Brooklyn ($$) vs Maryland ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
canadalaw

Brooklyn ($$) vs Maryland ($)

Postby canadalaw » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:18 am

- Canadian international student

- 159/3.1

- getting gov't loans

- Brooklyn offered 30K scholarship and Maryland offered 18K (I can try to negotiate further depending on your replies and or advices)

- mostly interested in International law

- Brooklyn Tuition is 45K + books/stuff so 50K in total... im gonna be living with a relative so my housing expenses will be minimal

- Maryland is 50K after all tuition and housing expenses...

*Note: My goal would be to transfer to Fordham or Georgetown after 1L , ofcourse that is something I want to consider because as you all know... Maryland is a 1st tier school and Brooklyn a 2nd tier... will that affect my transfer chances???? I need detailed help on this question because it is most important.

Thank You

Traynor Brah

Re: Brooklyn ($$) vs Maryland ($)

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:36 am

Other people will give the actual reasons but this is a very very bad plan. Please retake and do not go this fall.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:38 am

Don't go to either school without a full ride, perhaps not even with a full ride. You're definitely going to want to start studying for an lsat retake.

Have you looked up the employment statistics of both schools?

canadalaw

Postby canadalaw » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:44 am

thanks for the replies, but it seems like you guys are critical of every single school that is not in t14

regardless, I don't know who ranks these things... if Maryland is so horrible, who put it in 42nd position in country?

and yeah I know employment prospective for these two schools are crappy, but ill try my best to transfer out after 1L

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:51 am

Ah seems like you don't want actual advice then just validation? Gl bro this is not going to end well (not this thread, but your 20s).

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:06 am

This sounds like a troll or hopeless. Just in case tho:

OP, make a poll with the two schools you are considering plus a third option for retake the LSAT. You'll see that virtually everyone will be telling u to retake. Those are terrible options/plans.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:54 am

canadalaw wrote:thanks for the replies, but it seems like you guys are critical of every single school that is not in t14

regardless, I don't know who ranks these things... if Maryland is so horrible, who put it in 42nd position in country?

and yeah I know employment prospective for these two schools are crappy, but ill try my best to transfer out after 1L

You have a five percent chance of being in a position to transfer out into a better school. You have a much better chance (controlled by how much effort you put in) of doing better on the LSAT when you retake and then getting into a much better school with better employment outcomes. OP, consider heading over to the LSAT prep forums and putting some time in to ensure you give yourself the best chance at achieving your goals.

canadalaw

Postby canadalaw » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:05 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
canadalaw wrote:thanks for the replies, but it seems like you guys are critical of every single school that is not in t14

You have a five percent chance of being in a position to transfer out into a better school. You have a much better chance (controlled by how much effort you put in) of doing better on the LSAT when you retake and then getting into a much better school with better employment outcomes. OP, consider heading over to the LSAT prep forums and putting some time in to ensure you give yourself the best chance at achieving your goals.

thank you for your rational reply.

which Non-t14 school would you consider good in that category? in east coast mainly,

also, do u know why Maryland is first tier when you all think its horrible? shouldn't the ranking be according to employment outcome results of the school?

thanks alot

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:14 am

In what category? And Maryland isn't a bad school if you grow up in Maryland/want to stay in Maryland, have modest goals, and a full scholarship. Without that being the case, and International Law certainly isn't a modest goal, I don't think anyone here could recommend Maryland to you.

I'm curious about what you want to do in international law? Do you mean public interest/human rights work? Or do you mean facilitating transactions taking place between businesses from different nations?

