GW vs. GMU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
johnbking

New

GW vs. GMU

Post by johnbking » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:29 am

Hey, my names John. My friend told me to put this out here on TLS. For the first time, I applied to late to law school. My stats are 147 LSAT first try and then 157 second try. I have a 3.77 GPA from George Mason University Undergrad. My friend who also attended George Mason Undergrad is telling me I should seriously consider a retake or deciding on George Washington vs. more money at George Mason. I wanted to see your guys opinion on the options I have to consider. I have one retake left; however, as someone who is graduating in two weeks, I want more security than a retake and what that could "potentially" mean for me. Please help me in making my decision. I have 20k in scholarship from Mason and I'd be paying sticker at GW. Unfortunately, I'm not coming from much money so I am forced to weigh the financial implications of attendance. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Poldy

Silver

Re: GW vs. GMU

Post by Poldy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:35 am

johnbking wrote:Hey, my names John. My friend told me to put this out here on TLS. For the first time, I applied to late to law school. My stats are 147 LSAT first try and then 157 second try. I have a 3.77 GPA from George Mason University Undergrad. My friend who also attended George Mason Undergrad is telling me I should seriously consider a retake or deciding on George Washington vs. more money at George Mason. I wanted to see your guys opinion on the options I have to consider. I have one retake left; however, as someone who is graduating in two weeks, I want more security than a retake and what that could "potentially" mean for me. Please help me in making my decision. I have 20k in scholarship from Mason and I'd be paying sticker at GW. Unfortunately, I'm not coming from much money so I am forced to weigh the financial implications of attendance. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Every single person is going to tell you to sit out a cycle and retake the LSAT. Put some time into it and score at least in the mid 160s.

ThisTown23

New

Post by ThisTown23 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:05 am

After the oblatory retake option I would take GW I am currently an L0 at duke get as close to t14 as you can bro

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:31 am

ThisTown23 wrote:I am currently an L0 at duke get as close to t14 as you can bro

@OP: George Mason's in-state cost is 25k/year, so you're facing 15k tuition total. If you can get COL covered, it's not a completely miserable option, as 15k debt is very manageable. Although, George Mason has less than 50% of its grads in long term, full time JD-required jobs within 9 months of graduation. 10% biglaw. Your odds of getting a legal job that will make you happy and be a positive return on 3 years of investment are not very favorable. Up to you if you want to take that risk, but be informed.

GW at sticker is terrible, because even if you get biglaw (and again, it's not guaranteed), you're 250k in debt. Biglaw + 250k debt = miserable life. And that's the best possible outcome from GW at sticker: a miserable life.

If you understand making a lot of money is a very unlikely outcome, but still want to go to law school and become a lawyer, I'd say George Mason. Of course, retaking is the best option. Get 165+ and you're looking at very high tuition discounts from reigonals and a few sticker T14 options if you have a strong app.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:01 am

This might not be immediately obvious to you as an UG but "retake" goes hand in hand with "get a job". It's trivially easy to get a job in the DC/Nova area as a paralegal for a year just to cover living expenses and spending a couple hours a week from now until October to drill the LSAT. It's certainly more "security" than to chance it out of Mason - where you'll almost definitely end up working shitlaw in the 'burbs, or GW where you'll be drowning in debt and killing yourself for the 25% chance of getting biglaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Effingham

Bronze

Post by Effingham » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:55 am

Go out and get a job as a paralegal if you can OP - literally the most common complaint I hear from people at my school is they wish they had taken some time between undergrad and law school to do some meaningful work, build a resume. Employers prefer substantive work experience so you get a boost at OCI, it gives you time to figure out your priorities and adjust to the rigor of what a 9-5 entails, and it opens up the possibility of a retake that will literally change your life.

Think of it in economic terms - if you retake and score just five points higher, which seems pretty manageable considering you already moved up ten points on your last retake, according to MyLSN, your scholarship will likely increase at GW from 0 to 30K a year.

Paralegal base salary ~40k + 30Kx3 for each year's scholarship.
Across the three years of law school you just came out roughly $130,000 ahead of where you would have otherwise, even more factoring in the significant decrease in interest on your loans - and you now have better job prospects because of your work experience.

Your future self will thank you for this decision, I guarantee it.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Retake.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:45 pm

Retake for the other G/G

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!