Berkeley worth 40k over Cornell?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Berkeley worth 40k over Cornell?

Poll ended at Thu May 21, 2015 4:20 am

Berkeley (full price, cost: $145k)
17
65%
Cornell (with scholarship, cost: $105k)
9
35%
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Berkeley (full price) or Cornell (half tuition scholarship)?

Postby rpupkin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:42 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
SGVBruin14 wrote:Tiago Splitter: True but only the top 30% get an H or HH so its easier to hide the median.

I believe it's top 40%, meaning not a lot of people end up with straight P's, meaning employers will consider the folks with straight P's to be bottom quarter or whatever that number is. Sure, someone who would normally get all B-'s and C's at Cornell looks much more competitive at Berkeley, but straight P's at Berkeley is still a scary spot to be in.
Remember the system cuts both ways: Take two Cornell students: One who gets half A-'s and half B's and a second who gets all B+'s. The first looks great in the Berkeley system with an even H/P split, the second looks as bad as anyone and is sitting there with straight P's. Yet they'd both be median at Cornell.

Tiago is right. Remember, "hide the median" works both ways. It's not all upside. Berkeley is a great school and there can be reasons--depending on one's goals--to pick it over other T14s, but "there are no grades!" is not one of those reasons.

arose928
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:05 am

Re: Berkeley worth 40k over Cornell?

Postby arose928 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:01 pm

For those saying "don't attend Boalt at sticker" at what point in between sticker and full ride does Boalt make sense financially?

User avatar
L’Étranger
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:27 am

Re: Berkeley worth 40k over Cornell?

Postby L’Étranger » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:16 pm

arose928 wrote:For those saying "don't attend Boalt at sticker" at what point in between sticker and full ride does Boalt make sense financially?


There's no exact cutoff. If depends on how confident you are that you can payoff your loans if you end up with shit grades. This has to do with, for example, what marketable skills you may have beyond your grades. Also, just to clarify, this same question, which is a good one, applies to every school, not just B.

SGVBruin14
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:25 am

Re: Berkeley worth 40k over Cornell?

Postby SGVBruin14 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:54 pm

BigZuck wrote:
SGVBruin14 wrote:So it looks like Berkeley is pulling ahead of the poll and I tend to agree.

Dean Tom- 1 billion
BigZuck- 0

:(


Haha, sorry BigZuck :(

Tiago Splitter wrote:
SGVBruin14 wrote:Tiago Splitter: True but only the top 30% get an H or HH so its easier to hide the median.

I believe it's top 40%, meaning not a lot of people end up with straight P's, meaning employers will consider the folks with straight P's to be bottom quarter or whatever that number is. Sure, someone who would normally get all B-'s and C's at Cornell looks much more competitive at Berkeley, but straight P's at Berkeley is still a scary spot to be in.

Remember the system cuts both ways: Take two Cornell students: One who gets half A-'s and half B's and a second who gets all B+'s. The first looks great in the Berkeley system with an even H/P split, the second looks as bad as anyone and is sitting there with straight P's. Yet they'd both be median at Cornell.


I just looked it up. You are correct. Top 40 the first year get H/HH and top 45 the next year get H/HH. While at Admitted Students Weekend I spoke to one student who claims he has received multiple offers and he has yet to get an H yet. But you make a good point. Though at the end of the day, on my resume I wouldn't have to list a sub-par GPA which could automatically close doors. With Berkeley's system I would have to send in my whole transcript and I assume employers would not ask for it before they have already seriously considered my application.

rpupkin wrote:Tiago is right. Remember, "hide the median" works both ways. It's not all upside. Berkeley is a great school and there can be reasons--depending on one's goals--to pick it over other T14s, but "there are no grades!" is not one of those reasons.


Right but I still feel P's with a couple of H's looks better than a 3.0 on a resume. I suppose it is preference though. Regardless, I do believe my goals favor picking Berkeley over Cornell.

User avatar
Yea All Right
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Berkeley worth 40k over Cornell?

Postby Yea All Right » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:50 pm

If you just won't accept working in NYC, then you'll have to pick Berkeley over Cornell. But that sticker price can be scary and will understandably turn off a lot of TLSers. Sounds like you're not going to retake and reapply though...

SGVBruin14
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:25 am

Re: Berkeley worth 40k over Cornell?

Postby SGVBruin14 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:03 am

Yea All Right wrote:If you just won't accept working in NYC, then you'll have to pick Berkeley over Cornell. But that sticker price can be scary and will understandably turn off a lot of TLSers. Sounds like you're not going to retake and reapply though...


Yes, I really cannot stand NYC. Haha, it is not an ideal situation but hopefully Berkeley will match. Still for my goal of CA big law, I would only pay full tuition to Berkeley or a T3 (maybe a T6).
Yeah, I won't be retaking/reapplying.
Thanks for your comment!

User avatar
bearsfan23
Posts: 1529
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: Berkeley worth 40k over Cornell?

Postby bearsfan23 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:12 am

SGVBruin14 wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:If you just won't accept working in NYC, then you'll have to pick Berkeley over Cornell. But that sticker price can be scary and will understandably turn off a lot of TLSers. Sounds like you're not going to retake and reapply though...


Yes, I really cannot stand NYC. Haha, it is not an ideal situation but hopefully Berkeley will match. Still for my goal of CA big law, I would only pay full tuition to Berkeley or a T3 (maybe a T6).
Yeah, I won't be retaking/reapplying.
Thanks for your comment!


If you want CA Biglaw, Berkeley is a no brainer. Cornell places well into NYC Biglaw and that's it. For CA Biglaw, Berk is worth far more than $40k over Cornell.

Plus, did you actually visit Cornell? Ithaca can be a miserable place to be for 3 years




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests