Best ways to prepare 0l for 4.0 GPA?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
davidcasaletto

Best ways to prepare 0l for 4.0 GPA?

Postby davidcasaletto » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:12 pm

I understand there are certain techniques for studying/notetaking - where can I learn about these in detail?

Are there any tried and true methods for studying/preparing during 0l to come out swinging and get 4.0 1L?

I'm thinking of looking at the 1L class list and just reading and learning from textbooks on those classes, but I want to study "study techniques" too like outlines that I've heard of and whatever else is best practice. Please if anyone knows or could point me to a useful resource I would be very appreciative.

Thanks.

Hand

Re: Best ways to prepare 0l for 4.0 GPA?

Postby Hand » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:14 pm

The key is compulsive masturbation; start early

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:15 pm

:roll:

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:15 pm

Excellent username/post combo ^

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 pm

What happens to your 4.0 when everyone else in the class uses the same study techniques you do?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:18 pm

There's no tried and true method

Read the book Getting to Maybe

Use good outlines to study from

Pay attention to what your professor thinks is important

Do as many practice tests as possible

Hopefully it works out

davidcasaletto

Postby davidcasaletto » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:19 pm

BigZuck wrote:There's no tried and true method

Read the book Getting to Maybe

Use good outlines to study from

Pay attention to what your professor thinks is important

Do as many practice tests as possible

Hopefully it works out

What about these "good outlines"? are these school specific? General outlines for generic law school classes? Where do I find them?

davidcasaletto

Postby davidcasaletto » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:20 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:What happens to your 4.0 when everyone else in the class uses the same study techniques you do?

Well hopefully I use them better I guess, or find something that gives me an even greater edge (Maybe spending more overall time studying).

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:22 pm

There's a bunch of guides on TLS. But at the end of the day your grade is going to come down to one exam curved with a group of similarly talented people and graded by a prof who will averagw about 5 minutes of attention per 1,000 words. Might as well enjoy your last months of not being a lawyer or at law school.

BrazilBandit

Postby BrazilBandit » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:23 pm

davidcasaletto wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:What happens to your 4.0 when everyone else in the class uses the same study techniques you do?

Well hopefully I use them better I guess, or find something that gives me an even greater edge (Maybe spending more overall time studying).

I feel like you might be the kid who volunteered during a "class observation" at their first ASD...

davidcasaletto

Postby davidcasaletto » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:24 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:There's a bunch of guides on TLS. But at the end of the day your grade is going to come down to one exam curved with a group of similarly talented people and graded by a prof who will averagw about 5 minutes of attention per 1,000 words. Might as well enjoy your last months of not being a lawyer or at law school.

Hmm I see, so you think the grades aren't really super merit based? Maybe more a result of style or writing, clarity, or understanding what a given teacher prefers for higher grades (i.e. good grammer, clear organization, an obvious and clear grasp of the issues at hand etc.)?

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:25 pm

Hand wrote:The key is compulsive masturbation; start early

No way - too much of a distraction. Neuter/castration.

Fun fact: every - and I mean every - 4.0 male in law school is as smooth as a ken doll down there.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:28 pm

d.cameltoe wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:There's a bunch of guides on TLS. But at the end of the day your grade is going to come down to one exam curved with a group of similarly talented people and graded by a prof who will averagw about 5 minutes of attention per 1,000 words. Might as well enjoy your last months of not being a lawyer or at law school.

Hmm I see, so you think the grades aren't really super merit based? Maybe more a result of style or writing, clarity, or understanding what a given teacher prefers for higher grades (i.e. good grammer, clear organization, an obvious and clear grasp of the issues at hand etc.)?

Mostly random, a little understanding what the teacher wants and maybe typing speed. Definitely helps to write with clarity.
Last edited by UnicornHunter on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 071816 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:31 pm

such a sweet kid

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:32 pm

davidcasaletto wrote:

This has come up a lot; you might want to browse the forums for prep or similar terms. There are definitely skills required to do well on law school exams, but you can't control how the rest of your classmates do, and nothing suggests that studying the content before you start school will give you an edge. To that extent, no, there aren't any tried and true methods to get you a 4.0.

Flokkness

Postby Flokkness » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:34 pm

Somewhat similarly-situated; I was advised by a lawyer to peruse hornbooks and Black's during 0L summer to get a working idea of first year concepts and a (better) grasp of the language. I'm also doing a prep course simply because it was massively discounted.

FWIW. Also taking a trip to Hawaii, seeing family, etc... won't have another window for that much relaxation in years, possibly decades (not counting mere unemployment).

davidcasaletto

Postby davidcasaletto » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:34 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
davidcasaletto wrote:

Mostly random, a little understanding what the teacher wants and maybe typing speed. Definitely helps to write with clarity.

Aha, so I should work on typing speed ;), all that time on Runescape might come in handy.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Flokkness wrote:Somewhat similarly-situated; I was advised by a lawyer to peruse hornbooks and Black's during 0L summer to get a working idea of first year concepts and a (better) grasp of the language. I'm also doing a prep course simply because it was massively discounted.

FWIW. Also taking a trip to Hawaii, seeing family, etc... won't have another window for that much relaxation in years, possibly decades (not counting mere unemployment).

I would so not spend time doing that. It's really not worth it. You'll have to learn everything all over again in context.

(Review, I mean. DEFINITELY go to Hawaii!)

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:41 pm

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:52 pm

Why set your sights so low? Go to a school that grades up to a 4.30 hth.

Hand

Postby Hand » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:00 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:
d wrote:

I feel like you might be the kid who volunteered during a "class observation" at their first ASD...

This guy is probably posting under his real name; please compare your memory to pics on FB to confirm/deny
Last edited by Hand on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omegaweapon

Postby omegaweapon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:14 pm

Last edited by omegaweapon on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:17 pm

^^ Dudes, nobody needs to know that.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:26 pm

omegaweapon wrote:You need to delete this stuff, particularly your other thread. It's not going to make you look good when people Google your name.

Honey, please listen to this. If you want to keep your posts, come up with a more anonymous user name and contact a mod to get them to switch it. And if anyone has used your username ask them to delete it.

omegaweapon

Postby omegaweapon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:30 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
omegaweapon wrote:You need to delete this stuff, particularly your other thread. It's not going to make you look good when people Google your name.

Honey, please listen to this. If you want to keep your posts, come up with a more anonymous user name and contact a mod to get them to switch it. And if anyone has used your username ask them to delete it.

I'm also sure all of us would be happy to edit our quotes out all together if you'd like.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”