't have one specifically in mind, I wasn't planning to attend for a specific specialty (such as IP at GWU), but big law would be first choice for natural reasons. Thinking internationally as well given my SO was born and raised in Rome.

6) LSAT 165 / GPA 3.68*

*While I bet I know the answer already to if this changes things, I double majored in mathematics (3.7) and economics (3.9)

7) Took the LSAT once.

Some basic background info: graduated in 2013 (I am turning 24 in June), started a tutoring business while studying for the LSAT/applying. Around the time I was considering schools I was offered a job at an accounting firm in Miami for legal services/supporting expert witnesses. Thought it would give me a chance to experience the real world, etc. I was then laid off December 2014 (combination of being vocal about going to business/law school, not interested in getting a CPA as would be required if I stayed there, not doing my job well apparently, etc.) So here I am, applying to law school again late in the cycle (since I didn't really expect to be applying this year).

I should also mention I took the GMAT and got a 720 (the second time) and applied to business schools to see what would happen, though I am not expecting much given my lack of work experience.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions much appreciated thanks!

Hikikomorist

Re: GWU ($$$) vs. Emory ($$$)

Postby Hikikomorist » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:24 pm

And all the TLS posters chanted in unison, "Retake."

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:26 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:And all the TLS posters chanted in unison, "Retake."

I think OP should probably decide whether (s)he'd prefer to go into business or law.

Trillarvi

Postby Trillarvi » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:41 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:And all the TLS posters chanted in unison, "Retake."

I think OP should probably decide whether (s)he'd prefer to go into business or law.

This is something I have hurt my brain trying to decide. I'm trying to avoid the "went to law school thinking I want to be a lawyer and now omg what was I thinking" path and the same can be said for business school.

My problem is I can see myself in both but I can't just gaze into both futures and find the real answer.

P.S. I'm male for future reference

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Trillarvi wrote:
This is something I have hurt my brain trying to decide. I'm trying to avoid the "went to law school thinking I want to be a lawyer and now omg what was I thinking" path and the same can be said for business school.

My problem is I can see myself in both but I can't just gaze into both futures and find the real answer.

If I were you I'd reach out to individuals who currently hold the kind of positions you want to eventually occupy and ask them all the tough questions you want to have answered about their position. If you decide law, I'd retake for better options. If you decide business, I'd get that CPA and get a few more years work experience before applying to an MBA program. If you decide both/some marriage of the two, then I'd retake and work a couple more years before applying to some of the best JD/MBA programs out there. I don't think TLS can really help you until you have a (moderately) clear picture of what you want moving forward.

transferror

Postby transferror » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:53 pm

Biglawl is your "first choice" goal so retake for $$ in T14 or re-adjust your goals. I think a high retake (170+) could get you decent money at NU, and you should ED if they're still doing the 150k scholarship ED for admits. Go work one more year, retake in the fall and apply right after you get the score back.

Trillarvi

Postby Trillarvi » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:18 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
Trillarvi wrote:

If I were you I'd reach out to individuals who currently hold the kind of positions you want to eventually occupy and ask them all the tough questions you want to have answered about their position. If you decide law, I'd retake for better options. If you decide business, I'd get that CPA and get a few more years work experience before applying to an MBA program. If you decide both/some marriage of the two, then I'd retake and work a couple more years before applying to some of the best JD/MBA programs out there. I don't think TLS can really help you until you have a (moderately) clear picture of what you want moving forward.

Yeah given the vagueness of career paths I figured TLS couldn't be crazy detailed in how to help but this itself was already helpful so thank you.

Trillarvi

Postby Trillarvi » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:21 pm

transferror wrote:Biglawl is your "first choice" goal so retake for $$ in T14 or re-adjust your goals. I think a high retake (170+) could get you decent money at NU, and you should ED if they're still doing the 150k scholarship ED for admits. Go work one more year, retake in the fall and apply right after you get the score back.

I figured this would be the advice given. I certainly wish I was aware of this site sooner than a couple of a days ago but better late than never I suppose.

Based on other posts I was browsing it seems retaking to even low 170s has a chance to do even better than ED NU but perhaps I was misreading. Is it the GPA that brings it down?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:29 pm

Trillarvi wrote:
transferror wrote:Biglawl is your "first choice" goal so retake for $$ in T14 or re-adjust your goals. I think a high retake (170+) could get you decent money at NU, and you should ED if they're still doing the 150k scholarship ED for admits. Go work one more year, retake in the fall and apply right after you get the score back.

