Smu

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Okie25

Smu

Postby Okie25 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:15 pm

163/3.3
120k TCOA - no debt, parents will pay
Ties -oklahoma
Want to work in Dallas or come back to OK
Is it worth it?

Traynor Brah

Re: Smu

Postby Traynor Brah » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:19 pm

sounds fine

must be nice to have rich parents

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:34 pm

God. So many SMU posts recently. Given projected expected income out of SMU, 120k is not worth it at all. But, since your parents are paying full freight and they really have no problem with the finances, go for it. The bigger problem is your lack of ties in Dallas. If you are from Oklahoma and want to work there, go to OU; in-state is 20k a year and you will most likely get close to a full scholly with your high LSAT. SMU will not open up doors for you in OK and will do very little if you don't have decent ties in Dallas.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:15 pm

BasilHallward wrote:God. So many SMU posts recently. Given projected expected income out of SMU, 120k is not worth it at all. But, since your parents are paying full freight and they really have no problem with the finances, go for it. The bigger problem is your lack of ties in Dallas. If you are from Oklahoma and want to work there, go to OU; in-state is 20k a year and you will most likely get close to a full scholly with your high LSAT. SMU will not open up doors for you in OK and will do very little if you don't have decent ties in Dallas.

Stop. Seriously. You don't necessarily need ties in Dallas to get a job. This isn't UH or Tech or a lesser school. It specializes in freakin placing in Dallas. Do your research. I know you're really butthurt they didn't offer you much, but if he wants to work in Dallas and he can go to SMU for no debt, there are no better options for him assuming he can't get into UT.

Quit giving terrible advice to people and trolling SMU threads. If you were right, I'd be okay with it. But you aren't and you don't even back it up with data that I just found clicking on the 1st link I found on google.

yes, OP. IF you want to work in OK, OU is a great choice. If you want to work in Dallas, and SMU leaves you with no debt, that's fantastic. Congrats. I envy your parents. Work your ass off and make them proud, cuz there are 30% of kids who go that don't end up with a legal job.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:18 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:God. So many SMU posts recently. Given projected expected income out of SMU, 120k is not worth it at all. But, since your parents are paying full freight and they really have no problem with the finances, go for it. The bigger problem is your lack of ties in Dallas. If you are from Oklahoma and want to work there, go to OU; in-state is 20k a year and you will most likely get close to a full scholly with your high LSAT. SMU will not open up doors for you in OK and will do very little if you don't have decent ties in Dallas.

Stop. Seriously. You don't necessarily need ties in Dallas to get a job. This isn't UH or Tech or a lesser school. It specializes in freakin placing in Dallas. Do your research. I know you're really butthurt they didn't offer you much, but if he wants to work in Dallas and he can go to SMU for no debt, there are no better options for him assuming he can't get into UT.

Quit giving terrible advice to people and trolling SMU threads. If you were right, I'd be okay with it. But you aren't and you don't even back it up with data that I just found clicking on the 1st link I found on google.

yes, OP. IF you want to work in OK, OU is a great choice. If you want to work in Dallas, and SMU leaves you with no debt, that's fantastic. Congrats. I envy your parents. Work your ass off and make them proud, cuz there are 30% of kids who go that don't end up with a legal job.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:20 pm

Op: U and me have almost identical circumstance but I'm from MS. Feel
Free to pm me

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:45 pm

you sound like a moron here dude no offense. Disregard this post, OP. I think 120K is borderline justifiable to debt finance SMU (more than I would personally do or advise, but it's getting close, so long as you want to be in DFW area long-term). OK resident is good enough for ties; that won't really disadvantage you at all in DFW.

You're definitely spending more of your parents money than necessary, but this is not a terribly bad deal investment for them, and I think the expected first year grad outcome might outweigh the benefit of a retake for SMU (of course assuming you don't have interest in going to UT).

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:13 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:

you sound like a moron here dude no offense. Disregard this post, OP. I think 120K is borderline justifiable to debt finance SMU (more than I would personally do or advise, but it's getting close, so long as you want to be in DFW area long-term). OK resident is good enough for ties; that won't really disadvantage you at all in DFW.

You're definitely spending more of your parents money than necessary, but this is not a terribly bad deal investment for them, and I think the expected first year grad outcome might outweigh the benefit of a retake for SMU (of course assuming you don't have interest in going to UT).

