Harvard($) vs. Berkeley($$) vs. UMich($$) vs. Cornell($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Law School Decision

Cornell (Hughes)
16%
Berkeley
9%
Michigan
No votes
Harvard
75%

Total votes: 32

lawapp2018

Harvard($) vs. Berkeley($$) vs. UMich($$) vs. Cornell($$$)

Postby lawapp2018 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:15 am

The four schools I'm considering most seriously are the following (w/ the numbers indicating the amount of aid I've been offered).

Harvard ($40K in need-based aid in year one...no guarantees as to what will happen after that, but reasonable expectations of something comparable): COA: $135-$210k

Berkeley ($35k merit aid per year (i.e. $105,000 over three years) and $22k need aid for year one; need aid unknown for 2L and 3L): COA: $50-95k

Michigan ($50k merit aid per year (i.e. $150,000 over three years)): COA: $70-90k

Cornell (full-tuition scholarship as part of the new Hughes Scholars program): COA: $50-70k

I would like to clerk after graduation and may consider academia at some point (currently finishing up a phd). not real sure of my career ambitions within the law field aside from that. Any advice? What would you do in my situation?
Last edited by lawapp2018 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nomo

Re: Harvard($) vs. Berkeley($$) vs. UMich($$) vs. Cornell($$$)

Postby Nomo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:23 am

I would hold off on law school until you have some idea of what you're career ambitions. You've listed a one-year job (clerking) and a job that's going to be extremely difficult to get, even with your phd (academia). And you're not even sure if you want academia, which is odd for someone who has already gone through a phd.

A lot of people will envy your options. I envy your options. But I think you should wait it out until you know what you're trying to do. You're talking about three years of your life and potentially a lot of money. You should have a better idea of what you want out of it.

lawapp2018

Postby lawapp2018 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:38 am

Thanks for your feedback, Nomo. Your response indicates that I think I should clarify a bit. I'd enjoy an academic post, but I put the hedged language in because given how competitive academic positions are, I don't think it's something I will shoot for unless I rank quite well in law school (something I will try for, but obviously can't guarantee for myself). If I don't do as well as I hope, I would like to think I'd go the public interest route, but we all know many people get tempted (either via desire or need for $) into biglaw, and I think there's a reasonable chance that could happen to me if I felt I couldn't do academia. But I am committed to getting a law degree and am already getting on the old side to be starting (currently 27), so I'd rather not wait.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:12 am

Certainly Harvard at this point.

Jakobe

Postby Jakobe » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:38 am

I honestly don't see a reason why anyone who is getting that kind of need aid wouldn't go to Harvard, unless Stanford or Yale also offered them that kind of need aid.

Sure, it will probably change depending on what you do in the summers, but you'd be knocking 40k off the first year which is a great outcome.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:51 am

jbagelboy wrote:Certainly Harvard at this point.

Jakobe wrote:I honestly don't see a reason why anyone who is getting that kind of need aid wouldn't go to Harvard, unless Stanford or Yale also offered them that kind of need aid.

Sure, it will probably change depending on what you do in the summers, but you'd be knocking 40k off the first year which is a great outcome.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:39 am

Then Harvard is a pretty easy choice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”