Berkeley v. Columbia for LA 174 3.5 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Berkeley or Columbia

Berkeley
65%
Columbia
35%

Total votes: 23

Kharbooza

New

Berkeley v. Columbia for LA 174 3.5

Post by Kharbooza » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:27 pm

UPDATE: I got $60,000 from Berkeley and $50,000 (20k for the first two years and 10k for the last) for Columbia. That means that this year I'm on the hook for

$64,000 at Berkeley
$68,500 at Columbia

Let me update the OP as well because it was originally confusing. I am currently an investment banker with 5 years of experience. I want to litigate. I know that the hours are bad, but you should see mine now. I don't really want to live in New York or Silicon Valley permanently. I'd like to settle down in Southern California.

So my ultimate goals are to clerk and then work as a litigator at a BigLaw firm in LA. I've previosuly lived in Chicago, and I didn't mind it and could see myself going back. I also like Texas a lot. I havent lived there before but I have visited Houston and Dallas a lot over the past few years. I know that these two law schools aren't ideal for the regions I want to go to so this is a tough decision to make.
Last edited by Kharbooza on Fri May 01, 2015 11:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Berkeley v. Columbia. 174 3.5 reapplicant

Post by rpupkin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:30 pm

Kharbooza wrote:Hey guys - sorry I know some of this info is incomplete.
I'm getting around 20k a year from Berkeley, which isn't much. I'm expecting no financial aid from Columbia based on my parents' incomes. I've been out of school for about 5 years now and I'm a second time applicant. I have no other offers on the table. I applied to Michigan, Penn, Duke, NYU, HLS, SLS, and UVA.

My goal is to litigate in LA. I know that's not an ideal market, so as a backup I'm slightly more in favor of SF/SV than NYC. I also wouldn't mind working in Texas or Chicago, although I have no ties to either.
So you're getting $60K in aid from Berkeley. Plus, Berkeley's tuition is about $10k/yr less than Columbia's. Let's assume COL is about equal.

Is CLS worth $90K more than Boalt for someone who wants to work in California? No. I think Berkeley is the right choice here.

By the way, LA is an easier market than SF/SV, even for a Berkeley student.
Last edited by rpupkin on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:31 pm

Didn't apply to ucla or usc and ya wanna work in LA?

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Berk. $20k a year isn't really a bad outcome considering you are a splitter, but obviously it's still expensive. I couldn't stomach the sticker price of Columbia.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you blanket the T-14? At least for negotiations.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Yeah what happened to UCLA/USC?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:57 pm

Seems like you had a better cycle the first time as you made the waitlists at Stanford & Chicago. Congratulations on Columbia & UCal-Berkeley. Since you want LA, seems like Berkeley is the better choice.

Are you on any waitlists ?

Since you are also interested in Texas, did you apply to the Univ. of Texas ? A 174 LSAT & a 3.4 or 3.5 GPA should get some substantial money.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:28 pm

Berk, I guess. UCLA/USC seem to be splitter-unfriendly with the fullys anyway ... but you didn't even apply?

Kharbooza

New

Re: Berkeley v. Columbia. 174 3.5 UPDATE real numbers

Post by Kharbooza » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:11 pm

Hey guys I updated OP. I'd love to hear your updated thoughts.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:18 pm

So, if I understand your revised post correctly, COA is basically the same at both schools. And your preferred markets are, in order:

1. Southern California
2. SF/SV
3. NYC

If your order had #1 and #2 swapped, I'd say Berkeley. If your order had #2 and #3 swapped, I'd say Columbia.

But as it stands, I would just flip a coin. Go to whichever place you'd rather live for three years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kharbooza

New

Post by Kharbooza » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:27 pm

rpupkin wrote:So, if I understand your revised post correctly, COA is basically the same at both schools. And your preferred markets are, in order:

1. Southern California
2. SF/SV
3. NYC

If your order had #1 and #2 swapped, I'd say Berkeley. If your order had #2 and #3 swapped, I'd say Columbia.

