FIU (full-ride) vs. UF (sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flagirl305

New

FIU (full-ride) vs. UF (sticker)

Post by flagirl305 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:49 pm

I've narrowed it down to these two schools but Im still having a very difficult time deciding. I got into FIU law with a full-ride and a $5000 grant and I got into UF but with no money at all. FIU COA would be between $30,000-$40,000 depending on where I live and UF would be in the neighborhood of $85,000. I know UF is the better school with a much larger alumni base but is it worth the extra debt? Id probably like to practice in either Orlando, Tallahassee, or Fort Lauderdale after graduation. No desire to really work in Miami unless Im offered some great job there.

So...UF or FIU?

Username123

Silver

Re: FIU (full-ride) vs. UF (sticker)

Post by Username123 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:59 pm

flagirl305 wrote:I've narrowed it down to these two schools but Im still having a very difficult time deciding. I got into FIU law with a full-ride and a $5000 grant and I got into UF but with no money at all. FIU COA would be between $30,000-$40,000 depending on where I live and UF would be in the neighborhood of $85,000. I know UF is the better school with a much larger alumni base but is it worth the extra debt? Id probably like to practice in either Orlando, Tallahassee, or Fort Lauderdale after graduation. No desire to really work in Miami unless Im offered some great job there.

So...UF or FIU?
How is UF only 85k while paying sticker?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Florida.

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:00 pm

flagirl305 wrote:I've narrowed it down to these two schools but Im still having a very difficult time deciding. I got into FIU law with a full-ride and a $5000 grant and I got into UF but with no money at all. FIU COA would be between $30,000-$40,000 depending on where I live and UF would be in the neighborhood of $85,000. I know UF is the better school with a much larger alumni base but is it worth the extra debt? Id probably like to practice in either Orlando, Tallahassee, or Fort Lauderdale after graduation. No desire to really work in Miami unless Im offered some great job there.

So...UF or FIU?
1) How would you be financing? are those COA totals or per year?
2) What kind of law do you want to practice?
3) what are your numbers and how many times did you take the LSAT?
4) K-JD or Work Experience?

flagirl305

New

Post by flagirl305 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:06 pm

So...UF or FIU?
How is UF only 85k while paying sticker?[/quote]

$22k for tuition 3years = 66k plus about $15-20k for living expenses
Last edited by flagirl305 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

djbatista

New

Post by djbatista » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:09 pm

I'm in the same situation. I'm picking UF because the point of law school is to get a good job and be happy and successful. While FIU can certainly help us do this, UF is clearly the better option. The truth is life is full of payments and debts for most people anyway; it's not like choosing FIU and saving 60k would eliminate that reality. That 85k spent at UF will go much further. There are better connections, a stronger alumni network, and ultimately more high-paying job opportunities.

Edit: Even if you're looking for government work, the prospects for a good position and well paying job are much better from UF.
Last edited by djbatista on Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flagirl305

New

Post by flagirl305 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:10 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:

So...UF or FIU?
1) How would you be financing? are those COA totals or per year?
2) What kind of law do you want to practice?
3) what are your numbers and how many times did you take the LSAT?
4) K-JD or Work Experience?
Those are the three year totals. If it was per year i wouldn't go at those costs. Financing through loans with some support through family. I would ideally like to do government work but not at all averse to private practice. Some connections through internships but nothing significant.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:05 pm

flagirl305 wrote:

So...UF or FIU?
$22k for tuition 3years = 66k plus about $15-20k for living expenses[/quote]

I would say UF over three years, including interest, is at least 100k. Have to include misc. expenses, health insurance, COL (which idk how you could live off 5-7k per year, but do you...)

Regardless, UF at 100k is tough. Do you know what you want to do?

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:12 pm

$15-20k for living expenses over three years?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seizmaar

Silver

Post by seizmaar » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:17 pm

don't go to fiu

flagirl305

New

Post by flagirl305 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
flagirl305 wrote:

So...UF or FIU?
I would say UF over three years, including interest, is at least 100k. Have to include misc. expenses, health insurance, COL (which idk how you could live off 5-7k per year, but do you...)

