Iowa($$) vs Cardozo($$$$) vs SLU ($$$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hmmlawhmm

Iowa($$) vs Cardozo($$$$) vs SLU ($$$$)

Postby hmmlawhmm » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi...

So I know my schools are kind of odd...I have ties to Des Moines and also St Louis, and I also have a lot of family in NYC and NJ. Moved around a lot (military family). Been in NJ, NYC, St Louis, and Des Moines.

-The schools you are considering
Iowa: 85k total
Cardozo: ~60k? (I would try to live as cheaply as possible, this is just a guesstimate for COL )
SLU: 45k total
Other possibilities are Mizzou full ride (but really dont want to go there) BU at a crazy price, GW at a crazy price, WUSTL at a crazy price...yeah...not smart I know.

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings

Loans+ Savings+A bit of family help

-Your general career goals
I of course would love big law, but I know it would be hard as fuck to get it from these schools.

Honestly, I have worked and helped develop a non-profit that helps people with disabilities find employment and has inspired me to want employment law--if I could work in the employment law field I would consider that a wonderful outcome.

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
156, 162, 163 (GAH WAS PTing in the high 160s...still fucking bummed as hell)

Any advice? I know sitting out for years and retaking will be mentioned but I really would like to start. I would love to live in NYC and the full ride to Dozo is tempting...but Iowa has pretty decent employment numbers and at least I most likely wouldn't be unemployed. SLU seems to be okay if I am content with St. Louis...but still pretty lousy employment numbers.

starry eyed

Re: Iowa($$) vs Cardozo($$$$) vs SLU ($$$$)

Postby starry eyed » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:47 pm

one thing to consider is that while you most likely won't end up with big law from dozo, you will still be working in expensive NYC, comparatively making less than what you would be in St louis or Iowa, go to SLU or iowa in my opinion-depending on where you want to work

hmmlawhmm

Postby hmmlawhmm » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:35 pm

Yeah, thanks, I had definitely thought about that. I think NYC is where I would like to live, but I know Dozo even with a full ride doesn't offer the safest out outcomes.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:40 pm

idk how competitive employment law (i don't think it is-but don't hold me to it) but it sounds attainable from dozo. Where you end up employed has less to do with grades when we get out biglaw territory and more to do with timing/networking/gunning/ties/interview skills/etc.

Cardozo would give you opportunities to do all of the above though.

hmmlawhmm

Postby hmmlawhmm » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Yeah, another good point. Probably more employment law opportunities in NYC just out of sheer number of firms. Though...that COL factor creeps back in. Right now I think I am leaning Iowa....but I wake up pretty much everyday thinking something different. Thanks for the input though, definitely appreciated.

midwestlawl

Postby midwestlawl » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:38 pm

starry eyed wrote:idk how competitive employment law (i don't think it is-but don't hold me to it) but it sounds attainable from dozo. Where you end up employed has less to do with grades when we get out biglaw territory and more to do with timing/networking/gunning/ties/interview skills/etc.

I agree with the part about how timing/networking skills etc plays a huge role after you don't consider big law, but I am not sure Cardozo would offer an advantage finding a job over Iowa. Not sure, though.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:08 pm

midwestlawl wrote:
starry eyed wrote:idk how competitive employment law (i don't think it is-but don't hold me to it) but it sounds attainable from dozo. Where you end up employed has less to do with grades when we get out biglaw territory and more to do with timing/networking/gunning/ties/interview skills/etc.

I agree with the part about how timing/networking skills etc plays a huge role after you don't consider big law, but I am not sure Cardozo would offer an advantage finding a job over Iowa. Not sure, though.

To clarify op: I meant that dozo would offer you more NYC employment law opportunities. Iowa would definitely offer more opportunities in Iowa though. I would pick Iowa if I were in your shoes

AT9

Postby AT9 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:18 pm

I'd do Iowa, though 85k is still a lot of $.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:25 pm

What is your GPA? Iowa should given you a full scholly, but we don't know your GPA

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Cardozo has you at $26,400 per year; that's $79,200 for living over 3 years. NY is expensive and school estimates tend to put you at living cheaply already. Be real with cost expectations.

http://www.cardozo.yu.edu/current-students/tuition-and-financial-aid/tuition-and-expenses

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu May 28, 2015 6:39 pm

What are the scholarship stipulations? Keep that in mind. I know several people at Iowa who lost their scholarships in the first year. Even being top 1/3 is not a guarantee. One hideously low grade can skew your GPA quite quickly. My first term I aced two of my classes but had a bad experience in legal writing (low participation points and a bitchy teacher), which put me on the 1/3 edge.

NorCalLaw

Postby NorCalLaw » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:00 pm

I think it's likely that grades will still matter a great deal, frankly, unless OP wants to work with a solo or something of that nature (and even then, they'll take someone who did well over someone who did poorly, all else considered).

You can definitely strike out going for non-biglaw at Cardozo if you land below median. Their overall legal employment rate is under 60%.

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:04 pm

I'd do Iowa - at least you're realistic about your big law chances. If you want to live in STL then do SLU, but I think Iowa is the better choice here.

Pumpkin-Duke of Pie

Postby Pumpkin-Duke of Pie » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:15 pm

Alternatively, why exactly do you want to be a lawyer? Have you explored alternatives to getting to the same result/position? If you're doing it for the money, then, lol, don't go.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”