GW vs Emory

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hibbleton

GW vs Emory

Postby hibbleton » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi guys! Looking for some insight with my decision. I've already done the first deposit at Emory but GW just emailed me upping my scholly offer.

LSAT: 165 (highest I believe I would have gotten based on PTs)
GPA: <3.4
Emory offered ~$31,000 per year
GW offered ~$30,000 per year
=About $20,000 in loans in each year for either school
Goals: Corporate Law in NY eventually (I would be happy to work in either Atlanta or DC for a few years). Emory's Transactional Law Program has been a big pull for me.

Additional info: Loans to cover additional tuition. Parents covering additional expenses. Family is from Atlanta but will not be living at home if I go to Emory. Longtime SO will be working in NY but we've discussed long distance and are happy to do it if it would further both of our careers. However, we would both like to end up in NY eventually since he's very close to family there.

Thanks in advance!!

BigZuck

Re: GW vs Emory

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:13 pm

I don't think I'd do either, even with the parental support. These schools just don't match your career/geographic aspirations. I would focus on a June LSAT retake, luckily you're just a few points away from getting into Cornell which would be perfect for you.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Agree with the above post.

However, if you're determined to attend one or the other this Fall, then consider letting the two schools know of your indecisiveness & ask for more money. Or give both schools a specific scholarship number (e.g., $36,000) at which you would commit.

In short, retake or renegotiate.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:16 pm

I would not attend either. Even with the COA being subsidized by your parents, I don't think either is very good for what you want. I would retake for a school that actually places a large number of students into NYC (e.g. Cornell). If fordham gives you a big scholarship and you can live with your SO for free, then that would seem to be a far superior option, too.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:21 pm

BigZuck wrote:I don't think I'd do either, even with the parental support. These schools just don't match your career/geographic aspirations. I would focus on a June LSAT retake, luckily you're just a few points away from getting into Cornell which would be perfect for you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”