Fordham (PT and $) vs Cardozo (FT and $$$) and NOT BIGLAW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bwb18

Fordham (PT and $) vs Cardozo (FT and $$$) and NOT BIGLAW

Postby bwb18 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:48 am

I'm interested in getting feedback for choosing between Fordham's part time program and Cardozo's full time program given my situation. I know the question between the two schools has been beaten to death on the TLS forums, but I feel like my situation is somewhat unique.

My background is a BS and MS in EE from a top 10 engineering school, with a 3.65 UGPA and 3.0 graduate GPA. My LSAT was a 159 (I know I underperformed). I got my MS EE working part time while working full time at a University Affiliated Research Institution as a Research Engineer. I was there approximately 2 years.

I now work as a Patent Examiner at the USPTO, and have 3 years of experience there.

If I continue working full-time, I can potentially get my tuition reimbursed my the USPTO. The funding appears to be there for my first year. The 2nd-4th years are a gamble, but still possible. If funding goes away, I'd have to take on loans. Alternatively, Cardozo has offered me pretty much a full scholarship, with stipulations of being in the top 80%. If I went this route, I'd still work part time with the PTO (maybe 8-16 hours a week) to help offset the cost of living in NYC. I also have a significant other who is working and would be taking on more of the financial burden in that regard.

My goals are NOT BigLaw. I would either want to stay at the USPTO, explore other options with the federal government, or maybe go in house as IP counsel. Staying at the USPTO seems the most likely due to the ability to be able to move frequently, as I can telework full time and my SO's job could potentially move him around all over the US.

I do not have ties to the NYC area - my SO and I plan to leave when I'm done with law school. We'd prefer living somewhere on the West Coast, or possible around the DC area.

Given my circumstances, I'm interested to see what people think with regards to Fordham vs Cardozo. Thanks in advance!

Winston1984

Re: Fordham (PT and $) vs Cardozo (FT and $$$) and NOT BIGLAW

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:07 am

I imagine it's going to be really difficult to get to the west coast/DC from either of these schools. Why go to NYC to go to a regional school in a region you don't want to be in?

You should retake the LSAT. Especially since you admitted that you underperformed.

bwb18

Postby bwb18 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:08 pm

My SO's job placed him here, and we'll be here for 3 years minimum. I'm in my late 20s and don't want to wait any longer to go to law school. Plus, with schools like Columbia or NYU, I know I wouldn't get scholarships, if any, and if I wait longer the risk of tuition reimbursement increases.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:23 pm

I'd probably just go with Cardozo here--IF you are confident you have a job waiting for you at the USPTO regardless of where you to go school.

If not, then I'd do Fordham or, frankly, retake.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:32 pm

If you have a guaranteed job that you're going to take I can imagine it matters where you go to school, just go somewhere for cheap

If you need to rely on the school's ability to place you into a job I would probably avoid Cardozo

If I read it right Fordham is at sticker if the funding goes away? If so that's out IMO.

bwb18

Postby bwb18 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, I would have a guaranteed job upon completing law school.

Fordham would be sticker if funding goes away, but the funding is definitely there for my first year.

I'd like to avoid retaking the LSAT and reapplying next year at all costs.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”