Berk vs. Cornell (and Michigan? Chi?) *Poll Added

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Berkeley, Cornell, Michigan, or Chicago?

Berkeley
45%
Cornell
32%
Michigan
19%
Chicago
3%

Total votes: 31

cron1834

Re: Berk vs. Cornell (and Michigan? Chi?) *Poll Added

Postby cron1834 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:44 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Cornell puts people in Cali. A large portion of the Cali students are going back to Cali. What is confusing about that?

The vote is currently 5-4-4, bro. Cornell is the cheapest, but also places the smallest percentage and raw total of its grads in California out of Berkeley, Michigan, and Cornell (and it's not close). Berkeley is obviously the most logical choice, but also obviously the most expensive. This is not an easy choice.

I feel like you're being surly just to be surly ITT.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:58 pm

cron1834 wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:Cornell puts people in Cali. A large portion of the Cali students are going back to Cali. What is confusing about that?

I feel like you're being surly just to be surly ITT.

I don't think he's being surly. He just became a Cornell schill after getting cheap drinks at ASW. It happens.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:00 pm

Free beer is the best beer.

hairbear7

Postby hairbear7 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Based on your goals id spend the extra on Berkeley

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Jim Jones told me I need more attitude in my posting style. So dat's what imma do.

Although OP, keep in mind that the raw numbers don't tell the whole story. A lot of people on this board tend to infer way too much from a few figures. It doesn't take into account self-selection, which I think this board is too quick to dismiss. Most Cornell grads will work in NYC, and not many will work in California.

However, since you will be competing with Berkeley grads anyway for spots at a Cali law firm, Berkeley is the better choice here for achieving your goals. That's if you can handle the the kind of lifestyle that comes with a higher debt load. It'll be a comfortable one for sure, but not as comfortable as your less indebted fellows.

Up to you bro.

sheishkabob

Postby sheishkabob » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:13 am

For Cornell, the consensus between current Cornell students I've spoken with seems to be that CA is an uphill battle. I think I'm heavily leaning Berk right now...thanks for all your help!

sheishkabob

Postby sheishkabob » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Chicago came back with 45k. Edited the figures to more concrete/final final numbers...does this change anything?

Edit: I guess my main question is, would Chicago offer any advantages over Berkeley in CA? When I went to Chicago's ASW, it seemed like getting a high paying job was a joke/cake-walk, where every door was open and career services would bust ass for even below median students. Berkeley didn't give me that vibe...it was definitely more PI focused/disorganized and they had to convince us more that we would get a great job whereas Chicago was more big bucks or bust-no questions asked. Multiple current Chicago students I spoke with didn't even have to go through OCI and got offers at LA V10 firms just through networking events. Was I brainwashed at Chi and Berk=Chi for CA, or is there any advantage?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”