Michigan ($$$) v. Cornell ($$$$) v. Texas ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LeeAllen

Michigan ($$$) v. Cornell ($$$$) v. Texas ($$$)

Postby LeeAllen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:22 pm

The schools you are considering:
Michigan, Cornell, and Texas.

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each.:
Michigan: $117,000 (90k scholly)
Cornell: $105,000 (135k scholly)
Texas: $103,000 (107k scholly)

-How you will be financing your COA:
Loans.

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any) :
I am from Michigan and I have a lot of connections in state government. I spent close to a year in DC, and I'd like to end up there.

-Your general career goals
I'd like to clerk and ideally do appellate work.

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

169/3.80

-How many times you have taken the LSAT
Twice.

Any advice? I'm hoping to negotiate up Michigan's offer.

rpupkin

Re: Michigan ($$$) v. Cornell ($$$$) v. Texas ($$$)

Postby rpupkin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:24 pm

LeeAllen wrote:I'd like to clerk and ideally do appellate work.

Uh-oh.

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:25 pm

Cornell based on these numbers. UT shouldn't even be in the conversation if you want DC.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:26 pm

rpupkin wrote:

Uh-oh.

Hand

Postby Hand » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:28 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Uh-oh.

well if you're #1 in your class then no problem but since the #1 spot at cornell is already taken, I'd go with mich

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:30 pm

Hand wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Uh-oh.

well if you're #1 in your class then no problem but since the #1 spot at cornell is already taken I'd go with mich

Lol

Also OP your CoA estimates are too low

LeeAllen

Postby LeeAllen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:34 pm

swadianfc wrote:

I used the COA estimates provided by the schools. Cornell is 80k a year, MI in-state is roughly 70k. Do you have reason to believe that the numbers provided by the school are inaccurate?

KMart wrote:Cornell based on these numbers. UT shouldn't even be in the conversation if you want DC.

What about Cornell puts it above Michigan for DC? Yeah, UT likely isn't the place to go if I'm aiming for DC.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Go to either Cornell or Michigan if you want NYC, whichever you like better. Go to Michigan if you don't want to be in NYC.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:39 pm

LeeAllen wrote:
swadianfc wrote:

I used the COA estimates provided by the schools. Cornell is 80k a year, MI in-state is roughly 70k. Do you have reason to believe that the numbers provided by the school are inaccurate?

Cost of attendance includes interest, loan origination fees, etc. It's not "Round off the school provided cost of attendance, subtract scholarship= done." You need to do a proper calculation, if only for yourself.

Texas is out, doesn't make any sense here

Your career goals are too hard for mere mortals to achieve, what's the realistic plan? Right now the only realistic advice we can give is retake, go to Harvard. If you have realistic goals and geographic preferences then people can give better advice.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:40 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Go to either Cornell or Michigan if you want NYC, whichever you like better. Go to Michigan if you don't want to be in NYC.

It's appropriate, AreJay711, that your tar is Spock, because this post reminds me of the Star Trek episode where Spock (or was it Kirk?) blew up an evil computer by making a completely illogical statement.

LeeAllen

Postby LeeAllen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:
LeeAllen wrote:
swadianfc wrote:

Cost of attendance includes interest, loan origination fees, etc. It's not "Round off the school provided cost of attendance, subtract scholarship= done." You need to do a proper calculation, if only for yourself.

That's a fair point. Should I expect much disparity in these fees or would it just be more closely resembling a flat boost to the COA of any school I attend?

BigZuck wrote:Your career goals are too hard for mere mortals to achieve, what's the realistic plan? Right now the only realistic advice we can give is retake, go to Harvard. If you have realistic goals and geographic preferences then people can give better advice.

Haha, yes, you're right. I realize I'm being quite optimistic. Realistically, I'll work at a big firm to pay off the debt and then from there on out I'd be interested in government work (state or federal level) or perhaps moving to a smaller firm.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:49 pm

And don't forget to include tuition increases. LST has data on historical tuition increases. But they're generally anywhere from $1,500 to $3,000 a year at the schools you're looking at.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:52 pm

There might be better ones but using this type of calculator is what I'm thinking of: https://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/fina ... alculator/

I vote Cornell and also a June retake just for funnies/see if you bink like a 174 or something and can squeeze more money out of the bloodsuckers or reapply and aim higher if you feel so inclined

LeeAllen

Postby LeeAllen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:55 pm

BigZuck wrote:There might be better ones but using this type of calculator is what I'm thinking of: https://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/fina ... alculator/

I vote Cornell and also a June retake just for funnies/see if you bink like a 174 or something and can squeeze more money out of the bloodsuckers or reapply and aim higher if you feel so inclined

I should have mentioned - I'm planning on the retake in June. If I get a substantially higher score, I'll consider sitting out a cycle.

Wingtip88

Postby Wingtip88 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:55 pm

Use the financial worksheets over on Law School Transparency for the full and accurate picture of your prospective debt loads.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:56 pm

LeeAllen wrote:
BigZuck wrote:There might be better ones but using this type of calculator is what I'm thinking of: https://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/fina ... alculator/

I should have mentioned - I'm planning on the retake in June. If I get a substantially higher score, I'll consider sitting out a cycle.

NOICE

Good luck

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:40 pm

rpupkin wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Go to either Cornell or Michigan if you want NYC, whichever you like better. Go to Michigan if you don't want to be in NYC.

It's appropriate, AreJay711, that your tar is Spock, because this post reminds me of the Star Trek episode where Spock (or was it Kirk?) blew up an evil computer by making a completely illogical statement.

Sentence 1: If NYC then M or C.
Sentence 2: If ~NYC then M and ~C

Or do you just have a better reed on the entry-level legal job market than I do?

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:27 pm

Mich if you don't want NYC. Cornell if you do want NYC. Retake/sit out for HYSCCN if you would only be happy doing fancy appellate stuff.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”