But as it stands, I would just flip a coin. Go to whichever place you'd rather live for three years.

I know this is crazy but my preference is actually

1. Southern California
2. Texas or Chicago bc of COL
3. SF/SV
4. NYC

And 3 and 4 are pretty interchangeable of me.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:33 pm

Kharbooza wrote:
rpupkin wrote:So, if I understand your revised post correctly, COA is basically the same at both schools. And your preferred markets are, in order:

1. Southern California
2. SF/SV
3. NYC

1. Southern California
3. SF/SV
4. NYC

I don't know, dude. Also, rereading your (rather confusing) OP, I see that your "on the hook" costs are for next year alone. I'm not sure why you're calculating it that way. It looks like Berkeley will end up about $30K cheaper over three years. That would probably be enough to push me towards Berkeley.

Actually, now that I think about it, you're going to have $190K of debt at Boalt and like $220K at CLS. That's too much, especially because you seem wishy-washy. Rethink this whole process.

Kharbooza

New

Post by Kharbooza » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:44 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Kharbooza wrote:

1. Southern California
2. SF/SV
3. NYC

1. Southern California
3. SF/SV
4. NYC

I don't know, dude. Also, rereading your (rather confusing) OP, I see that your "on the hook" costs are for next year alone. I'm not sure why you're calculating it that way. It looks like Berkeley will end up about $30K cheaper over three years. That would probably be enough to push me towards Berkeley.

Actually, now that I think about it, you're going to have $190K of debt at Boalt and like $220K at CLS. That's too much, especially because you seem wishy-washy. Rethink this whole process.

Sorry man - I edited OP to try to make it clearer. I'm calculating it by the year because those are official numbers from the fin aid offices for this year. The future years will be similar but I don't know exactly what the tuition hikes are going to be.

Kharbooza

New

Post by Kharbooza » Fri May 01, 2015 11:27 am

Hey Guys - Thanks so much for your input so far. I see that people are picking Berkeley. Is Berkeley much better for Los Angeles specifically? From what I've previously read, although Berkeley gives an advantage in SF/SV, Columbia and Berkeley are similarly successful in LA. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 01, 2015 11:54 am

Kharbooza wrote:Hey Guys - Thanks so much for your input so far. I see that people are picking Berkeley. Is Berkeley much better for Los Angeles specifically? From what I've previously read, although Berkeley gives an advantage in SF/SV, Columbia and Berkeley are similarly successful in LA. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Berkeley is not better for Los Angeles. I'd say placement is equal between the two. Strong ties + CLS might even be a winner.

Berkeley is better for SV/SF.

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Fri May 01, 2015 12:08 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Berkeley is not better for Los Angeles. I'd say placement is equal between the two. Strong ties + CLS might even be a winner.

Berkeley is better for SV/SF.
...and this is based on?

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Kharbooza wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Kharbooza wrote:

1. Southern California
2. SF/SV
3. NYC

1. Southern California
3. SF/SV
4. NYC

Sorry man - I edited OP to try to make it clearer. I'm calculating it by the year because those are official numbers from the fin aid offices for this year. The future years will be similar but I don't know exactly what the tuition hikes are going to be.
You should use a debt calculator and find your total COA after tuition hikes/interest/loan fees/inflation/etc.

strugglebus

Bronze

Re: Berkeley v. Columbia for LA 174 3.5

Post by strugglebus » Fri May 01, 2015 2:28 pm

Since cost and placement in the markets you want seem to be similar, this is probably one of the cases where quality of life should be a big factor in your decision. Where would you be happier?

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:21 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
You should use a debt calculator and find your total COA after tuition hikes/interest/loan fees/inflation/etc.
Both seem too expensive to me...rough estimate but with interest OP is probably going to owe at least 240k at Boalt and more at Columbia

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”