Harvard (at sticker) v. Michigan with 40K a year? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Harvard (at sticker) v. Michigan with 40K a year?

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:15 am

racic22s wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Never heard of someone successfully negotiating with Harvard and they explicitly say they won't but go for it I guess?

Are you asking which one you should attend? You need to provide more info like career goals, etc (all the stuff in the sticky on the top of the choosing forum)

Why did you only apply to 5 of the T14?
I don't have super specific career goals right now. My main interests are in Intellectual Property (the copyrights side, not patents) and International Business. I'd like to work within the legal department of a major publishing house, particularly one with a transatlantic presence (like Houghton, Mifflin, Harcourt headquartered in Boston) or within a major legal firm that focuses on copyright, again particularly with an international scope. What most appeals to me about Harvard is their option of a dual JD/LLM with Cambridge in the UK, which actually has its own International Intellectual Property track and could position me well to practice in the UK for an international firm. True, it's a competitive program though that only takes up to 6 a year.

I only applied to 5 of the T14 as those were the only 5 that I was solidly interested in. Location is important to me, and I wanted to stay on the East Coast. I don't want to be in New York. I looked at Yale, but it didn't appeal to me. Initially I wasn't even thinking about Michigan, but after they bombarded me with a bit of mail, I started to fall in love a bit with the campus environment and there is a woman's college alum connection with the dean of admissions, who's been great to contact. Unlike Harvard, there's not any unique programs there that jump out at me, and it's not in an area where I'd like to stay long term (if I had to pick somewhere in the US to settle, it would by far be Boston), though I know that attending there doesn't mean I'd have to be placed in the area.

I want to go to Harvard. Michigan is more "meh." However, it seems like the more practical position financially. Harvard's COA is 85K a year, Michigan with the grant would be about 30K (factoring living into both of them).
I wouldn't place too much stock in the study abroad program. Several schools (Columbia, Yale, ect) also have Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Sciences Po, ect dual degree programs available. Michigan might even have one with Cambridge too, you'd have to ask their office of international programs.

for your goals, Harvard is certainly the stronger option. It's not worth $280,000, but you seem like the type that wouldn't be satisfied with a public school education anyway.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:17 am

racic22s wrote: Harvard does have a really interesting loan repayment program. If you graduate and are making less than 46K (yeah I know, not exciting), they'll make ALL your loan payments for you. If you make between 46-86K, you pay 20% after the 46K. If you make over 86K, you pay 90% over that number.
as another FYI, every T14 has a similar loan repayment program, and several -- like Yale, Columbia, and NYU -- are more generous than this.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:19 am

jbagelboy wrote:
racic22s wrote: Harvard does have a really interesting loan repayment program. If you graduate and are making less than 46K (yeah I know, not exciting), they'll make ALL your loan payments for you. If you make between 46-86K, you pay 20% after the 46K. If you make over 86K, you pay 90% over that number.
as another FYI, every T14 has a similar loan repayment program, and several -- like Yale, Columbia, and NYU -- are more generous than this.
yes but those other schools don't pay your loans with harvard dollars

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:27 am

The hell is a Sciences Po?

Oh, it's some stupid French thing. Is that where people go to become a Master in Detroit?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:50 am

racic22s wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Why did you not apply to the rest of T10? Laziness? Harvard at sticker/Michigan at 40k a year are both solid options. From your posts, it sounds like you're just gonna deposit at H anyway, and in that case, good luck.
I have a 176/3.96. Harvard was my reach; the others were safetys. I only applied to places that interested me.
u dun goofed. you should've applied to all the t14 for negotiation purposes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

djbatista

New

Post by djbatista » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:46 pm

What gets me is that even with OP's numbers, Harvard didn't offer any scholarship money? I mean that's insane. Less than 1/10 of 1% applicants will ever achieve stats like that. Can anyone explain this?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:48 pm

djbatista wrote:What gets me is that even with OP's numbers, Harvard didn't offer any scholarship money? I mean that's insane. Less than 1/10 of 1% applicants will ever achieve stats like that. Can anyone explain this?
very easily explained by the fact that Harvard doesn't offer merit based aid. They compute based on OP's parents salary and assets. Wouldn't matter if he had 180/4.2 rhodes scholar

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:49 pm

djbatista wrote:What gets me is that even with OP's numbers, Harvard didn't offer any scholarship money? I mean that's insane. Less than 1/10 of 1% applicants will ever achieve stats like that. Can anyone explain this?
Harvard, Yale, and Stanford don't offer merit based scholarships. Only need based.

djbatista

New

Post by djbatista » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:54 pm

Wow that's nuts. So you have to try negotiating or be very poor huh.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:37 pm

djbatista wrote:Wow that's nuts. So you have to try negotiating or be very poor huh.
No, there is no negotiating. They do not offer scholarships period. You either need to have very poor (or very rich) parents, be a veteran, or accept $270,000 in loans. Those are the only options for HYS.

Also, OP, it seems like you're just trying to get people to tell you to go to Harvard. So, fine. Go to Harvard. You seem really young and I doubt you're fully appreciating the magnitude of all those zeros, but you do you.

abl

Silver

Post by abl » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:48 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
djbatista wrote:Wow that's nuts. So you have to try negotiating or be very poor huh.
No, there is no negotiating. They do not offer scholarships period. You either need to have very poor (or very rich) parents, be a veteran, or accept $270,000 in loans. Those are the only options for HYS.
That's obviously not true when you look at the actual number of students at Harvard who receive aid: it's pretty clear that Harvard's offering some pretty substantial aid to many middle class folks.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:24 pm

abl wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
That's obviously not true when you look at the actual number of students at Harvard who receive aid: it's pretty clear that Harvard's offering some pretty substantial aid to many middle class folks.
I don't know where the line is/how Harvard computes it, but the point is that it's need based aid, not merit scholarships. You can't negotiate need based aid, unless you can show somehow that the numbers they used in computing it were wrong.

qwertyTLS

Bronze

Post by qwertyTLS » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:45 am

Michigan

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”