Fordham discount or SJU Full??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go??

Fordham: $85k total after 4 years
80%
SJU/NYLS: $40k after 3 - 3.5 years
20%

Total votes: 10

PeanutsNJam

Re: Fordham discount or SJU Full??

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:47 pm

LST synthesizes any NALP reports that are disclosed.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... sals/2013/

Of the grads that are employed and report their salary (65%), median income is 130k, average 114k.

If OP wants 100k+, she'll probably have to be in the top 30% in terms of employment desirability, which is probably a function of grades, work experience, and charm/charisma.

A cursory google search revealed that PT students don't necessarily have access to OCI and externships, and if you're working full time you can't do summer clerkships/associate work. I can't say for sure but I'm assuming being PT at the very least somewhat limits your employment prospects.

mela36

Postby mela36 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:51 pm

BigZuck wrote:
mela36 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Also how well do Fordham PT students do at OCI compared to their full time brethren?

I wish I knew - their employment stats don't separate PT from FT students.

I think this is a good question to get the answer to before enrolling

Are you 100% positive you're doing what's best to get yourself where you ultimately want to go?

As opposed to working backwards and starting at "I will go to law school next year, it will be in NYC, and I will get a good job" and then trying to fit a square peg into a round hole?

Maybe law school next year and/or these schools aren't the ticket. Why can't that be a consideration?

No me gusta. :D

Just looking at the statistics for NYU and Columbia, most everyone that is accepted with my GPA is URM, which I am not. Even if I did get my LSAT up to a 170, I'm probably not looking at much more in the way of scholarship money.

When I decided I wanted to go to law school, I had my eyes set on Fordham. That's probably why I'm sounding more biased in that direction. But honestly every day is different. The other day I was leaning more towards SJU. There really is no right or wrong answer here, just what's best for me; I think I just need to follow my gut on this one.

mela36

Postby mela36 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:55 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:LST synthesizes any NALP reports that are disclosed.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... sals/2013/

Of the grads that are employed and report their salary (65%), median income is 130k, average 114k.

If OP wants 100k+, she'll probably have to be in the top 30% in terms of employment desirability, which is probably a function of grades, work experience, and charm/charisma.

A cursory google search revealed that PT students don't necessarily have access to OCI and externships, and if you're working full time you can't do summer clerkships/associate work. I can't say for sure but I'm assuming being PT at the very least somewhat limits your employment prospects.

I've taken that into consideration with regards to summer internships. Fortunately my job is very accommodating and understands my goals, so they will let me work around that. But on the off chance their position changes, I've considered the possibility of having to quit and find work elsewhere, most likely lower-paying and/or part-time. It's also another reason I'm considering the SJU route so I can commit full-time and have less debt.

togoornottogo

Postby togoornottogo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:59 pm

It's also another reason I'm considering the SJU route so I can commit full-time and have less debt.

Do this, but in a year when you bump up your LSAT, and you could be doing it at Fordham.

mela36

Postby mela36 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:59 am

togoornottogo wrote:
It's also another reason I'm considering the SJU route so I can commit full-time and have less debt.

Do this, but in a year when you bump up your LSAT, and you could be doing it at Fordham.

Ugh...touche. Crap. I have some things to think about. I'm afraid of the risk of not being able to get my score up enough.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:27 pm

mela36 wrote:
togoornottogo wrote:

Ugh...touche. Crap. I have some things to think about. I'm afraid of the risk of not being able to get my score up enough.

So was I, and I had the same first score after studying. Did well. It's possible, it's gonna take some work, but if you want to be a successful lawyer, this is the only way.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”