Columbia ($) vs. UCLA ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ray_Alto

Columbia ($) vs. UCLA ($$$)

Postby Ray_Alto » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:33 pm

The subject pretty much explains it. Went to school in LA. Part of me wants to try a new city, though that probably shouldn't be the sole reason for choosing a school.

Columbia - 40k scholarship - COA ~$215k
UCLA - 120k scholarship - COA ~$100k

Will be paying with loans.

My ultimate goal would be to work in public interest or government. Probably back in CA as I have strong ties there, though I wouldn't rule out NY or DC. Not terribly interested in big law, though I understand that many choose that route from Columbia for long-term career reasons + paying off that tremendous debt.

LSAT: 173 (taken twice)
GPA: 3.6
Last edited by Ray_Alto on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston1984

Re: Columbia ($) vs. UCLA ($$$)

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:46 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:47 pm

Winston1984 wrote:In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

I must say I like how you have made it your job to post this every time

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:56 pm

Hand wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:04 pm

UCLA

One thing to keep in mind is that you probably won't do PI unless you have a true THIRST for JUSTICE. Tons of people say they want PI, tons of those people don't do PI. If you end up trying to do big law there might be better options.

Also, not sure you're calculating cost of attendance correctly, Columbia with 40K should put you at least 250K in debt if the rest is debt financed.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:04 pm

Hand wrote:

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

Just my calling.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:03 pm

Columbia is well worth the added $80-100k over UCLA, even for CA. I had a little more money a few years ago from schools like this but a similar spread, and I'm pretty confident in the CLS-type choice.

That being said, another T14 with $90k+ would be optimal, since that's still a lot of debt for cls.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:47 am

UCLA, although best option is:

Just do trust fund kid/fully scholly somewhere --> work for free for a year at PI --> full time offer at PI. And yes to land a PI job you will often have to work for free after graduation before landing a full time offer

Return to “Choosing a Law School”