UVA v Mich v GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck

Re: UVA v Mich v GULC

Postby BigZuck » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:54 am

Brut wrote:what isn't adding up zuck

Cornell waitlist and Duke offer being a non-starter because no interest in Duke (or no interest because of bad offer)

If this is like a 163/3.98 I'll cry

But I'll be DAMNED if I don't get to the bottom of it

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:27 am

Between this, the 168 urm who got offers like a non-urm, and the 166 non-urm who got 170-type offers, I'm pretty skeptical of some of the choosing threads lately.

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:54 am

How do you get in at UVA but not Cornell? Sucks, man

JamaicanSaiyan8

Postby JamaicanSaiyan8 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:17 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Cornell waitlist and Duke offer being a non-starter because no interest in Duke (or no interest because of bad offer)

As a Northeastern U.S. raised URM I have minimal interest in spending the next 3yrs in Durham. I only applied because of the common practice of blanketing the T-14(minus YS). My cycle was a very waitlist heavy(only rejected from H and B) but I 've been fortunate to have gotten into some great schools. As stated above, I plan on riding the waitlist at CCNP.

Duke offer was initially sticker and successfully negotiated to 30k

DetroitRed

Postby DetroitRed » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:11 pm

UVA easily.

Michigan is a beautiful school but, as others have said, its recent employment data is somewhat alarming. Also, Michigan is in Michigan. Even though it's in Ann Arbor, the only cool city in Michigan, the weather is still miserable all but four months of the year. (-25˚F windchill is not at all uncommon for multiple months of the year, and the summers are insufferably humid.)

Serett

Postby Serett » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:32 am

JamaicanSaiyan8 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

As a Northeastern U.S. raised URM I have minimal interest in spending the next 3yrs in Durham. I only applied because of the common practice of blanketing the T-14(minus YS). My cycle was a very waitlist heavy(only rejected from H and B) but I 've been fortunate to have gotten into some great schools. As stated above, I plan on riding the waitlist at CCNP.

Duke offer was initially sticker and successfully negotiated to 30k

As opposed to...Charlottesville?

KangarooCourt13

Postby KangarooCourt13 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:44 am

DetroitRed wrote:UVA easily.

Michigan is a beautiful school but, as others have said, its recent employment data is somewhat alarming. Also, Michigan is in Michigan. Even though it's in Ann Arbor, the only cool city in Michigan, the weather is still miserable all but four months of the year. (-25˚F windchill is not at all uncommon for multiple months of the year, and the summers are insufferably humid.)

Ann Arbor is going to be downright electric though with Harbaugh in town. Not that that should factor into this critical decision...but just saying....

JamaicanSaiyan8

Postby JamaicanSaiyan8 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:32 pm

I want to thank everyone for their advice and input.

Georgetown just emailed me with an increased offer to 40k/yr. I was leaning heavily towards UVA but this development has me reconsidering. Am I crazy for passing up 40k/yr at Georgetown?

JamaicanSaiyan8

Postby JamaicanSaiyan8 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:37 pm

KangarooCourt13 wrote:
DetroitRed wrote:UVA easily.

Ann Arbor is going to be downright electric though with Harbaugh in town. Not that that should factor into this critical decision...but just saying....

It would've been exciting to experience the Harbaugh years in Ann Arbor but I guess I'll have to settle with enjoying it on television. At least now I wont have to root against my B10 alma mater when the two play.

Postby 03152016 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:38 pm

so gulc is now at 120k and uva is at 60k, goal is nyc biglaw?

much closer call than when gulc was at 90k imo

i think i'd probably go with gulc here, but keep negotiating

JamaicanSaiyan8

Postby JamaicanSaiyan8 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:33 pm

Brut wrote:so gulc is now at 120k and uva is at 60k, goal is nyc biglaw?

Agreed that it's a much closer call than when GULC was at 90k. UVA didn't budge when I sent them the 90k offer so I guess I'll see how they respond to the 120k offer.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:26 pm

JamaicanSaiyan8 wrote:

Agreed that it's a much closer call than when GULC was at 90k. UVA didn't budge when I sent them the 90k offer so I guess I'll see how they respond to the 120k offer.

If they respond with 90k then take it, otherwise go to GULC. Congrats!

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:27 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
JamaicanSaiyan8 wrote:

If they respond with 90k then take it, otherwise go to GULC. Congrats!

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:32 pm

I'm usually more pro-t10 over GULC but at this price GULC might well be worth it. I'd say to carefully weigh the difference in employment outcomes and see if the price differential is worth the extra effort/uncertainty of scoring a job.

GULC does fine in NYC Biglaw overall though so chances are you'll be fine - I say go GULC and see you in the Fall!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”