Then I suppose you will find droves of morons on TLS that will advise against taking out 120k plus interest to go to SMU. OP asked if it would be worth it. General view on TLS holds that taking out that much money for SMU is not worth it. You and I are both advocating a retake (because we all know a UT grad controls Dallas over a SMU grad) and not potentially having your parents spend all that mullah. I don't understand the disconnect that your myopic brain is experiencing, no offense.

starry eyed wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:

[/i]Again, you are advocating OU, which I suggested and support. OP asked if it would be worth it, so obviously there is concern to the cost-benefit equation. I never said it was necessary to have ties, it just helps. Yes, OP could do fantastic and land a gig at Haynes Boone (roughly 10% shot a BIGLAW from SMU), but expectations for a median grad is not 120k during first year of employment and this is the quasi-golden rule of law school debt-benefit analysis: COA=1st median income expectations. I guess we need to ask OP what he/she means by is it worth it? If, by worth, he/she means just the opportunity cost of attending, then, hell yes, attend. Enjoy Dallas. It is a cool city. But, if there is some concern with straddling parents with these costs, then retake and consider UT or SMU with more scholarship, which most here will strongly back as non-terrible advice.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:27 pm

BasilHallward wrote:Then I suppose you will find droves of morons on TLS that will advise against taking out 120k plus interest to go to SMU. OP asked if it would be worth it. General view on TLS holds that taking out that much money for SMU is not worth it. You and I are both advocating a retake (because we all know a UT grad controls Dallas over a SMU grad) and not potentially having your parents spend all that mullah. I don't understand the disconnect that your myopic brain is experiencing, no offense.

Oh a "UT grad controls over a SMU grad" now I get it

the COA figures people post on here are supposed to include interest. I said 120 debt at repayment is a bit more than I would advise but it is bordering on justifiable depending on the individual's circumstances. this individual fits the circumstances that I would tend to say make a high debt load worth it.

and for real dude, you said that a 120K price tag is less of a concern than a generic Oklahoman's lack of ties to DFW. stop giving advice please.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:38 pm

I don't really think SMU is "worth" 120K because I don't think what that 120K buys you on average is commensurate with the cost. But it's your parents money so who cares? If you want to be a lawyer in Dallas that's probably the best school you can attend if you don't have pre-existing ties.

I'm also not super jazzed on non-Dallassians attending SMU but if you're from OK and know you want to work in Dallas again, I think that's probably the smartest choice you can make.

Go for it.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:40 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:Then I suppose you will find droves of morons on TLS that will advise against taking out 120k plus interest to go to SMU. OP asked if it would be worth it. General view on TLS holds that taking out that much money for SMU is not worth it. You and I are both advocating a retake (because we all know a UT grad controls Dallas over a SMU grad) and not potentially having your parents spend all that mullah. I don't understand the disconnect that your myopic brain is experiencing, no offense.

Oh a "UT grad controls over a SMU grad" now I get it

the COA figures people post on here are supposed to include interest. I said 120 debt at repayment is a bit more than I would advise but it is bordering on justifiable depending on the individual's circumstances. this individual fits the circumstances that I would tend to say make a high debt load worth it.

and for real dude, you said that a 120K price tag is less of a concern than a generic Oklahoman's lack of ties to DFW. stop giving advice please.

Dude. You suck at reading in context. The sentence before I mentioned the "bigger concern being contacts," I addressed the debt burden and put it hypothetically aside.

They are both a concern, but OP needs to be more detailed with the worth question. This is all verbose, unless we have more info from OP. A lot of non-wealthy parents will take out debt or take a big hit to savings for perceived sense of prestige associated with law school.

OP: Is this money that your parents are willing to drop a concern (is it worth it?) for you, or are they in a position where you will be free from worries? Simple question. Your question of "is it worth it?" is vague. If the money is of absolutely no concern, then yes, it seems entirely worth it.

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Okie25 wrote:163/3.3
120k TCOA - no debt, parents will pay
Ties -oklahoma
Want to work in Dallas or come back to OK
Is it worth it?

So many people who post about SMU are either:

A. Not from Dallas.
B. Never grew up in Dallas just moved here for work or school.
C. Attended Dedman and somehow believe they know Dallas....they do not.

Texas and Oklahoma in and of themselves have a strong natural tie. Anyone from Dallas, Houston, Lubbock, Austin...etc knows this. Your potential recruiters and hiring managers (who more than likely will either be from a major Texas city or grew up in some BFE Texas city) will also know this.

Case in point...being from Oklahoma will never be a hindrance; it is an asset. Texas is inherently xenophobic of people who are not from here.

Also, Oklahoma receives an Oklahoma residency discount at some Texas schools, like UTD.

Okie25

Postby Okie25 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied. Sorry I got busy so I couldn't reply. My main concern is that my parents will be spending $120k and there's still a 30% chance I end up without an actual legal job. Yes my family can afford it, but we can't afford to throw it away. Will not being from dallas hurt my chances of getting a job there? Would going to SMU increase my chances of getting a job in OK? Thanks for the advise

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Tue May 05, 2015 10:54 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed May 27, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 05, 2015 10:56 pm

Okie25 wrote:Thanks to everyone who replied. Sorry I got busy so I couldn't reply. My main concern is that my parents will be spending $120k and there's still a 30% chance I end up without an actual legal job. Yes my family can afford it, but we can't afford to throw it away. Will not being from dallas hurt my chances of getting a job there? Would going to SMU increase my chances of getting a job in OK? Thanks for the advise

I think you'll be at a disadvantage compared to a born and bred Dallasian. Probably not insurmountable though.

Increase chances relative to what?

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Tue May 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”