Living at home during law school Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Re: Living at home during law school

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:17 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:
ALawStudent wrote:How hard is it to live at home and commute from school? It would be a train ride away (like 30 min maybe).

And what would you say is the cost benefit analysis of living near school for like 60K over three years vs. at home?
LOL at 30 minute commute. That's less than the average New Yorker commutes to go to work on a daily basis where they have to work longer hours than school.

LIVE AT HOME. I would have done it if I had the option. I would still live at home now while working, if I had the option. MONEY >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ALL.

And if my mother wants to cook, clean, do laundry for me, why the fuck not? I only see benefits. Living on your own is overrated assuming you don't have psycho parents. I moved out at 17 but goddamn life was easy living at home.
This is true. I live with my parents here in Queens, OP, and I do not regret it.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:18 pm

the only reason living at home would suck here is w/r/t getting laid

that some pretty expensive ass

stay home

ALawStudent

New

Post by ALawStudent » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:19 pm

What about vs. Cornell?

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:21 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:the only reason living at home would suck here is w/r/t getting laid

that some pretty expensive ass

stay home
Lol, I get laid fine.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:28 pm

i don't live with my parents, but i do commute from an outer borough

i know some people dislike commuting. but i don't mind it at all
i study or read the news on my commute. stuff i'd be doing anyways. i have good noise cancelling headphones, that helps
in exchange for doing that stuff on a train instead of at my desk at home, i pay half of what my classmates pay in rent, and have much more space

for me, it's an easy trade-off
but to each their own

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Post by BiglawAssociate » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:46 pm

^Commuting sucks when you work long hours in biglaw (commuting on top of 12 to 16 hour days is super annoying). BUT law school is goddamn easy and requires little to no effort in comparison, so commute for as long as you'd like in law school. I did little work in law school and graduated with honors; as in, I didn't do anything until the last month before finals (didn't even read since that's for the most part a huge waste of time). Biglaw on the other hand should be illegal with the amount of work it requires.

I think OP's 30 minute commute is way below average though for NYC and probably below average for many biglawyers, so it's an easy decision - get MOM to cook/clean/do laundry and live at home.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:15 am

I went to CLS. Obviously you need to shoot for a biglaw job during the summers- no time to RA on that but it's much more than 3K. There's plenty of opportunities for PT work during the year, however, if you are willing to look for it. I wouldn't chance it 1L year but 2L and 3L year the curve goes way up and the level of competition goes way down because most people stop caring. You can use the extra time to get a PT job.

I also vote live at home- 60K is quite a lot of debt.

ALawStudent

New

Post by ALawStudent » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:12 am

timbs4339 wrote:I went to CLS. Obviously you need to shoot for a biglaw job during the summers- no time to RA on that but it's much more than 3K. There's plenty of opportunities for PT work during the year, however, if you are willing to look for it. I wouldn't chance it 1L year but 2L and 3L year the curve goes way up and the level of competition goes way down because most people stop caring. You can use the extra time to get a PT job.

I also vote live at home- 60K is quite a lot of debt.
What about vs. Cornell?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:28 am

If you just want NY big law Cornell could be worth the savings, but if you have more lofty goals (or even for big law really) Columbia is perfectly justified with the CoL savings.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”