Another T6 ($) vs. T14 ($$/$$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What is the best option?

NYU with 25k
1%
Penn with 75k
11%
Cornell with 150k
88%

Total votes: 88

bonsai

New

Another T6 ($) vs. T14 ($$/$$$)

Post by bonsai » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Last edited by bonsai on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Gold

Re: Another T6 ($) vs. T14 ($$/$$$)

Post by Hand » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:44 pm

bonsai wrote: Cornell with 150k
Aiming for NYC big law
seek no further for an answer

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Exactly. That's far too much money to pass up at a school that places so well into the EXACT kind of job that you want. Especially (as you mentioned ) when you factor in the cost of housing differential. Cornell easy.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:48 pm

Seems the poll is going against your wishes :D

Biglaw chances are damn near similar at each school, and considering that, anecdotally, the average biglawyer doesn't last for more than 5 years, the most prudent financial choice is Cornell. The debt-to-risk ratio of NYU/Penn doesn't make sense compared to Cornell.

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:49 pm

My bad... the fear you might miss the BigLaw train is why you should take Cornell... if you strike out, your debt is still manageable. You could hypothesize about NYU giving you "additional insurance", but is a fact that Cornell costs 120K less (plus the savings for CoL differences).
Last edited by BrazilBandit on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:51 pm

If you could unquote that I would imagine the OP would appreciate it.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:52 pm

Im in a similar position as you, but I would take the money and run. Cornell has one of the best NYC placements and once you graduate you will be able to ball out/save hella bread.

bonsai

New

Post by bonsai » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:54 pm

^^Thank you :)

Thank you everyone for your responses! Haha I had a feeling this would be the response but I guess deep down I knew I needed a prestige-whoring reality check.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:57 pm

bonsai wrote:^^Thank you :)

Thank you everyone for your responses! Haha I had a feeling this would be the response but I guess deep down I knew I needed a prestige-whoring reality check.
Literally everyone outside the legal community will think cornell is far more prestigious than nyu, if it makes you feel better

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Clemenceau wrote:
bonsai wrote:^^Thank you :)

Literally everyone outside the legal community will think cornell is far more prestigious than nyu, if it makes you feel better
was just going to say this

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Yeah Cornell is in the ivy league. To people over 30 outside of law NYU is basically a state school in New York.

bonsai

New

Post by bonsai » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Just curious- what if I had left the Cornell option out of the post completely?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:05 pm

bonsai wrote:Just curious- what if I had left the Cornell option out of the post completely?
don't do this to yourself; just look at this again, and then once more if you are still not convinced:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:05 pm

bonsai wrote:Just curious- what if I had left the Cornell option out of the post completely?
I see what you're doing

Go to cornell

edit: scooped
Last edited by Clemenceau on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:06 pm

Honestly based on the higher scholly, lower living expenses, and recent placement data I'd say Penn. But you have Cornell so why?

Also Penn= Penn State to most of the populace.

Not only that but really I honestly don't think most attorneys IN NYC look at these schools as being all that different. You probably have to go to H/Y or Columbia to get the kind of prestige recognition boost that you seem to be looking for.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:06 pm

I would say Penn, and then ask you how much money Cornell gave you...

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:11 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Yeah Cornell is in the ivy league. To people over 30 outside of law NYU is basically a state school in New York.
Do people really know that Cornell is an Ivy, though? I feel like it's akin to Dartmouth.....frequently forgotten.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Prestige Regionwide

New

Post by Prestige Regionwide » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:20 pm

bretby wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Yeah Cornell is in the ivy league. To people over 30 outside of law NYU is basically a state school in New York.
Do people really know that Cornell is an Ivy, though? I feel like it's akin to Dartmouth.....frequently forgotten.
People have heard of Cornell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBUz4RnoWSM

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:28 pm

bretby wrote:
Who gives a shit

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
bretby wrote:
Who gives a shit
I don't know, apparently people in this thread/on this site who seem bring up the Penn/NYU/Cornell prestige-off pretty often.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:36 pm

Is the prestige of Penn/NYU worth a hundred thousand dollars? If not, and it should not be, go to Cornell. It's unanimous.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:39 pm

When you're sitting pretty with no debt in the office next door to a Penn/NYU grad you'll thank us.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:57 pm

bretby wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
bretby wrote:
Who gives a shit
I don't know, apparently people in this thread/on this site who seem bring up the Penn/NYU/Cornell prestige-off pretty often.
Its usually people arguing that Harvard is more prestigious than Chicago or Stanford or Columbia or something so they should flush money down the toilet to satisfy their temporary ego

I don't think anyone around here really goes on about Penn being more "prestigious" than Cornell. At equal cost I'd always vote Penn -- and for DC I think Penn adds more value -- but that's not the situation here. Cornell is a total no brainer

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Post by RunnerRunner » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Andy from the office = general populace knows Cornell is an Ivy. And thinks it is prestigious. You'll have plenty of prestige to flash at your hometown friends and you won't have to pay a dime for it! :lol:

ETA: well, not many dimes anyway.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:31 pm

Do people really know that Cornell is an Ivy, though? I feel like it's akin to Dartmouth.....frequently forgotten.[/quote]

Who gives a shit[/quote]

I don't know, apparently people in this thread/on this site who seem bring up the Penn/NYU/Cornell prestige-off pretty often.[/quote]
Its usually people arguing that Harvard is more prestigious than Chicago or Stanford or Columbia or something so they should flush money down the toilet to satisfy their temporary ego

I don't think anyone around here really goes on about Penn being more "prestigious" than Cornell. At equal cost I'd always vote Penn -- and for DC I think Penn adds more value -- but that's not the situation here. Cornell is a total no brainer[/quote]

Right - I meant that those three schools are often grouped together as good schools that don't have prestige brand recognition. As in, Penn (people will think it's Penn State!), NYU (who's ever heard of NYU outside of New York state?) and Cornell (the also-ran of the Ivies). Those arguments are all, to my mind, pretty stupid and, as you say, done to justify spending a lot more money at a slightly (if at all) better school.

Edited to try to embed the quotes. Failed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”