what's the deal with NYU's Tax program (JD)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dabigchina

what's the deal with NYU's Tax program (JD)

Postby dabigchina » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:51 pm

I am currently trying to decide where to go to school. I am interested in practicing tax law because I have significant experience in the field and what I have seen of it is interesting.

I took a look at some firm bios for tax lawyers at Davis Polk, Skadden, Baker and Mckenzie, Mcdermott, and WSGR. I looked at partners only because I didn't want to sift through a billion bios.

Out of all the partners I saw, only 1 went to NYU for their JD. There were were a few Columbia Alums (not really known for their tax program) and quite a few GULC alums (not going to go there because of bad employment). I will say that there were quite a few NYU LLMs.

So what's the deal? I thought NYU was supposed to be #1 in tax, but judging by my informal survey, it looks like NYU is lagging its main competition.

butlerraider1

Re: what's the deal with NYU's Tax program (JD)

Postby butlerraider1 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:02 pm

I could be wrong, but I think when people say that NYU is #1 in tax, they are referring to LLM programs.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:07 pm

So I guess what I'm seeing is purely a result of Columbia's ability to place into biglaw?

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:11 pm

yeah of course can columbia can place well into biglaw. the #1 tax ranking or whatever comes from NYU's llm program, but those classes are available to JDs. if you have a tax background, you'll be fine from either NYU or Columbia. Neither is going to make a difference. You're really splitting hairs.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:14 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:yeah of course can columbia can place well into biglaw. the #1 tax ranking or whatever comes from NYU's llm program, but those classes are available to JDs. if you have a tax background, you'll be fine from either NYU or Columbia. Neither is going to make a difference. You're really splitting hairs.

Taking high level courses with a bunch of gunners LLMs trying to crack biglaw and experienced practitioners seems like a bad idea though.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:19 pm

What are your law school options ?

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:22 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:What are your law school options ?

NYU with 10k a year, Columbia at sticker. Parents are paying so I'm going purely off career prospects.

Also, parents are pushing hard for Columbia because of lay prestige. If tax ranking does not really matter for JD (which it doesn't seem to), I'm probably leaning towards Columbia.

Postby 2014 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:30 pm

dabigchina wrote:

NYU with 10k a year, Columbia at sticker. Parents are paying so I'm going purely off career prospects.

Also, parents are pushing hard for Columbia because of lay prestige. If tax ranking does not really matter for JD (which it doesn't seem to), I'm probably leaning towards Columbia.

OCI is done post 1L which is too early to have taken any tax, none of the firms care. Once you get there for your 2L summer it's about working your way into the groups through the summer program since many/most do tax specific offers. You will want to take Income, Corporate, and Partnership Tax but Columbia will offer all of those.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Great combination of Columbia JD & NYU LLM.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:37 pm

2014 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

OCI is done post 1L which is too early to have taken any tax, none of the firms care. Once you get there for your 2L summer it's about working your way into the groups through the summer program since many/most do tax specific offers. You will want to take Income, Corporate, and Partnership Tax but Columbia will offer all of those.

Yeah this is what I'm leaning towards.

CanadianWolf wrote:Great combination of Columbia JD & NYU LLM.

I'm already kind of old so I don't want to take another year off if I don't have to.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:43 pm

Most LLM programs offer a part-time option.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:27 am

Go to CLS or NYU and then bid on firms with larger than avg tax practices. If you're lucky and get top 20% grades you'll have your pick of elite firms with only some exceptions. Not sure why you'd even need the LLM, its really for marginal biglaw candidates who are looking for an extra edge or for practitioners who want to learn more about their field.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”