Regardless, UF at 100k is tough. Do you know what you want to do?[/quote]

COL is cheap in Gainesville. I'd probably find a roomate and pay around 400-500 a month. If not, Corry and Maguire village are cheap options for on campus graduate housing. My parents would cover the misc. expenses, and I'd stay on their health care plan. I'd only be taking on loans for tuition and living. Ideally, I'd like to clerk for a judge. If I can't do that, I'd prefer govt work to private practice. Not averse to private practice tho. All in all it would probably be a 50k difference in COA. The big question is whether UF is worth the extra 50k...

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:23 pm

flagirl305 wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:
flagirl305 wrote:

So...UF or FIU?

Regardless, UF at 100k is tough. Do you know what you want to do?
COL is cheap in Gainesville. I'd probably find a roomate and pay around 400-500 a month. If not, Corry and Maguire village are cheap options for on campus graduate housing. My parents would cover the misc. expenses, and I'd stay on their health care plan. I'd only be taking on loans for tuition and living. Ideally, I'd like to clerk for a judge. If I can't do that, I'd prefer govt work to private practice. Not averse to private practice tho. All in all it would probably be a 50k difference in COA. The big question is whether UF is worth the extra 50k...[/quote]

What are your numbers? retaking the LSAT might make you look at 50K total, instead of extra for UF...

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:24 pm

flagirl305 wrote:COL is cheap in Gainesville. I'd probably find a roomate and pay around 400-500 a month. If not, Corry and Maguire village are cheap options for on campus graduate housing. My parents would cover the misc. expenses, and I'd stay on their health care plan. I'd only be taking on loans for tuition and living. Ideally, I'd like to clerk for a judge. If I can't do that, I'd prefer govt work to private practice. Not averse to private practice tho. All in all it would probably be a 50k difference in COA. The big question is whether UF is worth the extra 50k...
UF is definitely worth the extra 50k when compared to FIU.

Are you K-JD? If so, you might want to consider retaking and reapplying, while getting a job and saving money. A retake could save you about 100k by getting a full ride to UF and/or getting you into better schools with money.
Last edited by Username123 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flagirl305

New

Post by flagirl305 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:25 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:$15-20k for living expenses over three years?
I would say the average monthly payment on an apartment with a roommate would be 400-500. 500x36=18,000. I could probably find something cheaper if I found a room in a house or a room in a 4b/4ba apartment. The 400-500 is assuming I have one roommate. If i don't have a roommate, i'd just live on campus for around 500 a month.

flagirl305

New

Post by flagirl305 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:How is UF only 85k while paying sticker?
$22k for tuition 3years = 66k plus about $15-20k for living expenses[/quote]

Regardless, UF at 100k is tough. Do you know what you want to do?[/quote]

COL is cheap in Gainesville. I'd probably find a roomate and pay around 400-500 a month. If not, Corry and Maguire village are cheap options for on campus graduate housing. My parents would cover the misc. expenses, and I'd stay on their health care plan. I'd only be taking on loans for tuition and living. Ideally, I'd like to clerk for a judge. If I can't do that, I'd prefer govt work to private practice. Not averse to private practice tho. All in all it would probably be a 50k difference in COA. The big question is whether UF is worth the extra 50k...[/quote]

UF is definitely worth the extra 50k when compared to FIU.

Are you K-JD? If so, you might want to consider retaking and reapplying, while getting a job and saving money. A retake could save you about 100k by getting a full ride to UF and/or getting you into better schools with money.[/quote]

I am, but taking a year off isn't an option. I would like to retake the LSAT and I know thats TCR but I am not in a position to do so.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:34 pm

flagirl305 wrote:I am, but taking a year off isn't an option. I would like to retake the LSAT and I know thats TCR but I am not in a position to do so.
Everyone can take a year (or preferably more) off. Why not?

flagirl305

New

Post by flagirl305 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:35 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
flagirl305 wrote:I am, but taking a year off isn't an option. I would like to retake the LSAT and I know thats TCR but I am not in a position to do so.
Everyone can take a year (or preferably more) off. Why not?
PMed

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”