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:37 am

OK you're being a little shit and this might be flame but I can help now.
canadalaw wrote:- Canadian international student

Generally you're going to need a biglaw job to sponsor your visa if you want to stay in the US. (I don't know shit about this but it's what comes up in every thread on TLS so I'm going to assume you need a shot at a big firm job)
canadalaw wrote:- 159/3.1

No offense, but a 159 is a bad score. Especially when you have a poor GPA, you're going to need to do significantly better than this before you will have reasonable options for law school.
canadalaw wrote:- Brooklyn offered 30K scholarship and Maryland offered 18K (I can try to negotiate further depending on your replies and or advices)

Brooklyn has terrible employment statistics. http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/brooklyn/2013/. Taking 150K debt is completely unjustifiable. Maryland is the same price, you say, and that is also straight unjustifiable. http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/maryland/. Both of these schools require a full ride to be a reasonable choice. You have a coin flip's chance at getting a job as a lawyer.
canadalaw wrote:- mostly interested in International law

This is extremely concerning. It means you have done little to no research about the profession. I don't think you're in a position to go to law school even if you had far better options -- you have no idea what you want to do.

canadalaw wrote:*Note: My goal would be to transfer to Fordham or Georgetown after 1L , ofcourse that is something I want to consider because as you all know... Maryland is a 1st tier school and Brooklyn a 2nd tier... will that affect my transfer chances???? I need detailed help on this question because it is most important.

Transferring as a 0L is a terrible idea. Transferring to Fordham? LOL. You realize your best case scenario with either of these options (the probability of which is [b]literally in the low single digits, at least w/r/t GTTTown) is graduating 250K in debt, right? Because you have no reason to believe you will do better than 95% percent of your classmates (I mean, you have a 159/3.1)(again, literally what you'll need to do if you want to transfer somewhere good from one of these schools), the most likely scenario is getting median grades and graduating from one of these without a job and with 150K in debt, fighting to get insurance defense or doc review work.

This is simply untrue. Many prominent TLSers do not attend T14s. I do not attend a T14. These schools you are considering are flat out dumpster fires, though. If you are not a local who does not have a full ride, either is simply unjustifiable.

canadalaw wrote:regardless, I don't know who ranks these things... if Maryland is so horrible, who put it in 42nd position in country?

USNWR is completely worthless and meaningless. Rankings are irrelevant; the T13 exists not being USNWR says it does, but because there are actually 12-3 schools with employment statistics that are truly elite and in a category by themselves. Then there are several strong regional schools that are solid alternative options for the right scenario. Neither of these schools fit that bill for you, by a long shot.
canadalaw wrote:which Non-t14 school would you consider good in that category? in east coast mainly,

You need to retake, or find another career path. But as you don't have any clue what you want to do as an attorney, and because you have no serious ties to a region and will likely need biglaw, and because a place like Fordham isn't going to give you enough money to make it worth it regardless of your lsat b/c of your crappy GPA, you're going to need to retake for like > 170 do Northwestern or Cornell at bigdebt. I would honestly just try to find a less risky career path.

Good luck.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:45 am

canadalaw wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:

thank you for your rational reply.

which Non-t14 school would you consider good in that category? in east coast mainly,

also, do u know why Maryland is first tier when you all think its horrible? shouldn't the ranking be according to employment outcome results of the school?

thanks alot

Schools are not either "good" or "bad" - that depends on context. The lowest-ranked school in the country where only 20% of graduates get jobs as lawyers is a fine choice if it's free and you have a guaranteed job with your employer once you check the "JD" box. A T14 can be a terrible choice if you want a private sector job but will be walking away with 300k in debt. Maryland is fine if, say, you're from the area, you're comfortable working at a DA or PD office or small firm making 40k, having a not-insignificant chance of being un- or underemployed, AND would graduate with a manageable debt load.

Until you get some good possibilities (as in an alignment of job prospects, career goals, and debt), everyone will rightfully be telling you to PLEASE RETAKE OR DONT GO TO LAW SCHOOL.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:51 am

Your current options are most likely to leave you with substantial debt & no job. Unlike Canada, one's LSAT score is the most important factor considered in law school admissions in the US. This means that you can, to a significant extent, undo the harm caused by your low GPA with a high LSAT score.

Consider retaking the LSAT. A few points higher could yield a much more generous scholarship. Why not do a dual degree (US & Canadian law degrees) program ? This can be a back-door entry to a Canadian Law School which might be otherwise closed to you due to your low GPA. (Michigan State has such a program. Two years at a US law school, then two years at a Canadian law school & you get law degrees from both schools.)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”