GW or OSU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
agalfano

GW or OSU

Postby agalfano » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:52 pm

My main two choices are between Ohio State and George Washington. I do not have a preference on where I work after I graduate but I could see myself heading back to Ohio (where I'm currently at). I want to work in corporate or tax law since my undergraduate degree is in accounting and I like working in that scenery.

Ohio State has offered me 15K/yr where tuition is 28k and other living expenses are about 10k

George Washington offered me 20k/yr where tuition is 54k and other living expenses are about 22k

I understand GW is the better school with a lot more opportunities being in DC. I just wanted some input if I should take the cheaper regional school over the more expense, higher ranked school.

Thanks!

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: GW or OSU

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:54 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:55 pm

need the info above but OSU is head and shoulders a better option based on what you've provided

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:04 pm

If I understand correctly, your total COA would be approximately $69,000 for Ohio State ( the state in which you would like to practice law) & $168,000 at GWU.

With an accounting background & a tax law specialization, your after law school job search can be easily focused. Hopefully you'll also earn a CPA designation.

In my opinion, Ohio State is the better option unless you want to do tax policy work in DC., in which case you need more money from GW & need to aggressively pursue internship/externship opportunities in tax law.

OR You can get the best of both worlds. JD at Ohio State & use the savings to get an LLM in Taxation at Georgetown.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:20 pm

OP, is retaking possible for you?

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:OP, is retaking possible for you?

agalfano

Postby agalfano » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:05 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

-The only two schools I'm really considering are Ohio State and GW
-The Total COA for Ohio State would be around 70k and for GW it would be 230k
-I will be financing COA solely by student loans
-I am from Ohio and I am open to any place to live, but I'd say I'd be more apt to stay in Ohio, preferable the Cleveland area
-I would like to work at a Big Firm as a corporate or Tax Attorney
-GPA 4.0 and Taken LSAT 3 times, highest being 161

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:07 pm

GW at a COA of $230,000 is not a reasonable option.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:38 pm

GW > 130K is not a reasonable option. GW > 230K is utterly indefensible and borderline suicidal.

You shouldn't be wasting that 4.0 on a 161. But if you're gonna go for the love of Allah do OSU.

mu13ski

Postby mu13ski » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:01 pm

agalfano wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

-I am from Ohio and I am open to any place to live, but I'd say I'd be more apt to stay in Ohio, preferable the Cleveland area

What did you do to prep those 3 times? With that killer GPA, you could open up a lot of doors by really focusing on bumping up that LSAT

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Both schools are bad options for biglaw, even with an accounting background or whatever

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:07 pm

agalfano wrote:

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

Just a quick peek at the COA calculator makes me think that you'll be paying a bit more than you realize for OSU. It's $28.5K this year. So, 3 years with increases is probably closer to $31-$32K average. And $10K covers everything? Rent, food, transportation, health insurance, incidentals, the occasional beer...everything? For $850/month? That's pretty damn good if so. Or was that just rent?

I think you might be looking at $100-110K at repayment (factor in that pesky interest). Not that it changes things between these 2 schools by any stretch.

Did you take the LSAT all 3 times very recently? If yes, do you promise? :) As someone who applied to law school 10+ years after graduating college with my embarrassingly low GPA (closer to 2.5 than 3.0), I would've dreamed of doing my idiot years over...at least academically. Alas, I could've started law school at 60 and they'd still hold me to my 17-to-21-year-old self.

If you've been around here long enough and are just saying 3 times to get people off your back, it'll work and you'll get OSU for an answer (if you must attend). But if 3 is really 2 and you're just "completely done" with that test forever and don't want to deal with folks like me, give it some more consideration. You're at that number where even 3-4 points changes the game and 6-7 really changes it.

Good luck either way! (And if you've taken it 3 times recently, then disregard my light ribbing)

agalfano

Postby agalfano » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:14 pm

I really have taken it three times, but I appreciate the concern! lol

When taking the test I followed the typical strategies on here (Manhattan, Cambridge Packets, Blind Review) and I just didn't really live up to my potential (PTing around 165).

