Chicago v. Harvard v. Stanford

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BruceWayne

Re: Chicago v. Harvard v. Stanford

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:57 am

omegaweapon wrote:Chicago seems like a pretty clear choice, since you don't have any goals that are really enhanced by Stanford. If you change your mind and do biglaw, you probably graduate with closer to 60k debt. Their COA estimate is really high, and you should be able to get substantial SA money.

If you stick with PI, you'll be fine with their LRAP. In the worst case, where PSLF explodes, (pretty likely) and Chicago doesn't work something out for current students (unlikely) you still have a livable debt load.

Honestly, since you don't have any specific PI goals and are open to firms, it's pretty likely that you end up at one, and 60k can be paid off in 2 years in Chicago or 3 in NY without that much lifestyle imposition, at least compared to 180k, which is probably a minimum of four years if you're a hermit.

People really need to stop with this.

omegaweapon

Postby omegaweapon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:57 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
omegaweapon wrote:Chicago seems like a pretty clear choice, since you don't have any goals that are really enhanced by Stanford. If you change your mind and do biglaw, you probably graduate with closer to 60k debt. Their COA estimate is really high, and you should be able to get substantial SA money.

If you stick with PI, you'll be fine with their LRAP. In the worst case, where PSLF explodes, (pretty likely) and Chicago doesn't work something out for current students (unlikely) you still have a livable debt load.

Honestly, since you don't have any specific PI goals and are open to firms, it's pretty likely that you end up at one, and 60k can be paid off in 2 years in Chicago or 3 in NY without that much lifestyle imposition, at least compared to 180k, which is probably a minimum of four years if you're a hermit.

I mean, Obama is in favor of capping it, and Republicans want to get rid of it all-together, so it seems pretty likely that the program won't be the same in 13 years. There's a good chance people will be grandfathered in somehow, but I wouldn't call it a sure thing at all.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:55 pm

omegaweapon wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

I mean, Obama is in favor of capping it, and Republicans want to get rid of it all-together, so it seems pretty likely that the program won't be the same in 13 years. There's a good chance people will be grandfathered in somehow, but I wouldn't call it a sure thing at all.

What's your point? Do you live in a bubble? Life isn't a sure thing. You could get hit by a bus today. The idea that PSLF wouldn't be grandfathered in, or that Chicago wouldn't revise its LRAP is just laughable.

This might be a concern at some TTT's, but Chicago has plenty of $ and definitely realizes it can't afford to lose out on all PI students, regardless of what changes to PSLF are made

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:00 pm

D00d, the new employment figures show that Chicago can outdo Harvard. Take the money and delete this silly thread.

omegaweapon

Postby omegaweapon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:27 am

bearsfan23 wrote:
omegaweapon wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

What's your point? Do you live in a bubble? Life isn't a sure thing. You could get hit by a bus today. The idea that PSLF wouldn't be grandfathered in, or that Chicago wouldn't revise its LRAP is just laughable.

This might be a concern at some TTT's, but Chicago has plenty of $ and definitely realizes it can't afford to lose out on all PI students, regardless of what changes to PSLF are made

That's why I told OP to go to Chicago?

I think it's important to consider the median outcome, and see if it makes you happy; the bottom ten percent outcome, and whether you can live with it; and the worst possible outcome, and if you can literally live with it. Chicago is the only one to pass all three tests. I even said that it was unlikely that Chicago wouldn't change the program to make it work somehow

Return to “Choosing a Law School”