Columbia (sticker) v. Texas (full ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rpupkin

Re: Columbia (sticker) v. Texas (full ride)

Postby rpupkin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:25 pm

tks51 wrote:Is there such a big difference in national mobility between Texas (#15) and Georgetown (#14) or Cornell (#13)?

Stop focusing on USNWR rankings. Just pretend that UT is ranked #35. Seriously, that will give your some perspective here. What you're talking about is going to a regional school in a region in which you don't really want to work. That's crazy. I'm not saying that GULC or Cornell is the right choice for you given the cost, but I am saying that you should't go to UT--even with a full scholarship--if you don't want to work in Texas.
Last edited by rpupkin on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Columbia. Because you were dumb enough to even create a thread for asking if you should go $230,000 into law-school debt in any circumstance.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:47 pm

rpupkin wrote:
tks51 wrote:Is there such a big difference in national mobility between Texas (#15) and Georgetown (#14) or Cornell (#13)?

Stop focusing on USNWR rankings. Just pretend that UT is ranked #35. Seriously, that will give your some perspective here. What you're talking about is going to a regional school in a region in which you don't really want to work. That's crazy. I'm not saying that GULC or Cornell is the right choice for you given the cost, but I am saying that you should't go to UT--even with a full scholarship--if you don't want to work in Texas.

This is a very fair comment. One caveat I would add is that if you are top 10%, you will have no problems with great NY/DC/CA firms from UT. Once you're outside of this zone then you risk being stuck in TX. Definitely agree though that it's largely a regional school and good job numbers it has are based on it being the top school in a big region. If OP wants one of NY/DC, there's a huge difference between GULC and Cornell.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:02 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:This is a very fair comment. One caveat I would add is that if you are top 10%, you will have no problems with great NY/DC/CA firms from UT.

Agree. There are a lot of routes that the TLS hive frowns upon that will work out if you end up at the top of your class. For example, going to Hastings with only a half-tuition scholarship is not a good idea, but that choice would turn out just fine for someone who ends up in the top 10% of the class. The problem, of course, is that 90% of the students don't end up in the top 10%.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:03 pm

rpupkin wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:This is a very fair comment. One caveat I would add is that if you are top 10%, you will have no problems with great NY/DC/CA firms from UT.

Agree. There are a lot of routes that the TLS hive frowns upon that will work out if you end up at the top of your class. For example, going to Hastings with only a half-tuition scholarship is not a good idea, but that choice would turn out just fine for someone who ends up in the top 10% of the class. The problem, of course, is that 90% of the students don't end up in the top 10%.

Right, no one should chance it unless they're willing to accept working in TX.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:51 pm

OP: What is the total COA for Duke, Cornell, Georgetown, NYU & Berkeley ? Columbia will put you into almost $300,000 of debt--not a reasonable option.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:21 am

What is your highest scholarship at a T13 school?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”