When it comes to my COA for Ohio State I'm only factoring in Tuition, books, and rent (my savings account + parents are going to help with incidental costs)

When it comes down to everything I'm just looking for that happy medium of "going to the best possible school at the best possible price."

I understand GW is a better school, but I also understand that an extra 120k in extra debt is a lot to take on. Thanks to everyone for the input, with deposit deadlines here it's good to get all of your opinions!

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:20 pm

agalfano wrote:I really have taken it three times, but I appreciate the concern! lol

When taking the test I followed the typical strategies on here (Manhattan, Cambridge Packets, Blind Review) and I just didn't really live up to my potential (PTing around 165).

When it comes to my COA for Ohio State I'm only factoring in Tuition, books, and rent (my savings account + parents are going to help with incidental costs)

When it comes down to everything I'm just looking for that happy medium of "going to the best possible school at the best possible price."

I understand GW is a better school, but I also understand that an extra 120k in extra debt is a lot to take on. Thanks to everyone for the input, with deposit deadlines here it's good to get all of your opinions!

Did you try to negotiate with OSU? Since you live there, they don't have the "here's in-state tuition" card to play. You're still above their LSAT median (1 point off their 75th) and have a stellar GPA.

I'm not well-versed on how stingy they are, but a very serious "I really want to be a Buckeye, but..." almost-but-not-quite withdrawal letter might just get them to nudge you a little higher than $15k/year. Fight for that dough!

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:23 pm

GW is not a "better" school for you goals -- period. It is a better school if you want to be in DC. Get USNWR out of your head. Ohio State is probably worth a bit more money than GW for someone who prefers to be in Ohio long-term.

agalfano

Postby agalfano » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:24 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
agalfano wrote:I really have taken it three times, but I appreciate the concern! lol

Did you try to negotiate with OSU? Since you live there, they don't have the "here's in-state tuition" card to play. You're still above their LSAT median (1 point off their 75th) and have a stellar GPA.

I'm not well-versed on how stingy they are, but a very serious "I really want to be a Buckeye, but..." almost-but-not-quite withdrawal letter might just get them to nudge you a little higher than $15k/year. Fight for that dough!

That is exactly where I'm at in the process lol. I recently sent them an email saying I would love to be a buckeye but I also have other great offers and viable options. I'm hoping they take notice and bump it up to about 20k per year, but who knows that this point I hear they tend to be awfully stingy.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:34 pm

agalfano wrote:That is exactly where I'm at in the process lol. I recently sent them an email saying I would love to be a buckeye but I also have other great offers and viable options. I'm hoping they take notice and bump it up to about 20k per year, but who knows that this point I hear they tend to be awfully stingy.

Ok, good. Hopefully, it was very "I'm about to walk away" in tone. I had regional schools bump me a bunch after I withdrew. Obviously, don't withdraw, but hopefully you didn't give off the impression that you're secretly coming anyway.

Also, what Traynor said above is absolutely true. GW is simply not a better school for your situation. Hell, just on job numbers for 2014, OSU was 19.5% BL + FC and 71.9% FTLTBR (w/o law school funded jobs). GW's numbers were 32.4%/65.4% for the same. Not exactly six-figure worthy difference there.

GW to Ohio would make as little sense as OSU to Nevada, though perhaps some would argue a touch more lay prestige in GW. Ignore those who would make that argument.

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:49 pm

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

God bless you, you're doing God's work

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:56 pm

Neither of these are good options, so you should really take a couple years to work and get another crack at the LSAT. If you won't do that, then go to O after trying to get more cash. Still not a great outcome w ur gpa. I'd seriously consider whether getting a law degree is even worth it considering you can ostensibly make decent income as an accountant. Three years of lost income isn't worth it unless you come out of school making biglaw money, which it's unlikely you'll do from either school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”