#1 student at Cornell competitive against HYS etc?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nekrowizard

Post removed.

Postby Nekrowizard » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:01 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Nekrowizard on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Re: #1 student at Cornell competitive against HYS etc?

Postby rpupkin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Even if you finish #1 in your class at Cornell, you will still be subject to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEGy_asxL2U

Prepare for a lifetime of feeling inferior, my friend.

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:08 pm

OP its probably something like this. If you are top 10% at Cornell and really aspire for something very unicornish (like Academia) it might make sense to transfer to Y (or H you get the idea).

But at that point for anything else it doesn't make sense. You'll have access to all the same big law employers (who will only see your Cornell grades anyway). In terms of clerkships the percentages at HYS are better, but I think a person at Cornell is better off with great grades and building relationships with professors right from 1L (especially with the collapse of the OSCAR hiring plan timeline).

The people who are transferring to NYU are likely paying sticker at both and really would just prefer to live in NY (I can't really speculate but I guess that would be a reason) and/or just not thinking.

Hand

Postby Hand » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:09 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:OP its probably something like this. If you are top 10% at Cornell and really aspire for something very unicornish (like Academia) it might make sense to transfer to Y (or H you get the idea).

But at that point for anything else it doesn't make sense. You'll have access to all the same big law employers (who will only see your Cornell grades anyway). In terms of clerkships the percentages at HYS are better, but I think a person at Cornell is better off with great grades and building relationships with professors right from 1L (especially with the collapse of the OSCAR hiring plan timeline).

The people who are transferring to NYU are likely paying sticker at both and really would just prefer to live in NY (I can't really speculate but I guess that would be a reason) and/or just not thinking.

But what if you are #1 instead of some pitiful loser with merely top 10% grades?

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:10 pm

rpupkin wrote:Even if you finish #1 in your class at Cornell, you will still be subject to this:

Haha you can always balance out going to the least prestigious C in the T14 with the people who mistake Penn with Penn State.

abl

Postby abl » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:12 pm

I think things get trickier if we're talking about top 10% at Cornell--at least for unicorn jobs. There's something special about being #1.

That, and the uncertainty of staying #1 (even for the transfer applicants who are #1) is why people transfer. I'm not sure I'd transfer from Cornell to NYU if I was sitting super high in the class at Cornell (median's a different story). But HYS are a different story.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:13 pm

rpupkin wrote:Even if you finish #1 in your class at Cornell, you will still be subject to this:

Lmao

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:13 pm

Hand wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:OP its probably something like this. If you are top 10% at Cornell and really aspire for something very unicornish (like Academia) it might make sense to transfer to Y (or H you get the idea).

But what if you are #1 instead of some pitiful loser with merely top 10% grades?

This might be a time to go into law school grading too. See how I didn't evaluate that argument? I may have just gone from an A to a B+ on the curve depending on what type of coffee my professor drank when grading my test. Its a bad idea to predict you'll be number 1.

And yeah there is a real difference between 1 and top 10%. Which is only a gap of like 19 people at Cornell so things can change pretty quickly.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:18 pm

Outcomes that have a 1/190 likelihood of happening do not fall into the category of things you need to worry about.

universityof

Postby universityof » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:20 pm

heythatslife wrote:Outcomes that have a 1/190 likelihood of happening do not fall into the category of things you need to worry about.

Didn't you see that he's going to try really hard and use techniques?

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:52 pm

a damn good school, damn good.

CaptainJapan

Postby CaptainJapan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:07 pm

this is so spot on.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:10 pm

davidcasaletto wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:All joking aside our transfer out situation is kind of weird. There are a few H kids and sometimes Y, but a surprising amount of medianish kids transfer to NYU. I guess some people really do hate Ithaca and if you're not giving up money here, might as well live your life.

I wouldn't want to transfer because I got a very good scholarship (to me) for Cornell, and from my understanding transfer scholarships are rare and not as substantial..If I can reach competitive levels with the t6 by being top of the class at Cornell then I'd prefer to stay here for 13k a year instead of 50k at NYU...why do people transfer?

People transfer because they don't want the stain of having a state school like Cornell on their resume.

Plus prestige

davidcasaletto

Postby davidcasaletto » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:13 pm

universityof wrote:
heythatslife wrote:Outcomes that have a 1/190 likelihood of happening do not fall into the category of things you need to worry about.

Didn't you see that he's going to try really hard and use techniques?

Haters gonna hate.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:15 pm

abl wrote:There are a very select few judges/employers who hire just from HYS and occasionally one or two other schools (like Alshuler Berzon -- HYS + Berkeley, I believe) that you probably won't have a shot at. But we're talking really just exceptions to the general rule.

not particularly relevant, but I can guarantee you 110% Marsha Berzon hires regularly outside of harvard, stanford, berkeley, yale.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:17 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
abl wrote:There are a very select few judges/employers who hire just from HYS and occasionally one or two other schools (like Alshuler Berzon -- HYS + Berkeley, I believe) that you probably won't have a shot at. But we're talking really just exceptions to the general rule.

not particularly relevant, but I can guarantee you 110% Marsha Berzon hires regularly outside of harvard, stanford, berkeley, yale.

You're confused, dude. Abl was talking about the firm Alshuler Berzon, and you're talking about Judge Marsha Berzon. One hires associates; the other hires clerks.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:33 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

You're confused, dude. Abl was talking about the firm Alshuler Berzon, and you're talking about Judge Marsha Berzon. One hires associates; the other hires clerks.

My bad. Thought he was saying judge berzon only hires from certain schools, since it was prefaced by "a very select few judges/ ect"

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:49 am

Troll?

Wolverine1614

Postby Wolverine1614 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:17 am

Sorry OP. Posters below me are right. I'm a tad stressed right now and construed things the wrong way, no excuse for my rudeness though
Last edited by Wolverine1614 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

davidcasaletto

Postby davidcasaletto » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:17 am

Wolverine1614 wrote:As a Cornell student, please go to Harvard.

As a Cornell student , that's pretty rude.

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:01 am

davidcasaletto wrote:
Wolverine1614 wrote:As a Cornell student, please go to Harvard.

As a Cornell student , that's pretty rude.

Pay no attention OP: nothing wrong with asking questions. Sure, it wouldn't be classy to assume you'll be number 1, but I haven't really gotten that impression from this thread.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”