#1 student at Cornell competitive against HYS etc?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
davidcasaletto

#1 student at Cornell competitive against HYS etc?

Postby davidcasaletto » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:09 pm

The person who ranks #1 at Cornell, would they be competitive for the best Federal clerkships; Top COA, SCOTUS, etc. Top 50 law firms as well.

Or is Cornell too low ranked/ regional to really allow competition with HYS etc? Any insight on this would be helpful.

Hand

Re: #1 student at Cornell competitive against HYS etc?

Postby Hand » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:11 pm

Somebody get this guy some candy and a pat on the head

abl

Postby abl » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Yes. #1 at most first tier schools is going to be competitive for just about any position in the country.

FSK

Postby FSK » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Here's some insight: you sound insane asking a question like this.

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:15 pm

For realz?

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:For realz?

davidcasaletto

Postby davidcasaletto » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Just trying to make sure I understand, thanks guys, keep the thoughts coming.

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:23 pm

Dude c'mon of course the number one student at any T14 will have basically the same options as the top of the class at HYS and better options then the students at median there. If anything it'll help because of the small class size at Cornell it may be easier to find professors/deans who are really willing to go to bat for you.

Also the selectivity between the things you mentioned is wildly different. SCOTUS clerk is not something anyone should think about until they are at the top of their class.

V50 is obviously an attainable goal from any of the T14.

What are you looking for here?

davidcasaletto

Postby davidcasaletto » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:27 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:Dude c'mon of course the number one student at any T14 will have basically the same options as the top of the class at HYS and better options then the students at median there. If anything it'll help because of the small class size at Cornell it may be easier to find professors/deans who are really willing to go to bat for you.

Also the selectivity between the things you mentioned is wildly different. SCOTUS clerk is not something anyone should think about until they are at the top of their class.

An understanding of the ceiling of opportunity at Cornell.

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:32 pm

davidcasaletto wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:Dude c'mon of course the number one student at any T14 will have basically the same options as the top of the class at HYS and better options then the students at median there. If anything it'll help because of the small class size at Cornell it may be easier to find professors/deans who are really willing to go to bat for you.

My impression is that ceilings aren't really an issue for the top student at any T14. Differences in employment outcomes become more significant the further down you are in your class (e.g. median at Cornell has nowhere near the same opportunities as median at YHS). But if you are literally number 1 at Cornell you can pretty much write your own ticket.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:33 pm

davidcasaletto wrote:

what you're actually asking is: are there any opportunities available exclusively to HYS kids?

the answer is "not really." the possibilities exist everywhere (in the t14); the issue is probability.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:35 pm

The #1 person at Cornell will have pretty much any opportunities they want, provided there's not something terribly wrong with them.

OP, I REALLY hope you're not asking this because you're planning on being #1 in your class, though I'm fairly certain you are.

davidcasaletto

Postby davidcasaletto » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:36 pm

envisciguy wrote:The #1 person at Cornell will have pretty much any opportunities they want, provided there's not something terribly wrong with them.

OP, I REALLY hope you're not asking this because you're planning on being #1 in your class, though I'm fairly certain you are.

;]

King Cayuga

Postby King Cayuga » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:36 pm

davidcasaletto wrote:

You should start preparing your SCOTUS clerkship applications now. I heard Justice Kagan favors applicants with ESP.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:37 pm

the butthurt is running deep in this thread

eta: nvmd just saw his other thread
Last edited by starry eyed on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abl

Postby abl » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:37 pm

davidcasaletto wrote:

There is little-to-no ceiling. The #1 student at Cornell will be competitive for the vast majority of clerkships (including for most feeders), as well as just about all other highly competitive positions. There are a very select few judges/employers who hire just from HYS and occasionally one or two other schools (like Alshuler Berzon -- HYS + Berkeley, I believe) that you probably won't have a shot at. But we're talking really just exceptions to the general rule.

I suspect the biggest ceiling is SCOTUS. Practically speaking, you're probably not going to get a Supreme Court clerkship out of Cornell (even as #1 in the class).

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:38 pm

Your insecurity is the only thing that would hold you back.

First in the class at Cornell can do literally anything in the legal field. Even a Supreme Court clerkship isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:42 pm

Harvard is more prestigious

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:52 pm

#1 Harvard is better

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:52 pm

V32 is the ceiling for Cornell.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:53 pm

No, because they all transfer to Harvard or Yale ?

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:55 pm

All joking aside our transfer out situation is kind of weird. There are a few H kids and sometimes Y, but a surprising amount of medianish kids transfer to NYU. I guess some people really do hate Ithaca and if you're not giving up money here, might as well live your life.

davidcasaletto

Postby davidcasaletto » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:All joking aside our transfer out situation is kind of weird. There are a few H kids and sometimes Y, but a surprising amount of medianish kids transfer to NYU. I guess some people really do hate Ithaca and if you're not giving up money here, might as well live your life.

I wouldn't want to transfer because I got a very good scholarship (to me) for Cornell, and from my understanding transfer scholarships are rare and not as substantial..If I can reach competitive levels with the t6 by being top of the class at Cornell then I'd prefer to stay here for 13k a year instead of 50k at NYU...why do people transfer?

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:59 pm

davidcasaletto wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:All joking aside our transfer out situation is kind of weird. There are a few H kids and sometimes Y, but a surprising amount of medianish kids transfer to NYU. I guess some people really do hate Ithaca and if you're not giving up money here, might as well live your life.

I wouldn't want to transfer because I got a very good scholarship (to me) for Cornell, and from my understanding transfer scholarships are rare and not as substantial..If I can reach competitive levels with the t6 by being top of the class at Cornell then I'd prefer to stay here for 13k a year instead of 50k at NYU...why do people transfer?

You are falsely assuming that they are making a logic choice.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:01 pm

davidcasaletto wrote:

if they're paying sticker at both

Return to “Choosing a Law School”