Duke($$$) vs. NYU($$) vs. Harvard (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
queen_z

Duke($$$) vs. NYU($$) vs. Harvard (sticker)

Postby queen_z » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:32 am

I am at a loss and am hoping that the wisdom of TLS can help me reach a decision by Monday. Essentially, I am having a hard time estimating the value of prestige for my career goals.

The schools I am considering:

Harvard: Scholarship-$0, COA: 290K, Debt at Repayment- $160K
NYU: Scholarship-$105K/87.5K depending on 2L salary, COA: 225K, Debt at Repayment- $70k
Duke: Scholarship- $120K, COA: 135K, Debt at Repayment- $0K

I have visited all three schools and liked NYU’s campus the most, liked Havard’s environmental program the most, and liked the cost of Duke the most.

How am I going to finance my COA?

I am going to finance school through loans and some savings. Duke would be covered by savings to avoid accruing any loans. The same loan contribution was factored into the other schools’ debt at repayment numbers. My husband’s salary will cover the living expenditures and provides a small contribution to the tuition costs.

Where am I from and where do I want to work?

I am from the Philadelphia region and would like to stay on the east coast. I really don’t have a preference, but my career goals will probably drive me to NYC or DC.

General Career Goals?

I am interested in environmental law and regulatory interpretation. I would like to work in environmental litigation immediately after school, most likely in a firm environment for a period. Unfortunately, these positions are not too plentiful and examining the industry leads me to believe that clerking provides an advantage. Long term I would pursue the PI side of environmental law.

LSAT/GPA Numbers?

3.83/176 (3 times)

PB&J.D.

Re: Duke($$$) vs. NYU($$) vs. Harvard (sticker)

Postby PB&J.D. » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:58 am

I don't know what your application timeline was like or where you submitted apps (blanketed T-14?), but I would think you could pull a full ride at Duke with those #s. Did you submit late/negotiate/do Why-school essays?

For negotiation purposes, if anything.

queen_z

Postby queen_z » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:09 am

PB&J.D. wrote:I don't know what your application timeline was like or where you submitted apps (blanketed T-14?), but I would think you could pull a full ride at Duke with those #s. Did you submit late/negotiate/do Why-school essays?

For negotiation purposes, if anything.

I applied in mid-January, priority track application. This cycle just didn't pan out like I had hoped, I got a lot of waitlists (I blanketed the entire T-14). Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my options, just not what I was expecting. That scholarship offer is after negotiating with a higher offer from NW and a Why Duke essay included in my application.

PB&J.D.

Postby PB&J.D. » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:23 am

The self-reported Ruby Scholars from last cycle have near identical stats 176/3.8x. If you're not in a rush, I think it would be worthwhile to sit this cycle and re-apply early (and with incredibly polished) apps; not saying your apps were less-than, but even the smallest difference could mean consideration for a named scholarship.

I don't know how NYU named schollies work, but going after a Ruby/Hamilton/others seem like a real possibility and certainly a great bargaining tool if you don't initially get a similar offer at another school.

Note: ending up with 0 at repayment is great, but why not get that initial number as low as possible and invest the savings.

queen_z

Postby queen_z » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:31 am

PB&J.D. wrote:The self-reported Ruby Scholars from last cycle have near identical stats 176/3.8x. If you're not in a rush, I think it would be worthwhile to sit this cycle and re-apply early (and with incredibly polished) apps; not saying your apps were less-than, but even the smallest difference could mean consideration for a named scholarship.

I don't know how NYU named schollies work, but going after a Ruby/Hamilton/others seem like a real possibility and certainly a great bargaining tool if you don't initially get a similar offer at another school.

Note: ending up with 0 at repayment is great, but why not get that initial number as low as possible and invest the savings.

I know that ideally I would have gotten more money, but with the money that I have gotten, it doesn't make financial sense to sit out a year if I compare my earning potential after law school with my current salary. And the only school I was really heartbroken about being waitlisted at was Penn and I think my splitter status makes getting in there a toss-up in any year.

queen_z

Postby queen_z » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:36 pm

Got my NYU deadline extended to Friday so I'm still looking for advice. Thanks in advance!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:28 am

queen_z wrote:
PB&J.D. wrote:The self-reported Ruby Scholars from last cycle have near identical stats 176/3.8x. If you're not in a rush, I think it would be worthwhile to sit this cycle and re-apply early (and with incredibly polished) apps; not saying your apps were less-than, but even the smallest difference could mean consideration for a named scholarship.

I know that ideally I would have gotten more money, but with the money that I have gotten, it doesn't make financial sense to sit out a year if I compare my earning potential after law school with my current salary. And the only school I was really heartbroken about being waitlisted at was Penn and I think my splitter status makes getting in there a toss-up in any year.

You are in no sense a splitter. That's a stone cold yield protect from Penn

I think none of these offers are fair to your numbers. I also think if your family/you have $100,000+ to blow on grad school you aren't in the same boat as most people here and mostly likely lack much experiential overlap

PB&J.D.

Postby PB&J.D. » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:55 am

H seems really expensive at sticker, but it would likely still be there if you reapply. As it stands now, you just have to decide how much more NYU is worth to you than Duke. I don't think you should be looking at Duke for anything less than a Mordecai. Your current offer at NYU is substantial, though, so I can imagine why you might feel pressured to go for it this year. Given your interests, NYU seems like a great fit--huge BL+FC and PI placement numbers.

From my perspective (as a semi-anonymous 1L on the internet), I think it would more than make up the difference in loss of hypothetical, albeit likely salary to reapply early in the fall. With an early application, you should be in at Penn, on the early radar for a Rubenstein at Chicago (& other named scholarships), and first in pecking order for $$$$ provided the rest of your app looks good.

tl;dr: you have to decide if NYU w/ $$$ > Penn, full-rides, and maybe Y (clerk central, since you don't want S). I don't think you can go wrong with NYU, but why think "What if?" Also, more work experience is certainly valued.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:30 am

Id go NYU if youre not going to reapply

Return to “Choosing a Law School”