UK or UF?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FLalaw1

UK or UF?

Postby FLalaw1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:46 pm

UK w/ $12 k scholarship/year
UF - in state tuition (still waiting to hear back on scholarships)

I am from FL (born and raised) but do not want to stay in state long term. While I like UF's facility better, Lexington wins over Gainesville, and I could definitely see myself staying in KY long term. My primary concern with UK is that the law school is outdated and smaller, and I'm not sure of how my placement will be affected as an out of state student. My primary concern with UF is that I will be setting myself up to stay in FL after school. Any outside input is appreciated.

starry eyed

Re: UK or UF?

Postby starry eyed » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:27 pm

FLalaw1 wrote:UK w/ $12 k scholarship/year
UF - in state tuition (still waiting to hear back on scholarships)

I am from FL (born and raised) but do not want to stay in state long term. While I like UF's facility better, Lexington wins over Gainesville, and I could definitely see myself staying in KY long term. My primary concern with UK is that the law school is outdated and smaller, and I'm not sure of how my placement will be affected as an out of state student. My primary concern with UF is that I will be setting myself up to stay in FL after school. Any outside input is appreciated.

because of this i would lean UK, but idk how well florida firms would look at you going out of state for a regional law school if you wanted to get back there

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:31 pm

You might want to change your username to get a more unbiased response.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:48 pm

Where do you want to work? What kind of work do you want to do? What is your total debt at repayment for each of these schools.

The only thing that matters is your ability to get a job you want, in the place you want, at a price that will allow you to pay off your loans in 10 years without significant financial hardship.

North

Postby North » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:50 pm

Don't go to a middling law school in a state you have no or few ties to, and especially don't go when that state is in an insular southern market. Pretty much everyone I know IRL who did this is in the Vale. Not many people get good outcomes from state flagships like UK (even though your chances at a good outcome are better than at most other law schools outside the T14), and the people who do will almost always be the ones who have ironclad reasons for being in the state forever. A Kentucky firm will not hire you and commit to teaching you how to be a lawyer/waiting for you to become profitable for 3-5 years when they think there's even a chance that you'll discover you miss Florida and move back before they see a return.

Quality of law school facilities doesn't matter and should not factor into your decision.

North

Postby North » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:57 pm

Yeah, I re-read the OP. You were born and raised in FL. If you're going to go to law school, go to UF or FSU. Your best move would be to retake the LSAT until you can go to UF or FSU for free. Don't go to UK.

Law school is not the time to explore new parts of the country and see where you want to live. That's what undergrad was for. If you really want to live in Kentucky, move there and work for 5-ish years then think about law school again.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:37 pm

North wrote:Don't go to a middling law school in a state you have no or few ties to, and especially don't go when that state is in an insular southern market. Pretty much everyone I know IRL who did this is in the Vale. Not many people get good outcomes from state flagships like UK (even though your chances at a good outcome are better than at most other law schools outside the T14), and the people who do will almost always be the ones who have ironclad reasons for being in the state forever. A Kentucky firm will not hire you and commit to teaching you how to be a lawyer/waiting for you to become profitable for 3-5 years when they think there's even a chance that you'll discover you miss Florida and move back before they see a return.

Quality of law school facilities doesn't matter and should not factor into your decision.

Agreed. You are not an authority to talk about the outdated facilities, whatever that means (oldish library I assume). Facilities don't matter since the advent of the internet. UK is an outlandish pipe dream for a Florida kid. Stay in Florida.

J9ofDiamonds

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:44 am

North wrote:Yeah, I re-read the OP. You were born and raised in FL. If you're going to go to law school, go to UF or FSU. Your best move would be to retake the LSAT until you can go to UF or FSU for free. Don't go to UK.

Law school is not the time to explore new parts of the country and see where you want to live. That's what undergrad was for. If you really want to live in Kentucky, move there and work for 5-ish years then think about law school again.

This. The florida market is pretty brutal right now, and I can't imagine that it's any better in Kentucky (especially with no ties).

Quippy

Postby Quippy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:26 am

Everything about Kentucky is super insular. Almost everyone at UK is from here and nobody ever leaves (Lexington becomes small verrrry quickly). It's not a bad school if you plan on staying here but you absolutely need ties tbh.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:09 am

Don't go to Kentucky with no ties. That's foolish.
And don't go to UF at sticker.

Both of these options are bad.

KangarooCourt13

Postby KangarooCourt13 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:56 am

OP are these your only two options? I get wanting to leave Florida, but why is Kentucky the only other place to go?

FLalaw1

Postby FLalaw1 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:26 am

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post. I have only recently registered as a user, but have been reading posts on here over the past couple of months and have really gained valuable insight. I really wish I had discovered this website sooner in my application process (pre-LSAT would have been nice).

I have been focusing on Florida or KY for the sole purpose that I have family in both states. As I said in my original post, I was born and raised in central FL, and have most of my family here. I also have a parent in Lexington. I would really rather get out of FL long term, but do not want to put myself in a position where finding a job is harder than it needs to be due to me being an "outsider".

At this point, I'm not entirely sure what type of law I would like to go into, but I do know that I don't want big law and am leaning more towards public interest.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:57 am

You failed to mention that you have a parent in Kentucky from the outset. This probably does not change much, since you need strong regional connections at a school like UK. If your wish is pubic interest, you will probably have even more difficulties because local Kentucky kid will win out for that job every time.

Tasik32

Postby Tasik32 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:30 am

OP, in addition to the geographic concerns raised by other posters, be wary of UK's scholarship stipulations. According to UK's 509 report, 17 of the 88 scholarship offers of 2013-2014 were reduced or eliminated after the first year. You can find this info here http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/

Good luck.

LadyProspero

Postby LadyProspero » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:44 am

I live in Kentucky about an hour north of Lexington, and I've been down to UK a few times.

PM me if you have any questions. I can't speak to the legal market down there because I don't know, also not sure how "insular" it is, but generally from what I do know anywhere without ties is tough unless you're t14. I don't think it would be that hard to create ties in Lexington though, I don't feel like it's that exclusive of a market... Not like St. Louis or Florida, AFAIK.

As for the facilities being outdated... I thought they were building (or had built?) a new law school facility? Not sure when this is happening, or if it already did. I just know when I was perusing their website a few months back, I saw plans for the expansion.

Not pushing you either way, just my $0.02. Definitely only go on a full scholarship, or close to it. At least your risk will be minimized that way.

ETA: With a parent there, you could probably swing it. Though Quippy seems to have been there and knows more about this than I do. My experience with Lexington and UK is limited to the handful of times I have been down there, and I'm not applying anywhere in KY so my research is also limited.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”