HELP! Tulane vs UGA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mdl

HELP! Tulane vs UGA

Postby mdl » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:07 pm

Thanks that's all the suggestions I need!
Last edited by mdl on Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: HELP! Tulane vs UGA

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:08 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:23 pm

Neither of these schools seem good for your goals. Did you apply anywhere in Texas?

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:23 pm

If you want to be a prosecutor in TX, I don't think you should go to either of these schools, as they are both regionals that don't place well in TX. Tulane sends ~10% of its class there, but also only about half its grads get jobs at all. You'd be better off going to a school in the state in which you want to practice.

E: Scooped by BB Gunzz!

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:27 pm

If you want to be a prosecutor in Texas you should probably go to UT. If you can't get enough scholarship money for UT to make financial sense then you should look at other schools in Texas. You can't do internships with prosecuting offices in Texas if you're living in GA or LA. You can't join bar committees. You can't network with alumni.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:29 pm

mdl wrote:My LSAT/GPA etc all the rest isn't really relevant as I'll definitely be attending one of these two schools in the fall and will not be retaking.

Even still, retaking is going to be TCR.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:33 pm

mdl wrote:My LSAT/GPA etc all the rest isn't really relevant as I'll definitely be attending one of these two schools in the fall and will not be retaking.

Then be prepared to not work in Texas. Neither school is good for your goals.

Forget the rankings; they are irrelevant to regional schools like Tulane and UGA. If you want to work in NOLA, and the cost of attendance is not more than say 40ishk, go to Tulane. If you want to work in Georgia and can go for about that same cost, choose that.

If you want to work in Texas as a lawyer, retake and reapply.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:35 pm

deadpanic wrote:

Then be prepared to not work in Texas. Neither school is good for your goals.

Forget the rankings; they are irrelevant to regional schools like Tulane and UGA. If you want to work in NOLA, and the cost of attendance is not more than say 40ishk, go to Tulane. If you want to work in Georgia and can go for about that same cost, choose that.

If you want to work in Texas as a lawyer, retake and reapply.

100% this.

mdl

Postby mdl » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:46 pm

Thank you for your input!

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:51 pm

mdl wrote:Thank you for your input!

Has it helped? Which way are you leaning?

mdl

Postby mdl » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:56 pm

I am not so sure! I have ties to legal markets in Texas so I think I will be able to get a job somewhere in the state after graduation (perhaps I'm too optimistic).
If anyone knows someone at either school I would love to hear from them! Really just interested in the culture/atmosphere at each place.

JahRakal

Postby JahRakal » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Tulane

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:05 pm

mdl wrote:I am not so sure! I have ties to legal markets in Texas so I think I will be able to get a job somewhere in the state after graduation (perhaps I'm too optimistic).
If anyone knows someone at either school I would love to hear from them! Really just interested in the culture/atmosphere at each place

There are 40,000 people graduating from law school each year. All of them think they will have jobs lined up too. Statistics tell us otherwise. It doesn't seem like you want to live in Georgia. Would you be okay working for the duration of your career in Louisiana? If so, MAYBE, Tulane would be okay for your goals, but it really depends on cost. If not, then you need to apply to schools in Texas.

swampman

Postby swampman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:13 pm

mdl wrote:I am not so sure! I have ties to legal markets in Texas so I think I will be able to get a job somewhere in the state after graduation (perhaps I'm too optimistic).
If anyone knows someone at either school I would love to hear from them! Really just interested in the culture/atmosphere at each place.

Just a heads up: Make sure you spend both your summers at the Texas DA's office that you want to end up at, and work during the semesters at the local DAs office. If you do that, you'll have a shot at getting back to a Texas office. If you don't, your odds are not good regardless of your ties. Remember: There are tons of local-school students who will be working year-round at those offices who you will be competing with, and prosecutors love to hire people who they know.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:16 pm

Neither. Don't be stubborn. Go to school in Texas.

mdl

Postby mdl » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:20 pm

swampman wrote:

Just a heads up: Make sure you spend both your summers at the Texas DA's office that you want to end up at, and work during the semesters at the local DAs office. If you do that, you'll have a shot at getting back to a Texas office. If you don't, your odds are not good regardless of your ties. Remember: There are tons of local-school students who will be working year-round at those offices who you will be competing with, and prosecutors love to hire people who they know.

Yes I do plan on spending both summers in Texas. Again, thanks for the input y'all!

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:23 pm

cron1834 wrote:Neither. Don't be stubborn. Go to school in Texas.

this

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:37 pm

OP seems pretty determined he/she is going to beat the odds.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:55 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:OP seems pretty determined he/she is going to beat the odds.

Hey, if Bortles can land a starting job in the NFL, OP can land in Texas from an out-of-state TTT.

In all seriousness, OP, I really hope you reconsider, but best of luck to you if you take Tulane (jfc don't take Georgia. Okay, I'm done.)

adil91

Postby adil91 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:32 pm

Did you apply to SMU? Going to UGA or Tulane will not get you a prosecutor job in Texas even if you have ties, during the interview for the position what are you going to say when they ask you why did you not go to a school in Texas?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:50 pm

Why would you go to school at some rando not-Texas regional school if you want to work in Texas?

This is like walking up to the starting line, pulling out a gun, and shooting yourself in the foot right before the race starts

What's the logic here?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”