BC vs. Duke vs. Cornell Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BC vs. Keep Trying for Duke/Cornell

BC
43%
Keep Trying for Duke/Cornell
57%

Total votes: 14

Krush

New

BC vs. Duke vs. Cornell

Post by Krush » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:28 am

Hello all, and thanks in advance for any help.

This isn't a typical thread, as I was not outright accepted at either Duke (WL) or Cornell (reserve). I am nonetheless wondering whether you all think it's worth pursuing admission at either, because I do not want to waste time writing/visiting/hoping/putting off plans at BC, if it turns out that BC is a better outcome even if I got into Duke/Cornell.

My particular circumstances are that I am as sure as a 23 year-old, 0L can be that I want to practice (biglaw) in Boston/New England. The geographic location that I attend law school in itself doesn't much matter, but my placement after graduation pretty much has to be in Boston/New England.

As such, even though I was accepted at schools that are ranked higher than BC, I think it would only make sense to attend a school over BC if it's a national, and the best I did was the WL at Duke, and my application being put on reserve at Cornell (neither accepted nor rejected; they'll re-review my file later).

My GPA was 3.6-3.7, and my LSAT was 163-165. I suspect I got further consideration from Duke/Cornell because I am a minority, even though I'm not (?) URM. Waiting a cycle and retaking is not possible as I took the test three times, so these options are final.

CoA at BC would be ~60k total, but my family would give me the loan interest-free (weird but true).

CoA at Duke and Cornell is obviously unknown, since I didn't actually get in. Based on both what I've read on TLS and figures posted by Duke, there's a chance I would get some money even off the WL from Duke, because Duke pulls hard off its WL. Cornell is unlikely to get money, and I'm not sure what the chances for a reserve are. Payment would again me made with the weird family loan plan for either of these options.

Assuming I went all-in on one of these schools by making every effort to express genuine commitment, and got in off the waitlist, would you even take either Duke or Cornell at sticker, or close to it, over BC at 60k total? Again, kicker here is that I am 98% sure I want to be in Boston immediately post-graduation.

Thanks again.
Last edited by Krush on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Re: BC vs. Duke vs. Cornell

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:30 am

Waiting a cycle and retaking is not possible, so these options are final
Why? It seems to be pretty clearly in your best interests.

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:31 am

Cornell and Duke are not options until you get off the WL. Do not think they will open up. Retake and reapply

Krush

New

Post by Krush » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:38 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
3 takes; I'm dumb. Will update OP for clarity. And I'm not considering sitting out this cycle and the next and retaking in 2 years when there's no guarantee I would do better.

And I would rather go to BC Law at 60k in family loans than not go to law school at all. The question is just whether or not it's even worth trying for Cornell/Duke if I know that I want to practice in Boston/New England.

fratstar1

Bronze

Post by fratstar1 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:44 am

I think BC for 60k if you want to practice in NE is defensible its a very firm oriented school with a large minority of people going into biglaw (I think 36% is the new number from the class of 2014). That said if Big Law is your only dream and you couldn't imagine working for a smaller firm the only rational choice is to go to a law school that larger percentage of the class into large firms.

I go to BC and really like it here, but I also don't want biglaw and would probably be a lot more stressed out if I did.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:49 am

Krush wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
3 takes; I'm dumb. Will update OP for clarity. And I'm not considering sitting out this cycle and the next and retaking in 2 years when there's no guarantee I would do better.

And I would rather go to BC Law at 60k in family loans than not go to law school at all. The question is just whether or not it's even worth trying for Cornell/Duke if I know that I want to practice in Boston/New England.
There's no guarantee you get Biglaw from BC either. I think it would be worth getting a couple years of work experience and then giving the lsat another go in a couple years. 60k may not seem like a lot of money when you're comparing it to Duke/Cornell at sticker...but most people coming out of BC will be earning 50-60k, which means it will likely take several years to pay off.

You may not be guaranteed a better score, but if you put in the time and effort required, you can learn to do well on the LSAT which will give you much better options in a couple years. The work experience you gain will also help during OCI when you are trying to pitch yourself to firms in Boston. I think you need a work 2 years and retake option in the poll, OP.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:55 am

BC seems ok as long as you're ok with the likely outcome, which is 60K debt and no big law. It might happen, but as far as probability goes, big law is not likely.

If that's not ok, then retake or don't go.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:00 pm

BlueLotus call-in.

Also BC at 60K is fine if you don't necessarily want BigLaw and are sticking to the Boston market (though if you get bad grades you may end up working AT Boston Market).

Krush

New

Post by Krush » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Thanks for your input, OhBoyOhBortles and everyone else, but I'm set on attending law school this fall. As I alluded to, only getting into the T14 would be worth it as I'm in at T20 schools now, and the risk of not doing better on the LSAT is too great.

And the 60k debt is owed, but not traditionally. I will borrow it from my parents, and upon their death I will be given 60k less than I would have been if I don't pay them back before then. Like I said, weird.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:03 pm

BC of course. I don't see the benefit of waiting and retaking the LSAT. You've scored in the low to mid 160's three times so an increase to the score you'd need to get your COA under $100k at Duke or Cornell will be statistically unlikely, biglaw is said to be insufferable even if you could, and the $60k comes without accruing interest and you don't have to pay it back if you're not up for it!
All a 168 does is get you into T20's with the same scholarship and similar prospects that you're getting from BC.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:40 am

DaRascal wrote:BC of course. I don't see the benefit of waiting and retaking the LSAT. You've scored in the low to mid 160's three times so an increase to the score you'd need to get your COA under $100k at Duke or Cornell will be statistically unlikely, biglaw is said to be insufferable even if you could, and the $60k comes without accruing interest and you don't have to pay it back if you're not up for it!
All a 168 does is get you into T20's with the same scholarship and similar prospects that you're getting from BC.

Just going to chime in to say it is possible to jump. I went 163,164, 177. But I know I'm a single stat in a very large pool, so your point stands.

OP, I'd want to know where you were PTing. If it is significantly above your average LSAT score, I say retake and reapply. Yes the idea of waiting sucks, but unemployment and debt will suck too. Also if you are set on Boston a 168 or higher could mean no debt at BC.

ETA: as a side note did you apply to BU? If not I would say sit out to apply to both BC and BU for scholarship negotiation.

Krush

New

Post by Krush » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:57 am

mujiali wrote:
DaRascal wrote:BC of course. I don't see the benefit of waiting and retaking the LSAT. You've scored in the low to mid 160's three times so an increase to the score you'd need to get your COA under $100k at Duke or Cornell will be statistically unlikely, biglaw is said to be insufferable even if you could, and the $60k comes without accruing interest and you don't have to pay it back if you're not up for it!

Just going to chime in to say it is possible to jump. I went 163,164, 177. But I know I'm a single stat in a very large pool, so your point stands.

OP, I'd want to know where you were PTing. If it is significantly above your average LSAT score, I say retake and reapply. Yes the idea of waiting sucks, but unemployment and debt will suck too. Also if you are set on Boston a 168 or higher could mean no debt at BC.

ETA: as a side note did you apply to BU? If not I would say sit out to apply to both BC and BU for scholarship negotiation.
I was PTing high-160s, low-170s, timed and full-length. I prepped pretty hard, but I underperformed every time on the real thing. I guess that I'm just not prepared to push back real life for another two years in the hope that I get a better LSAT score.

I did apply to BU, but they are the only school that hasn't given me a response.

Thanks to all for the replies. I think that BC at this price offers a decent chance at getting the type of job I want in the location I want.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”