I figured this would be the advice given. I certainly wish I was aware of this site sooner than a couple of a days ago but better late than never I suppose.

Based on other posts I was browsing it seems retaking to even low 170s has a chance to do even better than ED NU but perhaps I was misreading. Is it the GPA that brings it down?

NU ED is unique because it comes with a 150k scholarship. So it's a better outcome than most other T-14 options and thus more competitive. You should be able to get in with a 168+, but would likely need a few more points above that to have a good chance via ED.

FWIW I had a somewhat similar background to yours and similar goals as well. I think retaking and figuring things out makes a lot of sense for you. I originally applied to LS when I was 26 but hadn't thought things through and sort of took the LSAT on a whim. I found TLS late in the cycle and re-took just in time to save myself from heading off to a place that just wasn't going to make biglaw very likely at all. By the time I did everything over I was already 28 when I started LS but it was definitely worth waiting. The best part is your GPA is a couple tenths higher than mine and the number of applicants is much, much lower than it was a few years ago when I applied, so with just 3-4 more points on the LSAT you can be looking at far better options than you currently have.

Trillarvi

Postby Trillarvi » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:44 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Trillarvi wrote:

NU ED is unique because it comes with a 150k scholarship. So it's a better outcome than most other T-14 options and thus more competitive. You should be able to get in with a 168+, but would likely need a few more points above that to have a good chance via ED.

FWIW I had a somewhat similar background to yours and similar goals as well. I think retaking and figuring things out makes a lot of sense for you. I originally applied to LS when I was 26 but hadn't thought things through and sort of took the LSAT on a whim. I found TLS late in the cycle and re-took just in time to save myself from heading off to a place that just wasn't going to make biglaw very likely at all. By the time I did everything over I was already 28 when I started LS but it was definitely worth waiting. The best part is your GPA is a couple tenths higher than mine and the number of applicants is much, much lower than it was a few years ago when I applied, so with just 3-4 more points on the LSAT you can be looking at far better options than you currently have.

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who had trouble deciding on a future (omg there are other people in their 20s confused by their future? No way!!!).

If you don't mind me asking, what was it eventually that confirmed to you law school was it?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:02 pm

To be honest part of it is that law was the easy path. If you go to a top school you'll have a great shot at a biglaw job after just one year. In business there are a lot of different pathways and the process can be quite a bit murkier. That sounds sort of pathetic as I type it but hey we're all a little risk averse.

I also started studying for the CFA and realized hard finance wasn't my thing. I worked in the financial services/retirement planning areas and realized I'd much rather try to decipher the law than run numbers in a spreadsheet, so that helped make my decision. Ultimately I don't think the pathways are that different but that's what made law work for me. I was able to pursue my legal interests without having to do a complete 180 from my old career and the knowledge I gained from working in the financial world will probably be even more useful as a corporate lawyer than it was as a retirement plan salesman.

UpandDown97

Postby UpandDown97 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:16 pm

Last edited by UpandDown97 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trillarvi

Postby Trillarvi » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:26 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:To be honest part of it is that law was the easy path. If you go to a top school you'll have a great shot at a biglaw job after just one year. In business there are a lot of different pathways and the process can be quite a bit murkier. That sounds sort of pathetic as I type it but hey we're all a little risk averse.

I also started studying for the CFA and realized hard finance wasn't my thing. I worked in the financial services/retirement planning areas and realized I'd much rather try to decipher the law than run numbers in a spreadsheet, so that helped make my decision. Ultimately I don't think the pathways are that different but that's what made law work for me. I was able to pursue my legal interests without having to do a complete 180 from my old career and the knowledge I gained from working in the financial world will probably be even more useful as a corporate lawyer than it was as a retirement plan salesman.

That certainly makes sense. It seems to me you delved into the business world and realized you kept thinking about law and that helped send you in that direction. Seems I should be doing the same.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:28 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:To be honest part of it is that law was the easy path. If you go to a top school you'll have a great shot at a biglaw job after just one year. In business there are a lot of different pathways and the process can be quite a bit murkier. That sounds sort of pathetic as I type it but hey we're all a little risk averse.

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but the above assumption was why I didn't bother with the business option in the OP. I just assume everyone would rather take the easy way, as I would.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”