Cornell vs BU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tgs153

New

Cornell vs BU

Post by tgs153 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:28 pm

Now that I've finally finished with all scholly negotiations, etc. I've narrowed down my two options to Cornell or BU.

168 3.8x non-urm.

Cornell (120k scholarship): Total COA 68-70K (after accounting for parental & personal contribution)

BU (120k scholarship): Total COA 30k-35k

Goals: want to clerk (yes I'm well aware this is not a career), and am also interested in litigation/ criminal law. I am not opposed to Big Law, yet its not my #1 priority. I plan on staying somewhere in the northeast (New England + NY) , but I'm not set on one particular state.

I went to Cornell's ASW and was actually totally sold on the opportunities I would have there/ the school itself. Also, the cold weather does not scare me at all ( I grew up with essentially the same weather as Ithaca). As far as employment prospects Cornell seems to blow BU out of the water. However, the cost does concern me. I'm also worried that because I am not as focused on Big Law that this could put me at a disadvantage at Cornell since the majority of the class goes big law.

Although BU initially was not one of my top choices I was pleasantly surprised after visiting/researching further. The professors were great, and the students seemed to maintain some semblance of a social life. As a debt-averse person I also really like the cost. I also liked how alum were employed in many different areas besides big law, but their clerkship numbers are not as high. Also it seems like everyone stays in Boston. While i'm not opposed to it, I would like to keep my options open beyond one city.

I should also note BU is significantly closer to my significant other who is locked into a contract for the next 2 years, and cannot move (Cornell ~ 4.5 hrs away vs BU ~1.5 hours away)

Jakobe

New

Re: Cornell vs BU

Post by Jakobe » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:40 pm

Cornell hands down, besides if you already have to travel to see your SO then whats another 3 hours? Probably worth it for the exponential increase in job security (by the way, there's a good chance you won't clerk from any of these schools, just prepare to line up for the biglaw jobs like everyone else.)

ILoveYou

Silver

Post by ILoveYou » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:45 pm

Cornell. You can absolutely have a decent, non-biglaw outcome out of Cornell. That's quite a bit more debt, but it isn't a crazy amount, and to me it's worth the added security in job prospects and measured increase in portability. Plus, if you do end up shooting for biglaw at least for a few years, your chances will be much better.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Cornell. That cost is a great deal, seriously. Most people take out at least twice that to go to Cornell.

The SO thing is something you have to decide. But sounds like you have to do LDR either way. Not sure how much 3 hours adds.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Cornell- It's a great price and you aren't from Boston

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:41 pm

I had the same choice, but the price differential was much greater, so I went with BU. However, given the spread here, I'd say Cornell is the way to go. That debt load is totally manageable, and your employment prospects justify the marginal increase in cost.

smiles123

Bronze

Post by smiles123 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Without the SO in the equation, Cornell. However, only you can decide if being closer to your SO is important enough for BU to be the winner.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:30 pm

Cornell no question. To quote William Howard Taft, "[Hoes] come and go, but the Supreme Court goes on forever."

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Cornell is the much better option. Have the S/O join you for 3L year and you can both enjoy great employment in NYC (well, you can, I don't know anything about SO).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”