Is UCLA overpriced at 120k? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
EarlofSandwich

New

Is UCLA overpriced at 120k?

Post by EarlofSandwich » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:28 pm

These questions or others similar to it have no doubt been asked before, but here it is again.
1. How many UCLA grads get biglaw or other high-paying gigs that wanted to? LST says only 32.5% do, but there seem to be a lot of UCLA grads going into public interest or clerkships, so it is tough to tell.
2. I worry I will not necessarily rank very high in the class. What would be the usual minimum gpa/rank required to get biglaw through oci? How does the median UCLA student fare?

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Is UCLA overpriced at 120k?

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:40 pm

EarlofSandwich wrote:there seem to be a lot of UCLA grads going into public interest
What are you basing this on?

I go to a school which is basically a carbon copy of UCLA (it just so happens to be located in TX, not CA). There are some people with great grades opting into PI, sure, but rest assured that meaningful numbers aren't opting out of big law. Their big law score is about as high as it could be.
EarlofSandwich wrote:2. I worry I will not necessarily rank very high in the class. What would be the usual minimum gpa/rank required to get biglaw through oci? How does the median UCLA student fare?
At my school you'd very likely be on the outside looking in with median grades, unless you had some factors firms covet (diversity factors they want, nepotism, smoking hotness, etc.) You might be lucky and get an offer at median but you'd probably want to be at least top 25% to feel any sort of comfort going into OCI (and that gpa range likely wouldn't be sufficient in and of itself)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”