UF Law or Emory Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF Law v Emory Law

UF Law
54%
Emory Law
46%

Total votes: 13

hasangsu

UF Law or Emory Law

Postby hasangsu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:58 am

Hi everyone I need some advice. I need to decide between either attending Emory Law or UF Law as a transfer student.

My Situation: I am 29 years old, I am born and raised in Atlanta, GA. I am married and have a 4 year child. My wife is currently pregnant with our second child and she has 1 semester of school left (Fall 2015) in Atlanta and she will be graduating in December 2015. However, I have been accepted at UF Law ($22k tuition per year for 2 years) with in-state tuition and at Emory at sticker ($50k tuition per year for 2 years). I have been rejected from UGA and Georgia State law schools. My parents live here in Atlanta and have offered to let my wife and son stay with them from August to December and take care of them IF i got to UF.

Ties and Career Goals: I am an Atlanta native and have attended Georgia State U for undergrad, did an MBA in Finance from Northeastern in Boston, but worked entirely here in Atlanta my whole life. My family and friends are all here in Atlanta along with all connections and network.

However, in Florida I have one brother who lives in Fort Lauderdale who just moved there this year. 2 cousins in law school 1L @ UM and a 3L @ FSU but I haven't talked to them in like 10 years since our moms do not get along. Other than that I have ZERO ties with Florida.

My career goals are private practice and I know I do not want to work big law because I am not able to handle the demands of such a job. I have my own business an online business which pays all my bills so living expenses are not an issue.

Living expenses will be easily be paid by my online business either in Atlanta or Gainesville, Fl.

So, Should I transfer to UF Law for total tuition cost of $44,000 and be apart from my wife and son for 4 months or Emory Law in Atlanta for total tuition cost of $100,000?
Last edited by hasangsu on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sflyr2016

Re: UF Law or Emory Law

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:15 am

stay with ur family, especially if you want to practice in ga. emory is not cheap, but ur situation is a bit different. maybe apply to alabama... if the cost is comparable to uf then it might be worth considering.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:31 am

since you don't want big law and have ties in GA and FL, Going to Florida will hurt you a little in the eyes of employers but nothing that cant be overcome (by telling your story). that plus you have extensive ties in atlanta make Florida the choice, imo.

Accumulating that much extra debt would only make sense if you get biglaw to pay it back.

i can't speak to the personal considerations though

lawdoggy

Postby lawdoggy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:29 pm

Where are you getting these numbers? The COA at Emory at sticker is NOT 100k, bro. It's 154k for tuition ALONE.

That said, sounds like UF is the right fit.

hasangsu

Postby hasangsu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:32 pm

lawdoggy wrote:Where are you getting these numbers? The COA at Emory at sticker is NOT 100k, bro. It's 154k for tuition ALONE.

That said, sounds like UF is the right fit.

I am a transfer student so I only need to pay for 2 years worth of tuition not 3 at Emory or UF.

transferror

Postby transferror » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:41 pm

What school are you transferring out of and do you have a scholarship (if so, how much)?

hasangsu

Postby hasangsu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:21 pm

transferror wrote:What school are you transferring out of and do you have a scholarship (if so, how much)?

I am transferring out of John Marshall in Atlanta. The tuition for next 2 years is $84k and remaining scholarship is $18k so that means staying at John Marshall will cost me $66k just tuition alone. UF will cost $44k tuition alone and Emory $100k tuition alone for next 2 years.

transferror

Postby transferror » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Ouch. Attending John Marshall at that price (really any price) was a bad call, but I'm glad things have gone well for you. I'd say bite the bullet on the $$ and just go to Emory. I think the Atl opportunities from Emory + being with family outweighs the 55k savings from UF, but it's really a personal decision for you to make.

lawdoggy

Postby lawdoggy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:49 pm

I didn't see anything in the OP about transferring. That being the case, I guess I'd say Emory. Not much sense in moving.

hasangsu

Postby hasangsu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:39 pm

transferror wrote:Ouch. Attending John Marshall at that price (really any price) was a bad call, but I'm glad things have gone well for you. I'd say bite the bullet on the $$ and just go to Emory. I think the Atl opportunities from Emory + being with family outweighs the 55k savings from UF, but it's really a personal decision for you to make.

Well I only paid $18k tuition for the first year at John Marshall with all the scholarships they offered in my first year. Which is actually as cheap as many state schools. I didn't borrow anything on top of tuition so debt is very manageable right now.

However, if I go to UF I can complete my JD for about $62k tuition only cost or at Emory for $118k tuition only and this includes my first year of John Marshall tuition. I am blessed that my business pays for all my living expenses.

I just wonder if saving $56k by going to UF is a smart choice or not given that all my family is here in Atlanta and I would like to work in Atlanta BUT I do not want to work Big Law.

Postby 071816 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:40 pm

UF because it is the number one law school in the country.

transferror

Postby transferror » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:44 pm

hasangsu wrote:
transferror wrote:Ouch. Attending John Marshall at that price (really any price) was a bad call, but I'm glad things have gone well for you. I'd say bite the bullet on the $$ and just go to Emory. I think the Atl opportunities from Emory + being with family outweighs the 55k savings from UF, but it's really a personal decision for you to make.

Well I only paid $18k tuition for the first year at John Marshall with all the scholarships they offered in my first year. Which is actually as cheap as many state schools. I didn't borrow anything on top of tuition so debt is very manageable right now.

However, if I go to UF I can complete my JD for about $62k tuition only cost or at Emory for $118k tuition only and this includes my first year of John Marshall tuition. I am blessed that my business pays for all my living expenses.

I just wonder if saving $56k by going to UF is a smart choice or not given that all my family is here in Atlanta and I would like to work in Atlanta BUT I do not want to work Big Law.

I didn't mean to bash you for attending JM, more like I was breathing a sigh of relief for you because it could have worked out very poorly and you seem to be in a decent spot now.

There's no reason to go to UF other than money, which I think is outweighed by family + geographic preference for ATL. At Emory, you will be able to work for small firms/gov agencies/solos during the year and network in Atlanta. The fact that you don't want biglaw weighs against taking more debt but in favor of going to school in your target market, because small firms and gov jobs are best acquired through demonstrated commitment during the year and networking. All of that is lost at UF. Plus you have a family in Atl. 55k is a lot of money, but I don't think it's crushing enough for you to leave your family or target market.

UpandDown97

Postby UpandDown97 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:49 pm

Stay in Atlanta.

hasangsu

Postby hasangsu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:53 pm

transferror wrote:I didn't mean to bash you for attending JM, more like I was breathing a sigh of relief for you because it could have worked out very poorly and you seem to be in a decent spot now.

There's no reason to go to UF other than money, which I think is outweighed by family + geographic preference for ATL. At Emory, you will be able to work for small firms/gov agencies/solos during the year and network in Atlanta. The fact that you don't want biglaw weighs against taking more debt but in favor of going to school in your target market, because small firms and gov jobs are best acquired through demonstrated commitment during the year and networking. All of that is lost at UF. Plus you have a family in Atl. 55k is a lot of money, but I don't think it's crushing enough for you to leave your family or target market.

I did not take it as offensive. I personally was very disappointed in myself when I matriculated at John Marshall. However, I knew that I had to work hard and those grades and I ended my first #4/158 in my class. My problem was that in college my family had a major financial hardship b/c my dad lost his business and I had to work and missed a lot of class and ended with a 2.25 GPA in undergrad. That killed my chances at a lot of law schools and I knew I had to work extra hard in my 1L year to transfer.

I agree that John Marshall was a very risky call because I could have fallen anywhere in the curve and been stuck there for all 3 years but it was my only chance at the time and I took it because of the large scholarship offer. I am blessed to be the position that I am in, in weighing between 2 Tier one schools unlike the majority of students at John Marshall. But I take no offense to your comments but thank you for being honest and straight forward. I appreciate it.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:56 pm

UpandDown97 wrote:Stay in Atlanta.

Yeah, I think Emory is the move.

adil91

Postby adil91 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:06 pm

I think the elephant in the room is how Emory accepted him yet GSU and UGA turned him down...

hasangsu

Postby hasangsu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:29 pm

adil91 wrote:I think the elephant in the room is how Emory accepted him yet GSU and UGA turned him down...

