June retake worth it in my case?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sneezus

June retake worth it in my case?

Postby sneezus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:38 pm

Just deposited at Michigan (95-100k COA), chosen over UVA and Columbia. I'm kicking around the possibility of a June retake.

3.6x/172 (taken once).

My thought is that an increase might get that COA down to cost of living only, and that it could get me off the UChi wait list (was top choice for personal/SO reasons) with some semblance of $. I regularly PTed in the 176-180 range, but that was a year ago (took Dec 2013). However I work full-time and while I don't think it would take a ton to get me back to that level, I'm not exactly running a surplus on time/energy to sink into this. Basically i'm trying to find a reason not to do this because i don't really want to, but i know theres a chance it could pay off.

1) is a 2-4 point increase (big assumption obviously) worth it, or can I likely not expect much more from Michigan given my GPA?
2) if i were to get off that UChi wait list, would it even matter? would they be likely to toss me enough money to justify attending over Michigan?

also i'm not super down to reapply next cycle, though i realize i would have to pretend like i was in order to squeeze something more out of Mich. thanks for any thoughts.

LawsRUs

Re: June retake worth it in my case?

Postby LawsRUs » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:22 pm

@sneezus, I don't see how it can hurt. Purely anecdotal, but I did MUCH better when I took time off from studying for the LSAT and got back again after four months.

I say go for it!

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:27 pm

go for it. But I doubt UC would give you enough money so late to make it justifiable over UM, and I doubt UM will give much more money, period, with that GPA.

That's a very nice COA at UMich. If Chicago is preferred for SO reasons, why is Northwestern not an option?

sneezus

Postby sneezus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:33 pm

NU was an option but they put my app on "Hold" and i havent heard a peep so who the hell knows

Return to “Choosing a Law School”