Like I stated earlier my Ugpa was very low and UGA and GSU both have this as a requirement for transfer applicants:

You also must possess credentials comparable to those of the class to which you are applying.

http://law.gsu.edu/admissions/how-to-ap ... -students/

My Ugpa was too low which is why I got shut out from both GSU and UGA.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:29 pm

transferror wrote:
hasangsu wrote:

I didn't mean to bash you for attending JM, more like I was breathing a sigh of relief for you because it could have worked out very poorly and you seem to be in a decent spot now.

totally agree with this

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:37 pm

I go to UF. I almost transferred, but stayed. I understand pretty well the value of a law degree from here. And I think you should consider Emory. Yes the debt total is nothing to sneeze at and I would probably change my answer if you were not from Atlanta and married with a kid and another on the way. And the biglaw thing should not have been a huge consideration since it would be hard to land it from either school as a transfer (although not impossible). Given your situation, Emory gives you the better degree in the market you want to practice in and can finish school without uprooting the family. Try to defray tuition costs through your online business and working while in school. Plus, with your wife graduating soon she might be able to work by your 3rd year since you will have family in the area to help with child-care duties; the concerns about the costs somewhat even out. But, more importantly, the situation will probably be a better one for you and your family by going to Emory. Either way, I think transferring is a good idea regardless of where you attend and am happy to give you more info on UF if you do decide to come so just pm me (prob. won't get back to you until after next week since I am in finals and should not be on tls...).

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:35 pm

Emory - money isn't worth much, they print more of it every day. But the peace of mind and comfort for your family, which not having to worry about helped you do well enough in your 1L to transfer out and up. Driving I-75 for fun runs back and forth home is a dull grind. I have lived in two major FL markets and worked in both states during my career. ATL is a city, your prospects after graduation are going to be better with the Emory paper.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... tion/2014/

hasangsu

Postby hasangsu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:21 pm

joeant wrote:I go to UF. I almost transferred, but stayed. I understand pretty well the value of a law degree from here. And I think you should consider Emory. Yes the debt total is nothing to sneeze at and I would probably change my answer if you were not from Atlanta and married with a kid and another on the way. And the biglaw thing should not have been a huge consideration since it would be hard to land it from either school as a transfer (although not impossible). Given your situation, Emory gives you the better degree in the market you want to practice in and can finish school without uprooting the family. Try to defray tuition costs through your online business and working while in school. Plus, with your wife graduating soon she might be able to work by your 3rd year since you will have family in the area to help with child-care duties; the concerns about the costs somewhat even out. But, more importantly, the situation will probably be a better one for you and your family by going to Emory. Either way, I think transferring is a good idea regardless of where you attend and am happy to give you more info on UF if you do decide to come so just pm me (prob. won't get back to you until after next week since I am in finals and should not be on tls...).

Joeant, thank you for your advice. I think you are totally right when considering my situation. My main concern is the debt because I do not want to put my family in a position where we cannot afford a home or cars because of my student loans. Emory and Atlanta are definitely a good fit but it is just taking on that kind of debt which scares me when I know I won't get a big law job to pay the student payment. My wife will be finishing nursing school for free at GSU and she will start working in February 2016 after taking her NCLEX board exam. So that will definitely help but as a Registered Nurse she can find work anywhere pretty easily. Being apart for 4 months won't be the end of the world but getting a job in FL or GA after graduating from UF without ties in FL might also be a problem. So I think you guys are all correct that my best bet is to bite the bullet and pay the extra $5X,000 for the Emory degree.

Again thanks everyone for all your advice. I will make my final decision on May 6.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Fri May 01, 2015 12:15 am

With your wife's income and your online business you should be able to minimize the loans. I know you don't want "biglaw" but you should apply anyway given your debt. Plus, Emory will give you a good shot at "midlaw" firms and well-regarded boutique firms in that area, and either will pay well. Although UF could do the same, it will be so much harder for you to beat out other students who are from Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando and Miami, and do so as a transfer.

You are from Atlanta and Emory is the best school there. You did well your first year. You have a family, so I am assuming you are probably normal. You will have doors open for you, I am sure. As for the debt, yeah it sucks. And you probably won't be driving a benz anytime soon. But paying sticker to go to UF as a transfer with no real connection to any city UF feeds into would not put you any closer to having "cars" or a "home" either. Your wife is on a scholarship and will be working while you are in law school. So long as you have a job upon graduation, I am pretty sure you and your wife will be off to a fine start. And I think Emory will increase your chances at a job given your situation.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”